Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What hotel in Barcelona, Spain for 2 nights?

Old May 9th, 2000, 07:58 AM
Sue

My parents will be in Barcelona in early Sept.2000 and would like to stay in a clean mid-range to upper-mid range hotel. They would like to be near the main sites but still in a safe neighborhood. Anyone that could help me ASAP I would really appreciate. They are trying to book this NOW! If anyone knows of any special authentic restaurants or any other tidbits they would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Old May 9th, 2000, 11:24 AM
Maribel

Sue,
My mid-range-to-budget hotel of choice (about $80 now with the strong dollar) is the 2-star Meson Castilla, in the Raval quarter behind the upper stretch of the Ramblas (quiet) and near Plaza Catalunya and two metro stops. I've had to travel alone to Barcelona several times lately and have felt very safe there. It's family owned with a caring staff who maintain it well, and your parents would be within easy walking distance both of the Gothic Quarter and the elegant Eixample district with its chic shops and marvelous Modernist architecture. Its decor is not your typical "ultra-hip/cutting edge/post-modern" Barcelona design; it has an old-fashioned, Old World atmosphere (ornate, pretty handcarved and painted Castilian furniture, medieval looking lamps-fairly large bedrooms with some family rooms), sitting areas on each floor, brk rm with terrace (and buffet brk. included) kind of comfortable like an old shoe. It belongs to the Husa chain but doesn't have a chain hotel feel at all. (www.husa.es) It also appears in Sandra Gustafson's new "Cheap Sleeps in Spain"-her fav. rms are #126 and #464 with sitting rm. She praises the "gracious owner".

Another classic, stately Old World hotel in the upper-mid range ($150 double) is the Colon, across from the Cathedral in the Gothic Quarter. While I prefer the area closer to the Passeig de Gracia (primarily for the great shopping, but I also find it quieter), the Colon does seem to please most first-time visitors (and many repeaters) a great deal. Good reviews on this Forum. Some rms have balconies, and you can sit on your terrace and watch the locals dance the sardana in front of the Cathedral on Sat. eve., Sun. mornings.
Both are Karen Brown guidebook selections. I've found her suggestions very reliable (with only a few minor exceptions...) as well as charming and distinctive.
View them at www.karenbrown.com

Other upper-mid range, very comfortable choices (more "hip") would be the Balmes
(or Derby-www.derbyhotels.es) and the NH Calderon (www.nh-hoteles.es) in the Eixample district itself, still within walking distance of the Barri Gotic and Ramblas. But as you know, available hotel rms seem to be a very scarce commodity in Barcelona this yr. Hope you have good luck!

As for restaurants, "Set Portes" (pretty decor-paellas), "Senyor Parellada", "Agut d'Avignon" (two for authentic creative Catalan),
"Los Caracoles" (yes, jam-packed with tourists but good spit-roast chicken),
"La Fonda" (very inexp. but long lines),"O'Nabo da Lugo" (Galician) are some favorites. "El Mussol" and "Talaia Mar" (great reviews lately all over the press-mod to exp) are on my list to try.
For cava and tapas (and great homemade potato chips) after a visit to the Picasso Museum in the Barri Gotic, we go straight to "El Xampanayet" on lovely Montcada street or the always crowded "Cal Pep" at Placa de les Olles (hard to find).
La Boqueria market (Mercat de Sant Josep) on the Ramblas is a feast for the senses.

Hope this helps get you started.
Maribel

Old May 9th, 2000, 10:35 PM
Anna

The Rivoli Ramblas is, as the name suggests located on the Ramblas - excellent location. It is excellent value (from memory about $100 per night). You can also use the pool of its sister hotel (whose name escapes me) across the road.

I would second the restaurant recommendation above for 'Set Portes' - their Paella is excellent.

Old May 11th, 2000, 11:06 AM
Sue

Thank you to Maribel and Anna for the quick response. My parents are working on it now.

Old May 12th, 2000, 09:03 AM
Sue

Just bringing this up to the top again...it's amazing how fast it gets buried.

Old May 12th, 2000, 01:15 PM
A

We stayed in the Gran Via in April. Very nice for the price -- around $75. Good location too. Near the metro and just a short walk to Las Ramblas. Street is loud outside, but not nearly as loud as the areas closer to Las Ramblas. I felt very safe in this area.

Old May 18th, 2000, 05:24 PM
Sue

Thank you for the responses!

Old May 22nd, 2000, 01:00 AM
wein

go to the intercontinental hotel website. they are having summer promotions and you can get a rm at the 5 star intercon barcelona for 20000pst!