Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is best way to get from BCN airport to Stiges?

Aug 21st, 2003, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

After no responses whatsoever on my previous question, we have decided to skip Madrid altogether and continue on by air to Barcelona (It will be a tiring day for sure!). Booked the Subur Hotel in Stiges for all four nights and will take day trips into Barcelona but have the evenings in this small beach town.

BCN airport is about half way between Barcelona and Stiges. Info about BCN of course only talks about travel into Barcelona city. Anyone know about public transport south to Stiges from the airport? May have to take a taxi or take the train into Barcelona Sants Station and then change there to take train south to Stiges. Or are there buses?

Also, anyone been to Stiges -- looks exactly like what we were looking for -- there's a nice virtual tour on the net. I understand that it is also a mecca for gay men, but that doesn't bother us at all.
Aug 21st, 2003, 08:30 AM
Intrepid

There is a metro-type rail connection from the BCN airport into the city where you can transfer to Sants or any jumping off point. Service to Sitges is by suburban rail and runs throughout the day...go here for further details
http://www.sitges.com/en/
Yes, you'll see a lot of Gay men in Sitges as it has more or less become a Provincetown of Spain. Enjoy your stay...am sorry you are skipping Madrid...but i think you'll enjoy Barcelona..WEAR YOUR MONEY BELT especially on the Metro!

Aug 21st, 2003, 08:55 AM
Val

Stayed at the same hotel in May this year and it was great. It is really easy to get from airport to Sitges using train just take train direct from airport to Sants station and then take train out to Sitges. If you go on RENFRE site it gives all timetables, routes prices etc. We used Sitges as a base for travelling into Barcelona for F1 Grand Prix and had no trouble at all.
Aug 21st, 2003, 09:36 AM

With bags and all that, and probably eyes that look like pizzas from the flights, I'd just bite the bullet and take a taxi from the airport to the hotel. The hotel is too far to walk with bags from the train station anyway, so you'd have to take a taxi within Sitges, so why not make it easy on yourselves and cab it from the airport? Takes around 20 min, don't remember the fare but for two it was competitive with the train.

Although it doesn't start until November this year (much later than usual) the Sitges Film Festival is a blast. Maybe there will be some pre-festival activities to be had, or at least numerous cool souvenirs. (The festival's logo is a sillouhette of King King fighting the biplanes.) If you're a film buff you might get a kick out of going to the movies in Sitges - it's a very film-oriented place.

I think you will be happy with your choice - staying by the beach and day-tripping into Barcelona is great. One note, watch out for the last train back - despite late Spanish/Catalan dining hours, the last train leaves before midnight as I recall. Now THAT would be a pricey cab ride.
Aug 21st, 2003, 09:40 AM

That would be King Kong, not Larry's brother.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so very much. Your information has been really helpful.