Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is considered a "good" price on airfare to italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to fly out of orlando on march 2nd 2006 (thursday) to rome and depart rome on March 20th 2006 (monday).

THe lowest fare i have seen for 2 people is 1169.60 after taxes on AA.

Is that a good price?

Also is it generally more expensive to fly into say rome and leave via milan or venice?

thanks in advance!!!! Looking to book this by no later than next week
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 05:45 AM

For March you should be able to do better. I would set $800 as a goal and keep looking. You may not get bargains until Dec. Open jaw should not be much more if any.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 05:46 AM

Oops ! Disregard---I just saw for 2 people.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 06:00 AM

I just purchased an open jaw flight from Austin, into Zurich and out of Rome, for March/April. $636 pp. There was no difference for a r/t fare.

To me, the most I could hope to save is another $100 pp if the fares drop. I'd rather have the ticket booked now as several of our first-choice accommodations were already booked. I just felt it was time to get something solidified rather than waiting and not having another choice available to me.

Happy travels!
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

fogive me but what is open jaw?
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 06:06 AM

Open jaw = flying into one city and out of another (for example: into Rome and out of Venice). Usually the cost difference between an open jaw and a regular roundtrip is negligible, if there is a cost difference at all. It can definitely be a great time saver.

Tracy
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 06:06 AM

I think it's when you fly into one city but leave from another. It's very good if you're doing a lot of moving around so you don't have to backtrack. I think that these are really good prices. I'm trying to find fares from toronto to rome for May 2006 but I can't seem to find anything cheaper than 1000 after taxes for 1 person!!!
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 06:11 AM

looked it up and right now thats about the cheapest. Fares could drop a little but with the price of fuel, that isn't too bad. There is one catch... a flight from Orlando to Rome on American required 2 stops. That makes for a long trip and increases your possibility for a missed connection.

You best bet for a 1 stop flight may be on Air Canada thru Toronto at $481 r/t, I just checked their websight.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 06:13 AM

I recently booked on Orbitz for $500RT including taxes from DC to Florence in November.

I subsequently booked someone later for the same trip for a few dollars more.

The 2 for $1169 (all taxes included) doesn't sound too far off of that out of Orlando.

Orbitz lets you search for the best fare a month at a time if you are flexible.

kakalena
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 06:24 AM

oops, that Air Canada fare I posted didn't include taxes, that was a little tricky. They are quoting the fare at $672 r/t with tax. Thats the next best you will probably find after the double connection on American.

March is not a peek time to travel, You could wait until a few months before the trip and keep checking. If the seats don't sell the airlines will have promotions.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 06:58 AM

Keep in mind that Orlando is high season in March; flights are priced accordingly, even if it's not high season in Rome.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 09:17 AM

try searching through travelocity and then go to the direct websites for the airlines or call them directly. I see some fares for 400 or so right now.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 09:34 AM

Travellerwannabe: If you can wait until January or February, you may (note: MAY) be able to cut $100-200 off that fare. But in my experience, airfares between Canada (I'm in Montreal) and Italy never go below about $950, which is what I paid in August for travel in October, which is not in as much demand as May.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 10:16 AM

Thanks Eloise
I'll probably wait. It sounds cheaper to fly to Orlando and then to Rome then it is to go straight to Rome!!!
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 10:40 AM

I checked Orbitz. The lowest 1 stop fare today (march 2 march 20 )MCO - FCO)is $657 per person, including taxes. And I'm sure they will add a charge for deivering a paper ticket.

Your fare sounds pretty good.
Maybe I'll check AA for my March trip to Europe!
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 11:02 AM

AA will not be starting their Chicago non-stop to Rome flights in 2006 until April 3rd.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 11:13 AM

I checked the AA site and the PRICES ARE EXCELLENT. (I looked a March flight from Tampa to Vienna that returns from Budapest).

$ 572 fare is excellent. But all those stops? Also, getting to the destination later stinks! Even when you get a great schedule the flights tend to get changed around or cancelled. So what happens when you start off with a really crappy itinerary?

You have to figure out how much you are willing to save at the expense of precious vacation time.

Since flying to me is a pretty much a miserable experience, only bearable because after some amount of time you always forget how miserable the flight it was. I could only guess that it like giving birth.

Any way, since I may not want be able to afford anything more maybe I'll go for the bargain. And that is why year after year I fly Delta/ Song who they tend to have the lowest price in my market, and year after year I swear I’ll never fly Delta again.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Doble_Vergasser

Reckoning,

Your $1,170 total for two seems pretty good. We paid $800 each to fly Atlanta direct to London then Milan direct back to Atlanta. It would have been possible to buy the same flight legs for $680 per person but we did not commit quickly enough. This was June 2005.

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 03:07 PM

You will notice that there are differences in price for different times of year, and for different North American markets.

One thought: when I really don't like what is available from my hometown, I will occasionally use FF awards to fly to NY, and then get a European flight from there.

I know that many people save their miles for European trips, but I like to use mine in the US for trips that are either expensive (no advance booking time) or will make my life easier. If I had more opportunities to fly, I guess I would use them for upgrades, and we did get to fly to Europe once in very cushy business class.

But back to your original question. On March 1 we fly Pittsburgh to Philadelphia to Rome on USAirways (I love the Airbus they fly for flights to Italy; great in-seat entertainment), returning on March 13. I payed 419 before fees and taxes, which bumped it up to something like 490.

We later had a change in plans, and I had to purchase tickets from Venice to Rome to connect for our flight home. These were 150 each, everything included. So the total for the trip is 640 pp. Not the best, not the worst.

My original fare allowed no changes. I had also tried to book Venice on USAirways before I bought the Rome tickets, and the connections were horrendous. So, for 640, I have a good itinerary, seats I like enough, on an aircraft that I like, and convenience. Worth it to me.
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 11:58 AM

I am going to Italy 5/19/06 to 5/27/06.
Can anyone point me tosome "reasonable" airfares? I have a place to stay - but need a good fare for 4 adults.

Thanks,

cesca

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -