Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need Suggestions on Route/itinerary: Milan-Venice-Zurich

Old Dec 30th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'd like some trip suggestions on travelling from Milan to Venice and ending in Zurich. I have about 8 days for this trip. Travelling by train. Would love some suggestions on what would be best to cover in this time period (in the summer). Thank you!
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 07:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First suggestion: change the route of travel otherwise you may end up backtracking between Venice and Zurich. Otherwise, consider taking the train from Milan to Tirano and changing there for the Bernina Express into Switzerland.
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 07:52 AM

Milan and Zurich are two of my least favorite cites in that part of Europe. They are both busines cities. Given 8 days, I would fly into Venice for 4 nites then train to Luzern for the rest,flying home from Zurich. Trains run directly to the Zurich airport from Luzern.
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 08:24 AM

Travelling by train. Would love some suggestions on what would be best to cover in this time period (in the summer).>

Scour these fine IMO sites for answers to that with suggested routes - www.ricksteves.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com.

check www.trenitalia.com for schedules and some nice discounted tickets if you book way in advance and are firm on your dates as they are train-specific and may be hard to change.

And yes start or end in Venice - take the train to Milan and if you have time the fantastic Bernina Pass rail route over which local trains and the spiffy tourist-oriented Bernina Express run to St. Moritz with rail links from there via the gorgeous Albula Pass rail line, a UNESCO World Heritage rail line for its once, circa 1900 when it was built, prodigious feat of railway engineering in some rugged Alpine terrain - most notably the famous Albula Loops where the train circles in and out of the mountains as it winds it way down toward Chur, where you change to mainline trains to Zurich.

An outstandingly gorgeous way to go between Milan and Zurich - takes longer than the main Gotthard Tunnel route but so so much more beautiful (though the Gotthard route is sweet as well just not so dramatic as the Bernina Pass, to me Europe's most thrilling and scenic railway out of my decades of incessant European train travel.
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 08:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is a trip report I did that you might find useful:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-in-5-days.cfm
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 08:28 AM

Oh, and I totally must disagree with Bob the navigator.

I lived in Zürich for 4 years and many times traveled to Milan. I never did business in either city and enjoyed them very much indeed. In fact, I think they are two of the lovelier European cities - after the big ones like Paris or Florence.
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 10:47 AM

Yes to say because Milan and Zurich are business cities you should avoid them is like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. In fact the business aspect of Zurich - like the fancy Bahnhofstrasse, lined by spiffy HQs of big banks and things like watch and clock stores and other fancy boutiques is not what I would say.

Like gruezi I have enjoyed both Milan and Zurich very much - especially Zurich - one of Europe's nicest cities in many ways if one gives it a chance.
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 10:59 AM

It is relative---I am comparing to Venice and Luzern--no contest for me.
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Actually, I'm flying into Milan, then have 8 days before I have to be in Davos, Switzerland to visit family. From there, flying out of Zurich. So really, I'm looking for suggestions on 8 days by train ( or car, I guess) between Milan & Davos. Any edits to suggestions above? Think you so much.
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Oh, with Venice as definitely a main destination.
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 11:20 AM

Venice and Luzern.
Old Dec 31st, 2012, 11:37 AM

yes, read my trip report and you will get some suggestions...
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 07:19 AM

yes read gruezi's EXCELLENT trip report and from a source who IME knows what they a re talking of - a Swiss expert IME.

<So really, I'm looking for suggestions on 8 days by train ( or car, I guess) between Milan & Davos>

Well IMO trains are a good bet in this rugged area - driving you have your hands on the wheel on twisting roads and cannot relax to see the lovely landscapes.

Milan - take a train to Como and stay on Lake Como for a few days - Bellagio a perpetual favorite

Take boat to Varenna-esino train station and go via Tirano, Italy to take the Bernina Express (or local train over the same route) to St-Moritz.

spend a day or two here exploring places like the Maloja Pass area (by bus and lifts) - then take the train via the wondrous Albula route to Davos - Davos to Zurich is a few-hour train trip.