Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What is favorite cafe, shop, bakery, spot in the 6th? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-is-favorite-cafe-shop-bakery-spot-in-the-6th-593153/)

Heavens Feb 21st, 2006 02:40 PM

What is favorite cafe, shop, bakery, spot in the 6th?

Going on our first trip in April/May. Staying seven nights and plan to hang in the area quite a bit, walking, walking and exploring. Any particular places you would like to recommend in the district or nearby for eating, shopping, hanging out in?

We are staying at the St. Germain des Pres on Bonaparte, if that helps for our exact location. Thanks happy travelers.

Beatchick Feb 21st, 2006 03:09 PM

Village Voice for books & book readings. I met David Sedaris there about a week and a half ago doing a reading from an upcoming NY Times story.

Café de la Marie for un café, proximity to St-Sulpice (my new favorite interior of a church in Paris) and historic ties to Henry Miller.

Gérard Mulot on the rue de Seine for the divine tartre citron (I bought 2, gave 1 to a homeless teen & ate the other - sublime!).

Debauve & Gallais for trés fantastique chocolates.

Poilane for fantastic bread - located on the rue du Cherche Midi.

Café de Flore for divine soupe a l'oignon gratinée (and very expensive, too).

The fruit & veggie stand on the rue de Buci for ravishing, fresh, HUGE raspberries (and in February, too).

Bonbonnière de Buci at 12 rue de Buci for great tea upstairs and beautiful luscious patisseries downstairs. Went here with SFowler, Starspinners & Michael Osman here last Friday and we all loved it!

L'Hôtel for fantastic drinks & fantastic service. Went here twice within the past 2 weeks & found it to be sympathetique & cozy. :)

klondike Feb 21st, 2006 03:22 PM

Le Be Bop piano bar. Descend from Bonaparte down r. Buci. At the corner where you see the floral shop "Aquarelles" (and across from the famous Amorino Gelati) is rue Grégoire de Tours. This little resto is down from the Grand Hotel de l'Univers. Excellent traditional food (good escargots) while enjoying live piano in an environment that is "très sympa". Don't get taken by the cheaper, La Citrouille, next to it...it's cheap because they use a lot of canned product instead of fresh. Le Bee Bop is much better!

ecat Feb 21st, 2006 03:26 PM

Beatchick, I am so envious you met David Sedaris, in Paris too! What fun.

Best, Eileen

Beatchick Feb 22nd, 2006 03:56 AM

Eileen, it was fantastic! He mentioned that Diane Johnson might show up for his meeting and I was surprised that they might know each other. I just think that writers must be an insular group. :)

He also told me to run, RUN to the nearest cinema so that I might see a movie in complete & utter silence, something completely different than what we get in America. So I did. Saw Niagara with Marilyn Monroe one night & Alamo Bay another night (they were doing a Louis Malle perspective).

David was so nice & extremely hilarious!

Heavens Feb 22nd, 2006 06:36 AM

Need more cafes, chocolate shops, ice cream??? Oh yea, and bakeries.

Where would be the nearest crepe stand from this area?

Thanks a bunch.

tcreath Feb 22nd, 2006 06:39 AM

I'm not sure if its the nearest to where you are staying, but there is a crepe stand on the corner right outside of St. Germain church. Its where I experienced my first crepe, and it was excellent!

Tracy

ira Feb 22nd, 2006 06:47 AM

Hi H,

For crepes, walk S on Rue Bonaparte and cross Boul St. Germain. There is a very good crepe stand on the corner, just adjacent to the church.

Pierre Herme' and Laduree have shops on rue Bonaparte.

See www.pagesjaune.fr

The World’s Best Croissant bakery is at Rue Madam and Rue Vaugirarde.

The Marche' St Germaine has a very good food market.

((I))

Heavens Feb 22nd, 2006 06:50 AM

OK, the most important question. Am looking for a fall back cafe, you know...tired, been walking, sightseeing, didn't get around to eating. Want to stay in the area, sit at a nearby cafe, park ourselves down and drink and sip wine and enjoy a little bread, cheese, pate, soup kind of place, watch the world go by...anything like this close to our area? Or a six, seven eight block radius? With good food?

SuzieC Feb 22nd, 2006 07:30 AM

great little bakery with good coffee too at the end of St. Severin ... in front of the church (I think...)

ira Feb 22nd, 2006 07:57 AM

Hi H,

>Am looking for a fall back cafe, you know...tired, been walking, sightseeing, didn't get around to eating. <

Goodness. You will be in Paris. Just find a place that looks OK, check the menu and park. :)

((I))

SharonG Feb 22nd, 2006 07:59 AM

David Sedaris and Paris??? I'm green with envy.

otto Feb 22nd, 2006 08:44 AM

heavens...indeed, asking for a cafe to stop and park, is like asking for a starbucks in nyc. you can throw a stone anywhere in paris, and hit a wonderful cafe.

st. sulpice is also now my top spot favorite cathedral...haven't been to chartres yet though...

ecat Feb 22nd, 2006 09:20 AM

Off the subject again but Beatchick I had to let you know you inspired me to purchase tickets to see David speak here in CA on 4/30.

This show will be just days before we leave for London and then Paris so I have after all come back to the subject of travel.

E

rhona Feb 22nd, 2006 09:23 AM

bookmarking

Beatchick Feb 22nd, 2006 09:55 AM

Oh, Klondike, I'd forgotten about Amorino! Yes, their gelato is wonderful. I love the way you get 2 flavors to the cone & they wrap one flavor around the other instead of piling 2 scoops on top of one another. I think I got a cherry-flavored gelato & a lemon/citron flavored one.

:D Haha - didn't mean to make you jealous, SharonG! It's so funny because I didn't know he was going to be there. I was scoping out the place to buy a book &amp; to see if this was the bookstore setting for the poetry reading scene in <b>Le Divorce</b>. Indeed it is, per owner, Odile, although she explained that the movie wasn't filmed there but instead they created a set to exactly recreate the place. In fact, when I walked in I recognized it immediately. Anyway, imagine my surprise when I walked in &amp; David Sedaris was there! I told him I'd told my husband about how David doesn't see attractions in Paris but rather spends his days chasing from one end of Paris to the other to see films in his story &quot;The City of Light after Dark&quot; (from <u>Me Talk Pretty One Day</u>) and that we both thought it was hilarious. That's when he told me how amazingly quiet it is in the theatres &amp; that I must run, RUN to see one. Indeed, he's right. There's tons of talking in the theatre but the *moment* the title flashes across the screen all is still and quiet.

Otto, isn't St-Sulpice stunning inside? It was quite breath taking.

Eileen, I think you'll find David to be charmingly HILARIOUS in his readings. BTW, David's ph# &amp; address are listed in www.pagesjaunes.fr. I very nearly called him afterwards to thank him for the theatre experience tip. ;)

Beatchick Feb 22nd, 2006 09:56 AM

Oh, and Heavens, I have a list of crepes by arrondissement if you'd like to e-mail me.

Indygirl2 Feb 22nd, 2006 10:57 AM

David Sedaris lives about a block from my favorite hotel!! I'm a huge fan....

I second many of the recommendations you've already gotten: Cafe de la Mairie, Gerald Mulot, Amorino's. For a quick but tasty sandwich, I really like Cosi at 54 rue de Seine. I had a great roast chicken at Aux Charpentiers at 10 rue Mabillon. I love Saint Sulpice and the surrounding area at nearly any time of day. Lots of restaurants, shops and people watching. Jardin de Luxembourg, especially on a sunny day, is also a great place to go.

ecat Feb 22nd, 2006 11:35 AM

Beatchick,

Fortunately for David he will be on tour while I am in Paris but I will have to walk by his place. Thanks for that reminder from his book about the movies houses in Paris - might have to try that there as well just to see. One of my big pet peeves is people talking through the movie grrrrr!

Tried to search for Johnny Depp on that site too, alas he is not listed.

E

Underhill Feb 22nd, 2006 12:14 PM

Our favorite caf&eacute;/boulangerie is Paul's, on the Rue de Buci. The famous Kayser bakery is only about a block and a half away, but we preferred the atmosphere at Paul's--and my husband thought the hot chocolate there beat what he'd had at Angelina.