Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is closed on Sunday and Monday in London?

Aug 21st, 2001, 05:12 PM
Suzanne

Somebody else on this board asked this question about Paris and I thought is was a very good question. Just wondering the same thing about London. Specifically, the major department stores, the boutiques, Tower of London, Westminster Abby. Any other info would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Aug 21st, 2001, 07:49 PM
JOdy

Doesn't really matter what is closed, something else will be opem. If your mind is open that's all you have to worry about. I have never not found something to do on any day of the week in London

Aug 21st, 2001, 08:05 PM
janis

As JOdy said - don't worry about it. There is so much opne you won't notice what's closed.

But basically ALL of the sightseeing venues are open. But Sunday is the busiest day for most of them so the crowds can be huge.

As for Dept Stores - some branches of most of the chains open. EXCEPT - Harrods is closed. I was shocked on a Sunday in June last year to find even Liberty open. It happened to be the very first time that venerable store had opened on a Sunday.

The only thing really closed down on Sundays is the Theatre - only 4 theatres have performances on Sunday (Matinees). Most of those 4 close on Monday instead. I usually go to a concert on Sunday because of the limited theatre offeings.

Aug 21st, 2001, 08:56 PM
BoomerBabe

Hello Suzanne,
Some of the stores and museums in London do have slightly shorter hours on Sunday, opening a little later and/or closing a bit earlier than on other days.
There are actually a few things to do on Sunday you can't even do on other days: Speakers' Corner (NE corner of Hyde Park) is world famous and can provide a unique experience, but only on Sunday. Near there, down the sidewalk all along Bayswater, a multitude of artists sell their works every Sunday.
The only place I ever tried to go on a Monday and it was closed was the Geffrye Museum (but it's open on Sunday).

Aug 22nd, 2001, 02:04 PM
Suzanne

Thank you for the information! I didn't know that Harrods would be closed on Sunday! I didn't know how "Americanized" their store hours would be. From what I have heard, most stores are closed in Italy on Sunday.

I probably will be flying into London early Sunday morning. If I want to do the Tower of London, which opens at 10am on Sunday, should I get there at 9:30?

Also Speakers corner sounds facinating! What time is it held?

Aug 22nd, 2001, 02:13 PM
janis

Suzanne: get to the Tower early - Sunday is the busiest day so the queue even just to buy tickets can be enormous. If you possibly can, you might want to consider delaying your visit to the Tower to another day. There will be 1/2 the number on a Monday for instance (unless it is a Bank Holiday Monday)

If you spend just an average length of time at the Tower and take a walk out onto Tower Bridge (highly recommended) you won't be to Hyde Park for Speakers' Corner and the art displays until after 2PM. By then they are mostly winding down.

Aug 22nd, 2001, 02:17 PM
grasshopper

What about music venues? For example a place like Pizza on the Park where you can catch live jazz. Would it be hopping on a Sun. or Monday?