Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is as comfortable as sneakers but look a whole lot better?

Jan 7th, 2000, 06:52 AM
PATTY

Going to France in May and want to wear sneakers because they are the most comfortable for walking all day on concrete and marble but when dressed nice they ruin the entire look. Can you suggest footware just as comfortable but nice looking? Thanks

Jan 7th, 2000, 07:19 AM
looks like a

EASY SPIRIT

Jan 7th, 2000, 07:25 AM
Al

Sneakers are great. However, I have relatives in Europe that tell me that the most positive way to spot Americans is to lokk whether they are wearing sneakers, a sure sign of being American. If you want to advertise that fact, wear your sneakers, if you don't want to appear like a tourist, wear some non-descript shoes.

Jan 7th, 2000, 07:37 AM
ilisa

Must we start this debate again? Patty, wear what you find the most confortable. If you like sneakers, then wear them. If not, I have always found Hush Puppies and Aerosoles to be wonderful on the tootsies.

Jan 7th, 2000, 07:43 AM
Kate

Can I just say that Europeans do not think 'hey he wears sneakers, he must be an American.' We wear them over here too you know! I'm currently wearing some rather lovely Ellesse trainers (yes the only difference is we call them a different name)

Jan 7th, 2000, 07:45 AM
Maira

I bought a pair of black Easy Spirit Anti-Gravity model. They are casual, yet dressy and they feel like walking on pillows. Great arch support, worth every penny.

Jan 7th, 2000, 07:51 AM
Tammy

I walked all over Europe for 2 weeks in 1997 wearing my Nikes and I thought my feet would fall off after the first couple of days. In 1999 I bought a pair of Ecco's and loved them. My feet would be tired at the end of the day but not sore with blisters. I liked the Ecco's because not only were they comfortable, but they looked nice too (black leather).

The bottom line to my story is wear whatever is the most comfortable to you because you don't want to have to miss some great view from a tower because your feet hurt too bad to walk up another flight of stairs.

Jan 7th, 2000, 08:11 PM
maureen

try Clarks. Wore them for 2 weeks walking all over Italy and they were fantistic.

Jan 8th, 2000, 01:08 AM
nellie

JP Tods...dressy and comfortable

Jan 8th, 2000, 05:49 AM
Jim

If you're serious about comfortable shoes to wear in Europe, The Ecco shoes is the answer. They are not cheap, $115-$160 range. There is nothing better. Don't take my word for it, go to any high end department store and ask the shoe salesman about Ecco's. They also last for an incredible amount of time.

Jan 8th, 2000, 06:31 AM
dahlia

There were a lot of strings on this topic, just search for shoes and they will all pop up. Anyway, I wore Aerosole when I went to France last yer with the ultimate goal of buying a Memphisto when I arrive there. The price difference is about $85 (between getting it from Nordstrom and Memphisto store in France). It was was one of the best buys I made in France!!

Jan 8th, 2000, 06:57 AM
Lara

Can anyone provide an address for Ecco stores in Italy, esp. Milan, Florence? Can Mephistos be purchased in Italy as well as France at competitive prices. I find Aerosoles comfortable for a few hours, but the soles are just too soft to be comfortable for a long day of pavement/rock pounding.

Jan 8th, 2000, 08:18 AM
Mary Ann

Both Mephistos and Eccos are great. Eccos are less expensive and we did not see them in France or several other countries. My husband got a pair of Mephsitos in Beaune for $125 (they would have been $250 + tax) in the US. However, for going to concerts, fashionable evening dinners, etc.somehow they just do not make it for ladies. Ok for guys if they are dark. I ended up getting a black Liz Claiborn with a fat soft heel. Looked great with jeans as well as silk pant suits and could still walk from the Hotel to the Eifel tower for dinner without my feet hurting. I know its a second pair of shoes, but the packing splurge was worth it for me!

Jan 8th, 2000, 08:41 AM
Donna

I wore my Reebok walkers (beige) on our first trip to Paris. I won't ever do this again. They're fine when out and about at the tourist attractions, but not for sitting in cafes and going to restaurants. I bought a pair of Mephistos, and they're okay. But, then I found a pair in a similar style of Naturalizers that are just as comfortable as Reeboks. I have two other pairs of Naturalizers (dressy) that are wonderful. If you're not planning to go back to the hotel to change for dinner, get yourself a tote bag that's large enough for a pair of shoes and a sweater, so you can change your shoes for dinner, but put your walking shoes back on afterward for strolling around Paris at night. I found that after walking all over all day, my "evening" shoes, weren't as comfortable as they would be ordinarily.

Jan 8th, 2000, 08:49 AM
Cheryl Z.

For me, it's Easy Spirits, Aerosoles, and sometimes sneakers. I find the best thing is to change shoes (if possible) during the day. Wearing the same shoe for hours on end is more tiring for my tootsies. (and there's nothing wrong with a little foot massage if you're able to do it discreetly.)

Jan 8th, 2000, 10:05 AM
Lori

Patty,
This subject comes up a great deal, but if your feet hurt your vacation will not be much fun. I have worn black Easy Spirit's the last couple of trips to Europe and they must look fine because no one has ever given me any odd looks Seriously, they are medium priced, hold up well, are comfortable and look presentable. I would suggest whatever you take make it two pairs. It's really good to have more than one pair of shoes particularly if you plan on walking a great deal. I've never worn "sneakers" in Europe altho I really don't think anyone is going to think poorly of you if you do, we've seen enough Europeans wearing them to realize they are universally worn. I just think they look too casual, hence I stick to my black Easy Spirits. I have a pair of black Naturalizer loafers that are not bad if there is not going to be a lot of walking involved too.

Jan 8th, 2000, 11:00 AM
Monica

I take two pairs of shoes: My beige Easy Spirit shoes ($70) (which I wear in the evenings also - no not dressy, but not too casual either); and my sneakers. That's it! Don't worry about what you might think others will think of you. The most important thing is TO BE COMFORTABLE! After walking all day long, you'll want to be ready for the next day.

Jan 9th, 2000, 03:02 AM
Susan

Hi Patty,
Last May I brought 2 or 3 pairs of shoes to Paris and ended up wearing the Ecco black sandals almost constantly. After walking a few hours your feet will swell slightly and anything closed in is very uncomfortable. The sandals are perfect - black nubuck suede looks good with everything and the Ecco's have great support. You will look and feel much better. I dont find any support in Aerosoles. Have a great trip.

Jan 9th, 2000, 02:06 PM
Kelly

Patty,

Every time we vacation, my husband reminds me to pack my sneakers and I remind him that I think sneakers are only for working out! I don't like the way they look when you're dressed nicely, so I swear by Nine West's Cloud 9 shoes. They've got fashionable as well as more classic looking shoes and they are very reasonably priced. I've walked through London, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Italy, Germany and Austria in them and have never gotten a single blister!

Jan 9th, 2000, 03:17 PM
Joanna

How about the Italian sneaker, SuperGa? They come in lots of colours, including black, which I believe is the best colour as it goes with everything and doesn't show the dirt so much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO