Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What Int'l City Should I visit next? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-intl-city-should-i-visit-next-449811/)

passportplus Nov 4th, 2008 03:29 PM

What Int'l City Should I visit next?

I am a 69 yr old lady who loves to travel alone. In the past two years I have gone on individual trips to London, Paris and Edinburgh and a riverboat trip from Budapest to Prague. I like to stay in one hotel for a week or so and see sights from the hotel at my own pace. I'm looking for another city to visit. Should I go to Athens, Greece, Beijing, Rome, Florence? Suggestions.

danon Nov 4th, 2008 03:49 PM

Rome or Barcelona

kettamic Nov 4th, 2008 03:50 PM

Istanbul.....

knickerbocker Nov 4th, 2008 03:51 PM

Florence

mari5 Nov 4th, 2008 03:54 PM

I think you would love Lisbon, Portugal. Safe,....friendly and smiling people...lots to do and see. Nice side trips, shopping, history, art,beautiful ocean AND hills. Red tiled roofs, good food. Nice weather.!

nytraveler Nov 4th, 2008 04:12 PM

When are you going? If in midsummer you won't want to do too far south.

That would have a significant effect on my choice.

risab Nov 4th, 2008 04:19 PM

Istanbul...beautiful city, lots to see, great mixture of modern and old world, wonderful history and sights,
great food,
among the nicest people of all of my travels.

Seamus Nov 4th, 2008 05:38 PM

Another vote for Istanbul. It is a wonderfully historic place, easy to get around at a leisurely pace, and as noted the people are incredibly friendly.
Beijing - certainly worth a visit but not so easy to get around, you would probably do best with hiring a uide for at least a good part of your time there.
Florence - wonderful, but if forced to choose between it and Istanbul - see paragraph one.
Rome - not my favorite place but certainly worth visiting. Not as easy to get around, often crowded.
Athens - haven't been, can't say, but it is on my list.

Grcxx3 Nov 4th, 2008 05:46 PM

Love, love love Istanbul.
Enjoyed Beijing, but I agree it is harder to get around.
Rome is nice, but I'm not sure I'd go back.

LSky Nov 4th, 2008 05:57 PM

Is there anything in particular that you like? Architecture? Museums? Art? Nature?

janisj Nov 4th, 2008 06:20 PM

You've received lots of good suggestions. But before we can really help -- What month and what sorts of things do you enjoy most?

For instance, Rome is wonderful in April/May - pretty dreadful in August.

Delaine Nov 5th, 2008 06:39 AM

Rome, especially if you can go in spring or fall. Florence would be a close second. In either city you will have amazing history, beautiful art and wonderful food.

ekscrunchy Nov 5th, 2008 07:22 AM

All good ideas. (I would eliminate Athens, though) Istanbul, Rome, Florence, Barcelona--all great cities with plenty to do and easy to get around on your own..(, too, have visited these as a single female traveler)

But if you have the time, depending on the time of year, I will put in a vote for Beijing. I spent a week there and had a terrific time...it is VERY easy to get around on your own there..

Are you coming from the US? If so, I am not sure that I would take a one-week trip to Asia.

If you do decide to consider Asia, here is my report from last year which includes about 2 weeks in China on my own.

(Skip past the Seoul part of the report..)

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34984181

travel2live2 Nov 5th, 2008 08:58 AM

How about Dubrovnik? It is gorgeous, small, easily navigable on food, and lots of daytrips possible from there.

travel2live2 Nov 5th, 2008 10:31 AM

Oops - I meant "on foot", of course! ;)

passportplus Nov 5th, 2008 01:15 PM

A little more information about me and my trip. I could travel about anytime, but would choose April or May I think. Or September, October. I live in the U.S. For some reason, Istanbul sounds "dangerous". Why am I getting that feeling?

jeff001 Nov 5th, 2008 02:23 PM

Vienna. All kinds of things to see and do and there is excellent public transportation.

tomboy Nov 5th, 2008 02:41 PM

Marianske Lazne

Bird Nov 5th, 2008 03:23 PM

Munich.

elcon Nov 5th, 2008 04:32 PM

I think everyone's suggestions are good and timing is indeed important. I think that if you have never been to Rome, then you must make it a priority. I am a woman who also travels alone and I like to see things at my own pace too. I loved Rome! The food is great, the history and art can't be beat and I felt very safe. Good luck and let us know what you decide.