What is cute town close to Taormina?

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Hels

What is cute town close to Taormina?

Read somewhere there is a charming town about 2 km from Taormina by bus. We will only be in Messina for one day by cruise ship. Plan to see Taormina but thought it might be neat to go to a smaller less touristy village. Also read somewhere for my kids--could take a bus to some great beach. Is it the one at Cefalu. Give me as much info about this town as possible. Thanks. Hels

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Robyn France

Just a few miles from Taormina is a beautiful town--Naxos--with a breathtaking waterfront, lovely shops and the Greek ruins of Naxos --we were there in March and it was sunny and filled with flowers, no tourists at all--didn't see another soul at the ruins, which are a lovely walk--not much information. If you want a quiet couple of hours, I highly recommend--much more lovely than a Messina. Taormina itself is picture perfect--we loved it, but went in March a low tourist month. All in all, we loved that part of Sicily.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 12:45 AM
Jo

Giardini/Naxos is below Taormina and is a great place - the ruins of Naxos, the first ancient greek settlement in Sicily are only partially exposed in a citrus grove and it is very peaceful to get away from the Vespas and paved piazzas. Castalmola is the hilltown above Taormina only 15 minutes by bus from the bus station in Taormina. It is picturesque with magnificent views across Mt Etna and the coast and is all little alleys and steps and piazzas without traffic. We ate at a great little restuarant there on a terrace with that magnificent view. Enjoy.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 01:28 AM
Vincenzo

Hels,
I agree with Jo. Don't miss Castelmola!
It is wonderful and with a magnificent view. In the bar have a taste of their vino di mandorle. The suggested restaurant is "Il Maniero", in the upper part of the town.
Have a nice trip.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 09:57 PM
H

Castelmola it is!! That is name of town I was seeking! Sounds delightful.Now one more question--for my kids--when in Taormina which beach to hit and how to get there--which bus etc. Thanks. h