What I Bought on My Trip to Russia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have put up a post on the independenttraveler.com about shopping in Russia that some of you may find interesting.

Here's the link:

http://boards.independenttraveler.com/newthread.php
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 03:21 PM

Why didn't you post it here?
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

I only post trip reports on sites that rigorously remove insulting posts. Independenttraveler.com does that. It has been my experience that fodors does not.

Additionally, I like the format better on the independenttraveler.com than fodors and the word limit is longer. I have no financial connection with the independenttraveler.com

Incidentally, I am sorry the post was put up twice. I got an error message the first time. Obviously, the only error was in the error message.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 06:39 PM

I really enjoyed reading your trip report!
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, as always, Scarlett, for your positive comments.

All those things you read about in the history books and there you are and you are looking at them! When I look at the art I bought, I smile and remember.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 05:18 AM

FSM, how do we find your post on that site. Which forum and under what title? Thanks.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 06:01 AM

I think something was left out of the url, here it is : A great read and I am still impressed that you didn't drop from exhaustion!

http://boards.independenttraveler.co...play.php?f=140
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank for posting the link correctly. I could blame my computer, but I appear to have left off the end of the link.

Some of the people on the trip did not do everything I did. That is a problem with a group trip. There are always people on the tour that should not be. Two people flew home early due to illness and 2 others ended up in the hospital for reasons unrelated to the tour. Our tour group leader took care of those people and the rest of us went on our merry way packing it all in.

The bottom line is that the tour is not for people who cannot do a very active program. Elderhostel did tell everyone that up front, but some people overestimate what they can do.

And it was never required that you go to every performance. Of course, I did not want to miss anything!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 06:29 PM

So far I've only read the post about what you bought. It was full of excellent, helpful information. All the tips about bartering, where to do it, etc. will be very useful to other folks. Good job!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

I am one person who firmly believes that helping others is what we should be doing here. You can find 4 posts about my elderhostel experience on the independenttraveler.com. Just go to the Eastern Europe board and you will see them.

Now, if I had known about Russian watches before I went. . . . I am not losing any sleep over that watch. It is a nice bracelet anyway and I will wear it as such.

Russia was my first trip to Eastern Europe. Now I want to see the rest of it!
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 08:19 PM

Our Viking river cruise took us to Uglich, where the Chaika watches are actually manufactured, and they are authentic. Elsewhere, they are far pricier, not authentic, rather imitations made with ,what we were told were, "stolen" parts.

The one I purchased is positively gorgeous and still keeps good time after 13 months...For $12 American. Actually, I sent it to my sister-in-law, who just loves it, and with I had bought many more while there for other friends and relatives, and myself.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 06:39 AM

Great reports (all 5). Thanks for doing such a thorough job. DW and I are huge classical music (especially choral) and art fans. Saint Petersburg & Moscow (5 days each) are on our "to do list" so I'll be printing and saving. We have never travelled with a tour or guide (not our style) but cannot speak or read any Russian. Do you (or others) think guide or tour are essential in our case?
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

In response to the question about whether a guided tour is essential if you do not speak any Russian or can at least read Cyrillic lettering, I would think that some sort of guide may be appropriate--whether an entire tour or a private guide.

Moscow is very difficult to get around if you do not read Cyrillic. Whether it is "essential" to have guide really depends on how adventurous you are. There is no doubt, however, that a guide can save you precious time on your trip. However, going as free spirits is not impossible, but everything is going to take more time to figure out and you can waste time making mistakes. That does not bother me providing the mistakes do not waste too much time (and, for me, the "mistakes" often make great stories--afterwards).

In the final analysis, your trip is yours and it is up to you to decide. There are plusses and minuses either way.