Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What I'll miss in France this year (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-ill-miss-in-france-this-year-639723/)

cigalechanta Aug 16th, 2006 04:01 PM

What I'll miss in France this year

Due to illness we cancelled our August 21st trip and I was thinking today what I will miss besides friends there.
My Pastis 21, Frigolet,
Suze, my Normandy friend's Tomate Vert confiture,
My Poitier friend's Wild Boar dinners and wild boar paté,
My toro steak but to give me some feeling of being there, I bought at our local farmers'market, some zuccini blossoms that I stuffed with chevre and baked with chopped rosemary that I grow on my window sill.
I bought a bottle of my favorite Provençal rosé, Domaine Templier. All this brought a smile to my sick husband's face as we dined here outdoors.

starrsville Aug 16th, 2006 04:12 PM

Oh, mimi, how sweet! It will be so hard not to be there, but what amazing memories you have stored up to relive time and time again. Hugs to you and hubby.

gomiki Aug 16th, 2006 04:34 PM

Mimi, your dinner sounds wonderful. And what a lovely night it is to enjoy. All my best to you and J. Always thinking of you.

cigalechanta Aug 16th, 2006 04:43 PM

Thanks kind ladies and those of you who can't travel this year, what will you miss?

elba Aug 16th, 2006 04:58 PM

You are just missing things Mimi. You'll be able to have those things at another time.

You have something much more precious with you right now. I hope you'll soon see brighter days.

dorkforcemom Aug 16th, 2006 05:23 PM

I'm so sorry your trip has been cancelled - and for an unhappy reason, as well. Best wishes...

gomiki Aug 16th, 2006 05:28 PM

elba, that's pretty profound. Thanks.

mvor Aug 16th, 2006 05:46 PM

I'm sure all of your animal friends will miss you this year! Have fun recreating France for you and your husband; I bet it's good therapy for both of you!

indytravel Aug 16th, 2006 06:06 PM

Hi Mimi! ((F))

I love the list of things you'll miss. It's so very French. :-)

It makes me look forward to the day that you'll be returning. I hope it's sooner then you think.

Bis, bis,

David

cigalechanta Aug 16th, 2006 06:30 PM

No, not profound. I know that I'm trying to distract myself by coming here because I have so much to do here.
When he naps and is asleep, I can be here to see friends and maybe make a post or two but mostly answer emails.

To OWJ: I read that thread about your awful disappointment. I'm hoping things turn around for you. You deserve it.

Ronda Aug 16th, 2006 06:55 PM

So sorry to hear you husband isn't feeling well. Hope he gets well very soon.

Don't forget to put on some of your favorite French perfume.

Do you have a l'Occitane hear you? I love their lavender cologne - I use it around the house besides on me.

I made a screen saver of a photo of a lavender field from our recent trip so every time I turn on the computer I am immediately transported to Provence.

Maribel Aug 16th, 2006 07:09 PM

Hi cigalechanta,
It's so very nice to see you back posting here. I so hope that things are looking up for your husband and that you will have many more wonderful trips to France together, next year and in the coming years. I have lit many candles in the Pays Basque churches for you both, as I've been thinking very much about you in this difficult time.
Regards,
Maribel

Grapestoo Aug 16th, 2006 07:12 PM

Mimi, have been thinking of you. All the best to you and Jerry. How nice to see you posting.

lyb Aug 16th, 2006 07:30 PM

Sorry to hear about your cancelling your trip. Of course, you can always start planning the next trip as a distraction. :)

Hope everything gets better soon.

tuscanlifeedit Aug 16th, 2006 07:42 PM

We don't know one another, but I've been following your trials, and I just want to say that I wish you all the best, and may your husband be well, very very soon.
Debbie

klondike Aug 16th, 2006 08:23 PM

It was our turn last year to have our trip undone by health issues, and all I can say is it definitely makes you appreciate past experiences even more!

Inspired by YOUR récits of Provence here on Fodors, we will be experiencing this area of France for the first time together in just one week for the first time. So we will toast you and your husband with a sincere "à votre santé" at some of your favorite places, knowing what a difference a year can make. So hang in and think positive thoughts with the help of these special memories and your friends here on Fodors. And next year you'll be back in your beloved Provence.

But for now, think of those fresh little melons (de Cavaillon?) filled with port or surrounded by jambon, unending fields of sunflowers and lavender, church bells, sundials and that incredible rosé in the beautifully shaped bottle that only tastes as exceptionnel when imbibed "sur place".... Must be the local air oxygenating it or something.

Warmest Regards

LoveItaly Aug 16th, 2006 11:05 PM

Oh Mimi, you know how you and your dear Jerry are in my thoughts and prayers dear one. You are an insperation as you always keep such a positive attitude and make your life so beautiful for the two of you. My very good thoughts that this time next year you will both be in your beloved France.

Nikki Aug 17th, 2006 12:58 AM

While you can not be in France this summer, you are in the bit of France that you have recreated in your home. Those stuffed zucchini blossoms sound wonderful.

ira Aug 17th, 2006 02:20 AM

Good to have you back online, mimi.

((I))

jody Aug 17th, 2006 02:37 AM

So good to hear ffrom you, Mimi.
I hope your "little bit of France" at home cheered J up a bit.