What is Prague like on Sundays???

Jul 2nd, 2006, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

What is Prague like on Sundays???

I usually hate planning anything in Europe on a Sunday. Unlike the USA, everything always seems to be closed. What about in Prague?
Jul 2nd, 2006, 03:23 PM

Most of the tourist things are open. The castle was open, but the cathedral had was closed for mass (I think from 9-12 or something, it's in all the guide books). But I missed that fact and got there early (to miss the crowds) - about 8:30, and not only was I able to go in for free, I got to hear the choir practicing. It was the most magical experience of my whole time there. The sun was streaming in the stained glass, the music was so beautiful. I left after about an hour and at that time there was a guard at the door telling people they could only come in if they were going to mass. The rest of the castle was open, all the grounds, the park behind it, etc. Plus, the best thing to do in Prague, just wandering the streets, can be done Sunday or any time.
Jul 4th, 2006, 08:00 PM

I actually like Sundays in Prague. You can definitely catch a beautiful mass at a church, but you can also shop, go to a museum, see a concert, eat, climb a tower, take a boat ride, etc, etc... If it's nice, one of my favorite things is to hike Petrin Hill, or visit the Vysehrad cemetery. Sundays are less hectic traffic wise, but most things that tourists frequent will be open. I don't think you'll have a problem, at all.
Jul 5th, 2006, 02:22 AM

I know just what you mean about Sundays. We have been to places on Sunday and felt that we wasted a day of our holiday.
Fortunately , Prague is wonderful every day
Jul 5th, 2006, 07:39 AM

The sites in the Jewish Quarter of Old Town are all closed on Saturday, so Sunday is a good time to take them in.
Jul 5th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thats weird, why would they close a sight on a Saturday? It seems like it would be the busiest day of the week.
Jul 5th, 2006, 08:29 AM

saturday is the jewish sabbath
Jul 5th, 2006, 08:37 AM

I just got back from Prague (this morning). Unlike France, lots of shops, museums, restaurants, etc were open on Sunday.
Jul 5th, 2006, 08:37 AM

I am Christian myself, but if I understand it Jews who run the places in the Jewish quarter of Prague hold Saturday as the Sabbath, holy, so close their places of honour then.

The Czech Republic is like the rest of central Europe, from Germany and Poland to Bulgaria, in that the government closes most tourist attractions on Mondays, to give staff time off. The concentration camp in Ausschwitz and the deeply moving camp for artists, writers and children in Terezin, an hour north of Prague, differ again, as they are open daily.

Another pleasure of Sunday morning is to find a church service in English. The city has services in the Episcopalian, Roman Catholic, and I think Baptist traditions. Sites I know are http://www.anglican.cz/ and www.internationalchurchofprague.cz/ . The site http://prague.tv/prague/religion/churches covers several denominations. You would phone or e mail churches to find where to hear the Roman Catholic Mass in English.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]

Jul 9th, 2006, 07:44 PM

Mr. Haines, For finding a Catholic Mass, www.masstimes.org is an invaluable resource.

Search this Thread