Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

what is a "berth" in an overnight train and do sleepers come with sheets?

Oct 13th, 2002, 12:21 PM
yuko

I am thinking of taking an overnight train while I am in europe. It willbe my first time so I am quite nervous because I do not know what to expect. I have looked at many threads to get some kind of help but I am lost. WHat is a "berth"? I want to take a first class sleeper so how is that? sorry for my bad english.

Oct 13th, 2002, 12:32 PM
clairobscur

A first class sleeper is usually a private compartment with a bed (or two beds) and a private shower. Sheets are provided.

Just in case : do not mistake it with a first class "couchette", which is a compartment with four bunks and without amenities, that you share with strangers.

Oct 13th, 2002, 12:33 PM
db

A berth is a 'bunk or sleeping place in a ship or train', so its another name for sleeper Yuko. Haven't used the train when travelling in europe so hope someone else will help you out with that

Oct 13th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Ben Haines

The site http://www.twenj.com/tipsnighttrains.htm has a note that discusses all this. A berth s a bed. You get a bed, your own washbasin, and a secure door, but the toilet is down the corridor. Most sleepers in Europe have o shower.

I am afraid I do not agree: there is nothing wrong with your English.

Welcome to Europe.

Ben Haines

Oct 13th, 2002, 12:55 PM
belinda

Information is available at www.euraide.com. My experience in a first class sleeper train is that each individual compartment has a tiny bathroom or water closet attached. The beds have sheets, pillows and blankets. Be sure to reserve your sleeper compartment well in advance of your travel. As soon as possible in fact. On one leg of our trip we had to settle for less than a first class sleeper and regretted it. I enjoyed train travel very much. Good luck.

Oct 13th, 2002, 01:35 PM
yuko

Thnak you everyone for being helpful and clearing out my questions. I am curious how is the cleanliness of the sleeper in 1st class? are the sheets given to me or will they already be in the bed when I arrive? are they changed daily? ALso, when I take an overnight train can I have breakfast served in my compartment?

Oct 13th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Ben Haines

All sleepers are spotless, and all bed-linen is changed for each passenger. As you slide in it is crisply starched. On most journeys you find the bed made up when you board, but on such long trips as the Orient Express from Paris to Vienna or the Venezia Express from Budapest to Venice you come in to find your compartment set out as seats, and when you ask the conductor converts it to a bed and lays out your bedding.

The conductor serves you a light breakfast in your compartment. Some overnight trains have restaurant cars, and on those you go along the corridor for a full breakfast, with perhaps an omlette, and better coffee. I think I make these points on http://www.twenj.com/tipsnighttrains.htm, and you might like to read that.

Ben Haines

Oct 13th, 2002, 08:28 PM
Graziella

My train experience is limited so it is a delight to read Ben Haines expertise in this matter.

We did take the train hotel last may between Madrid and Paris and indeed the berth was spotless and we had a full bathroom; dinner and breakfast were very good served in the dinning wagon.
Beds were made by the steward while we were having dinner.
We were very pleased with the service and enjoyed the fact that the steward brought our luggage in and out of the train. A luxury these days I understand.

Oct 13th, 2002, 09:53 PM
Melissa

I agree with everyone above; however, on my two overnight trains I did not get served breakfast. Fortunately, my bunkmate and I had already brought fruits and water so we shared that. Just in case. You never know!!

Oct 14th, 2002, 01:16 AM
Ben Haines

For Melissa: Thanks for telling us. Please can you say where these trains ran, so I can alter my note ? I take it you were in sleepers.

Ben Haines

Oct 14th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Liz

On the Trains from Paris-Munich and Brussels-Munich, drinks and coffee were available for a fee, no breakfast was served.

Oct 14th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Geoff Hamer

The service aboard overnight trains varies a great deal between one country and another. In my experience, the compartments and the beds are always clean. There is always an attendant (one for each carriage except in Britain and Scandinavia) who can bring drinks and sort out any problems. On some trains, coffee or breakfast in included in the fare. Trains do not have separate first and second class sleepers: generally, if you pay the first class fare, you can have a compartment to yourself, but if you pay the second class fare, you may have to share with strangers of the same sex.

Oct 14th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Melissa

Hi Mr. Haines!

On one sleeper I was going from Munich to Prague. On the other, from Paris to Frankfurt. I could be wrong about the Paris to Frankfurt train, not sure. I remember being REALLY tired getting on, so it is possible I missed any conversation of breakfast.