What is going on Amsterdam right now?

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 07:24 AM
Kate

What is going on Amsterdam right now?

We are leaving for Amsterdam tomorrow and are eager to find out if there are any activities that shouldn't be missed besides museums where we will spend plenty of time. We are not interested in Red District, smoking pot and nightlife. How about concerts, flowers, walking private tours, etc.? Thank you for your suggestions

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:52 AM
Myriam

I advise you to go right to the Tourist Office upon your arrival in Amsterdam airport. It is located in hall no. 2 and open from 7 am till 10 pm.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 09:00 AM
Kate

I was hoping for personal recommendations but thanks anyway

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:45 AM
anon

Hi, I lived in Amsterdam. There's a lot to do besides the red light, pot scene. Leidseplain is a nice square there as well as the Dam Square to walk around and Kalverstraat is the shopping street next to it if you lke shopping. It's much cheaper than PC Hoofdstratt, which is the expensive shopping street (but very nice) You MUST try an Indonesian rice table for dinner one night- Raden Mas in Amsterdam is great, or an even better one is Sahid Jaya, very elegant and great food and wine. Go to the Jordaan to do antique shopping. For the rest there' Rijksmuseum (impressive museum), Anne Frank hous (long line, not big but everyone likes to see it). I personally had fun going to a small village called Staphorst one time, kind of a drive from Amsterdam, but they still wear the traditional dutch clothing there in reality, it's the only place that still does. Have pancakes for dinner one night, there's a huge selection. Dutch food is like german food, heavy on the potatoes.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 02:03 PM
melva

I have been to Amsterdam three times, I would recommend the area around the Vondelkirk, and the edge of Vondelpark which is adjacent to it. It is a bit early for flowers. other than crocus and snowdrops (I think) but things will be budding, and 'fixing to bloom'
Have a great time! I wish I was going with you.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 05:30 PM
Kate

Thank you Anon and Melva. I'm printing out your recommendations as they sound great. We will return to Amsterdam on March 14th. Are there flowers anywhere mid-March or should I forget about this activity.
Where are Raden Mas and Sahid Jaya located? How to dress for these places?
Do my husband needs to wear a tie or they are informal?

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 09:22 PM
Connie

Dear Anon and Melva,
I was in Amsterdam many years ago and am returning to spend more time during the last week of March. Please share with us the addresses of the two wonderful restaurants you recommended - Raden Mas and Sahid Jaya and also if you could please, a recommendation on a good place to try Dutch food.

I heard there is a also a flower festival in Lisse? How do I get there from Amsterdam and is it worth visiting?

My daughter is 12 and I would like to take her to the country side to walk in a small flower or "cheese" village. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated very much.

Thank you,
Connie

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 01:32 AM
raya

Don't miss the show, now in Amsterdam of Cirque Du Soleile - Saltimbanco- feb 14-April 14.
Great restaurant - Blender , ask taxi driver

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 05:12 AM
Al

To get to Lisse (and Keukenhof Gardens), there are at least two ways. Take a bus tour (on the Dam Square) or go to Centraal Station, buy a ticket to Haarlem (trains run frequently and take about 20 minutes) and transfer to a waiting bus. Whatever, avoid renting a car because the parking and traffic can be difficult at times. Also, this is the year of Floriade, an every-10-years event, where a wonderful floral display is created near Amsterdam and last all spring,summer,fall. Marvelous. See if they have a web site. Never to be forgotten. Should begin, I guess, in April.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 05:19 AM
Sally

What exactly is Floriade? I went to their website, and they did not yet have schedules for this year.Where is it located?