Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What happens to non-refundable train tickets if there is a transportation strike in France?

What happens to non-refundable train tickets if there is a transportation strike in France?

Apr 9th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Regarding the recent protests and union strikes in France, I've been watching the news and reading the related messages on this board since my husband and I will be travelling to France on April 22.

I'm not worried about safety issues in Paris, but I am worried about train travel while we are there because we have reserved tickets that are non-refundable. We are taking the TGV to Dijon on April 25th, where we will pick up a car to travel for the next 9 days. We are planning to drop the car off in Strasburg on May 4th, and take the train back to Paris.

So, if there is a transportation strike and the trains aren't running, what happens to the reserved tickets? Do I simply go to a train station and have them re-issued for another day? Do they have to honor the original ticket price (PREM fare)?

I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation while travelling in France.

Thanks
Diane
Apr 9th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Apr 9th, 2006, 04:57 PM

It says on the website that on strike days your ticket is valid on ANY train for your destination rather than just the one you reserved but they do not guarantee a seat. You also have the choice of a refund. Usually TGV's still run on strike days though some may be canceled.
Apr 9th, 2006, 05:17 PM

Faced with a rail strike, I went to the ticket window to get a refund at the Gare de Lyon several years ago. The agent pretended he did not understand what I wanted. I stood my ground, speaking in a low voice, repeating my demand for my money. Each time I spoke, he hunched his shoulders, lifted his palms, thrust forward his lower lip, and tilted his head. Nothing. I repeated my request, only a little more loudly. Again, nothing. Again, I spoke, only louder. Finally, I shouted at the top of my lungs. Again and again. He finally "understood," and I got my money back. It worked for me, and it can work for you. You just have to be as rude as they are!
Apr 9th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Morgan and USNR, for your replies. I prefer to get on a train, any train, to my destination on the days planned rather than just get a refund since we've got hotels reserved for the nights we expect to be in the different locations.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that these protests and strikes will be resolved in the next few weeks, but I guess I'll need to be ready for any possibility!

Diane

Diane
Apr 10th, 2006, 07:10 AM

There is never a time in France where you can be sure that 'strikes' are resolved -they can happen at any time.