Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is Afghanistan supposed to look like?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 10:05 AM
Wondering

I have seen pics of Afghanistan on the news, etc. It looks kind of like a moonscape. Completely barren, with roads cut into mountainsides, etc., no sign of vegetation. <BR> <BR>I have a serious question. Does it look this way because of bombing and years of war, or is this the way it is supposed to be naturally? I don't understand how anyone could live there if it is as barren as the pictures suggest. <BR> <BR>Does anyone know?

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 10:09 AM
Ingrid

Good question, but I think you might be more likely to get a good answer, if you repost on the Asia forum. <BR>My guess is that "it's supposed to look like this".

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 10:11 AM
Osama

Troll - get this q off the site. <BR> <BR>Afganistan is a genuinely beautiful country. One day it will again be of interest to tourists.....

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 10:13 AM
Holly

Have you ever driven through Nevada?

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 10:14 AM
Basar

Check out <BR>www.silkroadhotels.com <BR>Basar

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 10:59 AM
Desert Rat

Holly, <BR> <BR>Hardly anyone lives in those endless miles of barren desert in Nevada. Don't get a flat tire out there.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 11:49 AM
Joanne

In addition to being subjected to 20 years of war, the Afghans have been experiencing a severe drought for the past 3 years. They'd be hungry and in trouble even if 9/11 had been just another day.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 11:56 AM
Euro

There have always been dry, desert like areas in Afghanistan. But the way it is now is the result of 21 years of conyinuous war and bombings. I have seen pictures + a TV docimentary about Afghanistan in the early 1980īs (the documentary was about womenīs status in Afghanistan, how 70 % of teachers and almost 50 % of doctors were women and so on), and in those pictures students walked in big parks and sat by fountains. And then there was a vist to countryside, and that region was spezializing in oranges and lemons. Lookes like a different country.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 12:02 PM
Thyra

There is a website called <BR>Afhanistan online it has a great deal of general interest inforation. <BR>They do have snow in the mountains, and snow lepards used to habitate there... who knows if there are any left. Afghanistan, this according to my Russian friend who was stationed there for 2 years during his mandatory service in the Soviet Army. He told me that the climate is similar to Southern California.. except with out the oceanic effects (marine layer in the early am for example).

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 02:11 PM
Wilfred

I have been twice to Afghanistan this year. There is a definite beauty in the landscape. The baren land, the rocky formation which change colour as the sun edges through the sky. <BR> <BR>And then lush valleys of green, with intricate details of canals and foot paths. <BR> <BR>More beautiful than Nevada ... and with a hospitality one can only dream for. <BR> <BR>And even after Bush has finished bombing it will still be there ... because that is the destiny of the Afghan people

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 03:14 PM
Maira

Wondering-- Actually, I find the pictures and geography of Afghanistan quite fascinating (as an Environmental Engineer, your question inmediately grabbed me). Some of the pictures that we all see of barren pastures are probably more a cause of years and years of improper grazing, which I imagine to be of vital importance for the raising of sheep and the vital textile and carpet industry. As far as other natural resources, there isn't a region in the world whose natural forests have not been drastically impacted by increasing population (including the USA; fuel, construction materials). <BR> <BR>The north looks amazingly beautiful as well, though. I even think I notice a lush pine forest the other day when they were showing a faction of the Northern Alliance army.

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 07:12 AM
xxx

Wondering, why are you asking?

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Wondering

Well, I thought it was obvious. I am asking because I was wondering.

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 10:22 AM
BLAM

Dear Wondering, <BR> <BR>With any luck at all, Afghanistan will be very, very FLAT!! <BR> <BR>BLAM

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 10:23 AM
s.fowler

It is a beautiful country -- here's a site with some images http://www.afghana.com/Photographs/Photos.htm I recommend the Luke Powell photos for the landscape.