what if they cancel the ferry

Old Aug 7th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what if they cancel the ferry

I am planning to take the high speed ferry from Crete to Santorini on October 10. This date appears on the schedule and I can book it online. However, I get the impression that I can get there and find that the ferry has been canceled that time of year. I have to make hotel reservations now. What would I do about getting from Crete to Santorini if that happens? The cheapest fare now on Aegean Air is about 300 euros (for the 2 of us - out of our budget) and I'm sure it would be much more even if available at the last minute. I would also lose my pre-paid hotel payments if the ferry gets canceled. I am in a quandry. Can anyone offer advice?
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 12:36 PM

Why do you need to make hotel reservations? October is the end of the tourist season and there will be no problem finding accommodation when you get to Crete.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Actually some of the small hotels I was interested in are already booked on Crete. I'm sure I will run into the same thing on Santorini. In recent years I have not had great luck with accomodations when I haven't reserved ahead.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 02:45 PM
ira

Hi E,

If one is on a boat, one should never, ever make plans that require the boat to get there on time.

The ferry won't operate if the seas are too rough. You will have to stay on Crete.

> I would also lose my pre-paid hotel payments if the ferry gets canceled.<

Why? All that will happen is that you will have to pay 2 hotels for one night (or two).

Old Aug 7th, 2008, 03:04 PM

I remember they cancelled(due to weather) the ferry(pre chunnel times) from Dover to Calais and we had flight from Amsterdam to catch. We had a World Trans charter flight, and if we missed it it would be a $3000 setback(in 1978 dollars )Well, we waited around and they actually launched a hovercraft that we caught and even made our flight. Everyone on the ship/craft got sick, but we made it despite the gale. We have had a few train disasters that didnt work out so well, but its out of your control sometimes.
Those are the best memories, so remember traveling is an adventure and dont worry about the lil things. However, I do feel you are wise to look into alternatives now.
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 05:10 PM

Agree - you won;t lose you hotel deposit - all you do is call and tell them you're delayed - and to keep the reservation. Then get an inexpensive hotel nearby for the night.

An inconvenience - but not a disaster.
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately there is only one ferry a day. I have to pay the hotel on Santorini in advance and if I cancel, I will lose the entire price of each day I have booked that I don't use.

My real concern is that the ferry will be canceled in October for reasons other than weather. My impression is that it is likely they will eliminate the October dates from Crete to Santorini. We plan to travel on October 10. Does anyone have any information or expeerience with the ferry in October?