Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What happens in Bologna on Feast Day of San Petronio?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NOTE: I just posted this a few minutes ago but forgot to tag it for the Italy forum--I'm doing so now!

Hi,

I just read that October 4 is the Feast of San Petronio, the patron saint of Bologna. So far the only information I can find about what that means, as a practical matter, is that it is sort of a "bank holiday" so banks and shops (some? all?) will be closed (it is a Thursday). We will be in Bologna that day, so I'm curious to find out. I assume there will be some sort of religious ceremony at the Basilica of San Petronio, but would like to know what if anything else will happen.

Are there any other special festive events, such as a street or food festival to mark the Feast Day? I've found nothing about it on the Bologna Welcome website. I googled it and found that there was a "Sfoglio D'oro" competition (a pasta-making competition) last year that was held around that time, but it was not on the actual feast day--it was 2 days before. From what I've found, it looks like the Sfoglio D'oro for 2012 is part of a Bologna wine and food event Oct 4-7 which could be fun--but I can't find any further info beyond the dates.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 12:47 PM

Hi RMMR2,

I was in Bologna at that time last year. There were some religious parades in town, and as you mentioned, schools and offices were closed, so there were lots of people about town on a beautiful warm day. I don't recall anything particularly memorable in the way of festivals. I believe most shops were open.

If you have already secured lodging for your stay, you may want to check with your hotel. If you have not, you can't do better than Antica Residenza D'Azeglio.

http://www.anticaresidenzadazeglio.it/en/residenza.html

If you're interested, I recommend you check on availability right away, as there are only 5 or 6 rooms in this spectacular B & B. I'd send an e-mail to Agostino, the proprietor, who is just a wonderful, down-to-earth guy. He and his nephew Roberto run the place, and they are both great. I'd bet that they help you with suggestions even if you do not stay there.

Good luck.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks phillyboy--that is what I wanted to know.

We have already rented an apartment for our stay, since we will be in Bologna for a week, but thank you very much for the B&B recommendation--will keep it in mind for "next time"!

I will ask the apartment manager about San Petronio events--they seem very helpful.