Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What hotel in what European city has the very best breakfasts?

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Seems I always get the hotel that serves stale bread and runs out of orange juice. People on this board often rave about the breakfast they had. Where? The best breakfast I ever had was at the Uhland Hotel in Munich. What was yours?
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 11:16 PM

Sofitel--Versailles and Forum Rive Gauche. What a spread: all the usual suspects, plus granola, fresh fruit, yogurts, eggs, sausage, bacon, pickled herring, cheeses, ham, pate (I swear there was roast beef too), lots of different breads and sweet rolls, dried fruit, probably pickles (It's been a few years) and even wine (I did skip that part).
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 11:50 PM

I'm a sucker for a food related thread. My two tops are 1). Le Meridien Piccadilly. Smoked Scottish salmon omellette and great bread and butter. 2). Ritz Hotel Paris - room service. Nothing out of the ordinary i.e. eggs, juice,coffee, pastries, jam, butter, butter... it was the quality that was so outstanding. Good thing I was eating in bed because I could barely move after so much food. Loved that room at the Ritz, I hardly ever left it.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 11:50 PM

Was fortunate enough to stay at the Hotel Meurice lasy year. Their buffet was to die for!!! We stuffed ourselves each morning with the stunning display of food in the most gorgeous room I have ever dined in.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 11:54 PM

I am afraid I do not know. But the Savoy in London charges 25 pounds for breakfast, so it may be good.

[email protected]
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 01:28 AM

My favorite is the ANA Grand (now just the Grand) in Vienna. Not only does it offer the full European breakfast (breads, pastries, fruits, meat, eggs, granola, yogurt, cheese, etc. etc.), it also offers a complete Japanese breakfast/brunch array--rice, miso soup, grilled salmon, green tea. Most days I had the Japanese selection--it was delicious and I felt energized for hours.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 01:53 AM

I'm with Calamari! The Ritz breakfast has wonderful danish pastries and the croissants are to die for! And that rolling table wonderfully put, with a beautiful small porcelain vase with a rose and their service! It makes anyone start the day feeling great!

I have to disagree with the Savoy breakfast, It was no good, nothing about the Savoy was good in fact, I posted it before here. My choice in London is the Dorchester and its breakfast is also good but the Ritz scores up!
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 02:03 AM

Not a hotel, but a B&B: My favorite breakfast was at the Greenmount House in Dingle, Ireland. Felt very homecooked and was a savory way to start the day!
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 04:38 AM

We stayed at the Noga Hilton in Cannes last month, and they had a very impressive buffet. We opted for the more continental style as opposed to the full breakfast and it was very good (we're not big breakfast eaters).
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 04:41 AM

I'd almost trade in all my frequent flier miles to have breakfast again at the Adare Manor annex in Adare, Ireland. Unbelievable spread, and incredible teas, the best way ever to overcome jetlag!
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 04:59 AM
ira

Hi teach,

We liked the breakfast at the Uhland, too.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 06:08 AM

The Porto Rocco in Monterosso- a wonderful buffet served outside high on the cliff overlooking the Ligurian Sea..

And the Bristol in Salzburg- omelets made to order and lots of other yummies.

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 06:19 AM

The Burford House in Burford England. A pot of tea or french press coffee, hot toast and wonderful thick local marmalade, muesli and corn flakes or oatmeal, homemade prune compote, apricot compote, lovely little local melons, or other fruit. Then the main course -- full English, with delicious local sausages and sweet cured back bacon, perfectly cooked eggs, and a lovely grilled tomato, or finnan haddie if you prefer. All served in a beautiful little morning room by incredibly friendly people.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 07:03 AM

Just returned from a long weekend on the Costa del Sol at the Hotel Don Carlos. The food was of excellent quality with the usual array. The really outstanding feature though was the view which was fabulous! I could have sat there all day looking out over the Med and their luscious gardens.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 08:09 AM

Most Paradors in Spain.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 08:22 AM

You know those fabulous, but expensive Sunday brunch buffets you often find in luxury resort hotels -- the ones with a waffle station, an omelette station, piles of fresh smoked salmon, platters of fruits, etc???? Every day, that's just what breakfast was like at the Stuttgart Intercontinental. And what's more, it was included in the room price (we paid about $110 euro for a deluxe double per night!).
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 08:24 AM

Isn't that interesting that Dingle, Ireland would be way up there.

One of my favorites was at Heaton's B&B in Dingle (right down the street from Greenmount).
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 09:33 AM

I usually stay in modest hotels in Europe, but at a meeting in Liege I was put up at the Holiday Inn next to the Palais du Congres. It was a surprisingly fancy place and the breakfast buffet was amazing. There were three tables: Belgian (meats, pates and cheese), continental, and English, plus an omelet station. It was awe inspiring. The runner-up, during another meeting, was the Hotel Gamla Stan in Stockholm. And for a more modest but very nice English breakfast, the Harlingford Hotel in Bloomsbury (the baked beans are optional).
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 03:06 PM

I am not a breakfast eater unless on holiday and so it really has to be good to register with me.The two essentials are excellent coffee and different home made breads. The icing on the cake is superb smoked salmon. So my favourites
1.Hotel Olymbia, Tallinn.
2.Hotel Benz, Gengenbach, Germany- they even had little chocolates to finish off with.
3.Pod Roza in Krakow, Poland.
4. The Youth Hostel in Gudhjem, Bornholm, Denmark,( but an incredibly crabby woman serving)
5.Silja Line ferry crossing Stockholm to Turku(Finland) does this count?
6. Scandia Hotel, Oslo.
7. Holiday Inn Amsterdam-even had Indonesian specialities.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 04:02 PM

Ibis Goteborg City Centre and the Mermaid Hotel had wonderful Scandinavian buffets. None of the food was elaborate, but it was all good quality and fresh and abundant.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO