Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What is a good intro to wine book for an aspiring oenophile? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-is-a-good-intro-to-wine-book-for-an-aspiring-oenophile-375482/)

mp413 Nov 11th, 2003 07:16 AM

What is a good intro to wine book for an aspiring oenophile?

While I love drinking wine I have yet to develop the skills to distinguish the more subtle characteristics that I'm told allow for a greater enjoyment and appreciation of the stuff. I'm looking for a book that has information on tasting wines, but also on understanding the labels, the grape varieties, etc. Any thoughts?

FlyFish Nov 11th, 2003 07:34 AM

It's long out of print, but IMHO the best book out there for what you want is Kevin Zraly's Windows on the World Wine Course (that title may be just a bit off). Windows was the restaurant at the top of one of the WTC Towers and had one of the best wine cellars in the world. You may be able to find copies at Amazon, Alibris, or Powells.

FlyFish Nov 11th, 2003 07:37 AM

I did a quick Alibris search after posting and learned that Zraly's book has been reprinted and is available as a "2004 Edition." Highly recommended.

easytraveler Nov 11th, 2003 07:43 AM

Try this wine-related site for free:

www.grape-varieties.com/

It explains the different types of grapes that are used and also has a section entitled "The Art of Drinking" which includes an article on how to order wine.

Cheers! ((D))

easytraveler

mp413 Nov 11th, 2003 07:56 AM

Thanks a lot, FlyFish and easytrav. I will definitely check out the site, and I already ordered the book online!

happytourist Nov 11th, 2003 08:45 AM

Try Andrea Immer's "Great Wine Made Simple." I had read several books and just ended up confused until I read this one.

Kavey Nov 11th, 2003 01:24 PM

Topping - might have to get this one for my Mr for xmas...

mp413 Nov 11th, 2003 01:56 PM

After checking out easytraveller's recommended site, I have a couple of questions.

1. When they say "a full-flavoured, intense, black-currant red produced from the Cabernet Sauvignon grape" do they mean that Cab Sauv grapes themselves have black currant flavors, or that Cab Sauv wine often is flavored with black currant (and by the same token when they say "delicious cherry and raspberry flavours of the Pinot Noir grape" is this because Pinot Noir grapes taste like cherry and raspberry or because Pinot Noir is often flavored with cherry and raspberry)??

2. Are all wines known by their grape variety? For example, I love Valpolicella, but is that a type of grape or a name of a region or something? I didn't see it on the list of grape varieties.

Wine experts, bring on the expertise!

happytourist Nov 11th, 2003 05:04 PM

The wines are not flavored with an extract of black currant, if that's what you mean. It's just that the grape and the wine-making process create certain flavors in the wine--depends on the variety, soil, climate, etc.
Wines can be known by either their variety or their region, depending on the country. France has very strict rules for naming, using village, chateau and region names. A French Burgundy will be called by the varietal name in the US, pinot noir (well, as close as you can get to a Burgundy because of different soil and climate). Both the Zraly and Immer books will explain it all very simply. I prefer Immer for a novice--try her wine tastings suggested in the book. We did it over the Christmas holidays with guests one year and had a great time.

joegri Nov 11th, 2003 05:15 PM

Karen MacNeil's "The Wine Bible" is another great book on wine. "A must for anyone who loves wine, wether they are a pro or an amateur" according to Robert Mondavi.