Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is going on with Air France at CDG this week?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 04:01 AM
Jayme

I heard that Air France was causing chaos at the Paris airport this week, what is going on?<BR>I hope is over by Friday!!

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 04:09 AM
Frenchie

maybe they finally found all that lost luggage!!!!

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 04:48 AM
wantstoknow

I'm flying into CDG tomorrow! Is there something going on there I should know about?

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 05:30 AM
jayme

wantstoknow,<BR><BR>I read that the Air France pilots on strike for a 10% pay increase.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Christina

AF employees go on strike several times a year, it seems. This strike was announced well over a month ago, as I recall. I can't imagine where you read that they are causing chaos at the airport, as I've read the most recent news bulletins (an hour ago) from Agence France Presse and other French news sources and they say it isn't causing hardly any noticeable problems at all, maybe delays of a few minutes. I believe they are striking on an anti-privatisation issue. I think it is only scheduled for today.<BR><BR>What is more interesting is that there is a demonstration in Paris today of hundreds of prostitutes (just as many as AF employees) protesting the interior minister Sarkozy's proposal to increase fines for solicitation to 6 months in jail and/or 7500 euros (not sure if both or not). I know he proposed previously to deport all non-EU prostitutes from Paris, not sure how that is going (EU prostitutes liked that proposal, I think). What is interesting is his proposal for fines not only for actual solicitation but for looking like you are soliciting or something like that, as I read it--so I think you can get fined or arrested not only for actually saying something but for looking like you mean it.