Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What is a "run of the house room" ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-is-a-run-of-the-house-room-624723/)

Tere Jun 19th, 2006 09:52 AM

What is a "run of the house room" ?

Hi all!
I was ckecking with Expedia for availability and rates in a resort and the first rate that came was for a "run of the house room", followed by a cottage seaview room rate.
What is a "run of the house" room? All rooms in that resort are cottages ,I think, so I don't understand what run of the house means.
Can someone please explain?
Many thanks in advance.

Teresa

francophile03 Jun 19th, 2006 09:54 AM

It's whichever room is available to you at check in.

carylspall Jun 19th, 2006 09:55 AM

I always wondered as well! We had that somewhere and it was room only - no breakfast.

Tere Jun 19th, 2006 10:00 AM

In this case it's not room only because it says it includes full breakfast!

Francophile, but does that guarantee the room availability? Because I have to prepay the room .Thanks

francophile03 Jun 19th, 2006 10:04 AM

Someone else may be able to confirm or correct me, but I believe that once you pay for the room you're guaranteed a room. It's just that if you choose 'ROH' then you get whatever room is available when you check into the hotel at that time.

Travelnut Jun 19th, 2006 10:09 AM

I wouldn't like this personally, as we prefer a twin room...so 'run of the house' might mean we are given a double bed and no other choice.
I don't care much for pre-paying either,unless the cancellation is very liberal.

Odin Jun 19th, 2006 10:12 AM

I don't think anything in this world will "guarantee" that a room will be available upon check-in, prepaid or not. Much like airline seats, you pay but it does not guarantee a seat

Lori Jun 19th, 2006 10:45 AM

There are no guaranteed room types in 99% of hotels. You "request" and you often get, but you may not. This goes for non-smoking rooms, king bed/twin beds/queen beds. Nothing is 100% guaranteed.

Run of the House means whatever is available at check in. Usually it is NOT going to be an upgraded room, a suite or a view room, people pay premiums for those things and a ROH room will be a lesser rate, perhaps lower floor, view of parking lot, etc. It is the "average" room in the hotel and most likely it will be in a "lowest price category.

francophile03 Jun 19th, 2006 10:50 AM

Regarding the airline seats I will find out if I have a seat for an upcoming flight when I reach the airport as I wasn't assigned one online and they say they can't assign before the date of the flight. The hotels and airlines should not be allowed to oversell.

Tere Jun 19th, 2006 10:58 AM

Hmm, I think I will go for the "cottage seaview room ", 40 USD more per day. At least I know what I am entitled to!!! I don't like not to know what I am paying for and what I am getting.
Thank you so much to all for your helpful replies:)

Teresa