What is going on in Newark today?

Mar 5th, 2001, 03:51 AM
Posts: n/a
What is going on in Newark today?

We are scheduled to fly from Newark to Rome on Tuesday evening and I unerstand that a winter storm is coming to that area. We live in Glens Falls and it is not too bad here on Monday morning. I would like to hear from those in Newark-NYC area how is it there now. Are there any flights caceled? Are things going be better for tomorrow evening? What do you think, what did you hear?
Mar 5th, 2001, 04:51 AM
Posts: n/a
In Trenton area, about 45 miles SW of Newark, there's just a thin coat of crispy (somewhat icy) snow. Since the gov. declared a state of emergency last night (i.e. too soon), all gov't offices are closed, special road crews are out and people are encouraged not to drive. I don't know about the airports.
Mar 5th, 2001, 04:58 AM
Posts: n/a
I just spoke to my boyfriend who works in NYC and he says it's just raining right now and farily mild. I also just spoke to my mother who is stuck in Florida. She was due to return today on Delta, but all flights have been canceled due to icy conditions in NYC. This morning there was a thin layer of icy snow, but it's changed to rain. Snowstorm is expected...who knows when? I would imagine most flights to and from Newark are canceled today as well.
Mar 5th, 2001, 04:59 AM
Posts: n/a
Nancy, I would imagine flights are canceled for tomorrow, too. But we'll have to wait and see. Good luck!
Mar 5th, 2001, 05:31 AM
Posts: n/a
Hi, I'm in New Jersey about 30 minutes from Newark airport. It's icy here, with a combination of snow and ice on the ground from last night. We are supposed to get another storm tonight which is predicted to dump 1-2 feet of snow by Tuesday morning. Right now the airports are NOT closed, but flights are being delayed/cancelled.

Newark airport rarely closes and because of its location (east coast of NJ), it doesn't get the worst of snow. There is a good possibility that the Newark to Rome flight will take off tomorrow night. Anyone who is flying to Newark to make a connection will probably run into problems tomorrow.
Mar 5th, 2001, 05:43 AM
Posts: n/a
I hate to be the prophet of doom, but the worst of the storm has yet to hit us! The northeast/middle Atlantic states area is slated for a foot or more starting later today.
However, on the bright side, things could be okay by late Tuesday afternoon. Either way, check, I'd say check with the airlines tomorrow morning.
Today can only bring bad news, if the forecast is accurate.
Mar 5th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Posts: n/a


Just spoke with a friend who flew in to Newark this morning from Charlotte, SC on US Air. She took off on time and landed on time but overheard someone say that her flight was the last one leaving. As others have stated previously the worst of the storm is coming later today through tomorrow.

Best of luck traveling to Rome!
Mar 5th, 2001, 09:03 AM
Posts: n/a

You probably should call your airline to verify whether or not tonight's outgoing flight (Monday nite) is still a go --- that is if you can get thru to them. Phone traffic is extremely high right now (we've had difficulty getting thru to co-workers up in headquarters, located in New Jersey).

IF the outgoing flight to Rome is cancelled for tonight, THEN they'll try to re-book as many of those folks on the next one which may impact your flight on Tuesday. And obviously, you should get to the airport in sufficient time for check-in as your seats now become a very valuable commodity. I don't know your plans or your level of flexibility, however this sounds like a possible 'bumping' opportunity may present itself. If that is something you could do, be aware that during check-in, you can pro-actively ask agent if they're over-booked and would give you something (usually a voucher for future travel) if you volunteered to give up your ticket for the next flight out.

Last year on a domestic flight (Delta Airlines) I checked in & asked them if they needed my seat --- night before had been a major thunderstorm with many flight cancellations. Agent went ahead & took my seat, re-booked me on next flight (several hrs. later), gave me a $500 voucher for future travel on Delta, a $10 voucher to be used in terminal for lunch, and a 10 minute phone card so I could call and let my family know I'd be taking the later flight. Again, do note that I pro-actively asked for the phone card & meal voucher.
Mar 5th, 2001, 09:39 AM
Posts: n/a
I don't know what airline you are on but, Continental and Northwest have "pre-canceled" about half their flights today into Newark in order to relieve conjestion. Other airlines are being asked to do the same. the outbound flights should be OK assuming they have a flight crew who is ready to go (i.e. had enough rest)
Good luck and keep checking with your airline AND the airport.
Mar 5th, 2001, 09:58 AM
Posts: n/a
You might also check the airline's website; many are posting current weather conditions, expected and current delays, what to do, etc.
Mar 5th, 2001, 10:45 AM
Posts: n/a
And even if the weather doesn't turn out to be quite as catastrophic, you still need to check on whether your flight will depart. Don't forget that not only do they need to have a flight crew available, but the airplane itself! If they've cancelled flights today, then planes may or may not be in the right city --- once you start cancelling you begin a domino effect that impact other locations.
Mar 5th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Posts: n/a
Nancy-- is this Glen Falls, NY? If it is, I actually think the worse would be to get to Newark from Glen Falls (I-87 may be close down in the AM). I believe there is a good probability your flight may be able to take off by nightime tomorrow from Newark. Try to get the best guess on the chances you'll get to Newark safely.
Mar 5th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Posts: n/a
I think there's a good chance your flight will stay intact, because they've really downgraded snow expectations for the NYC area, and are now saying they expect only 1-3 inches by Tuesday noon. Iciness will probably be the deciding factor.
Mar 5th, 2001, 11:11 AM
Kay in NJ
Posts: n/a
My office closed early.

I drove home fine.

Now where's the snow?

And where are all those weathermen? Hiding because they may have been wrong?
Mar 5th, 2001, 11:15 AM
Posts: n/a
Hi again Nancy,

About 20 minutes ago the giant snow flakes began to fall steadily. I live 30 miles west of Newark airport. The storm is moving toward the east since a friend of mine reports clear weather in Summit (mid way between myself and Newark). The weather channel just posted 6 to 10 inches by Tuesday evening. Hopefully they'll be wrong and the major snow will pass us by and move into New England faster.

Mar 5th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Posts: n/a
I hope you don't get the snow, and that they called wolf. It seems to me that the more weather equipment and tracking ability that they get- it still doesn't equate to the more accurate they get. We got two feet plus of snow in Illinois and used up most of our salt supply in December, and still never closed down most the town, until we were on the third blizzard day. I was really happily shocked, to see that common sense is starting to prevail and that the BIG APPLE has pre-closed to some extent. Maybe Chicago area officials and business owners will take some example from this and not continue to send people into blizzard conditions.
I also would be more concerned about your possible trip to the airport than the flight itself.
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
United States
Dec 27th, 2004 10:22 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:58 AM.