Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What happens if you miss a train for which you purchased at ticket?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2023, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ciao. Last time I went to Italy, I had a 6:00 am arrival time in Milan. I did not buy a train ticket to Firenze in case my plane was delayed and ended up waiting 3 hours for an available seat on a train. If I buy an economy fare (Italo's "perfect balance between flexibility and a good price"), I can pay €30 Euro to change the ticket, but I think this is up to 2 hours prior to departure. My flight is scheduled to arrive at Rome at 08:40, and I have to get to Termini. If I purchase a ticket on the 13:05 train, I should be able to get there. On Italo's website, there is a promotion as part of the economy fare called "Extra Tempo" which apparently gives you 2 hours to find a seat on the next available train. Any advice? I'm on Singapore Air, so it should be pretty reliable. Thank you!
[img]blob:https://www.fodors.com/e7dc975c-8c11-417e-849f-39b9e030bf34[/img]
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 04:45 AM

I'm not sure what exactly you're asking.

If you're asking about missing a train then it depends on your ticket. The cheaper tickets will be worthless.

If you're asking about the offer to catch a later train IMHO the better option is the move up offer.

https://www.italotreno.it/en/the-train/fares

Service
Leave Now

Anticipate your travel time with the new Parti Ora service.

Thanks to the Leave Now service, at a cost of only € 10, on the day of departure you can choose to anticipate your trip up to 2 hours before the booked time. The service is active on some trains and only on the day of departure: select Leave Now from the menu and check if it is available for your trip.*
*Service subject to availability. The cost is per passenger.

Basically the suggestion is to buy a ticket late enough that even if your plane is late you'll make. If your plane is on time you pay the €10 and take an earlier train.

Service
Extra Tempo

If you have missed your train, find a seat on the first available train.

If you miss your train, you have 2 hours of “Extra Tempo” to find a seat on the next train asking to the in station Italo Staff or calling Italo Assistenza at +39 06 89371892 (subject to availability)*.
*In addition to the 20%, a charge equivalent to any difference between the current offer price in the ambience chosen and the original ticket price paid will be applied.

That's the offer you asked about. It would be 20% I assume of your original ticket PLUS the difference what you paid and the walk up. The walk up is €50. If you factor in that route can often be bought on sale for little more than €10 you'd be better off buying a ticket for every hour and only using one.
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 10:46 AM

Hi Redlandsneen…….My husband and I missed our train in Italy…we had a Europass, and the departure platform number had changed. We inquired frantically at the station, and the rather bored attendant said ‘so just get on the next one’ . Which we did and found seats no problem. However, we had to keep changing seats for the duration of that train ride, as they had been reserved by other people. That was not a problem, we were just relieved to get on the next train.

One suggestion to anyone travelling by train is to make a plan for if you get separated from your travelling partner. We did see this happen in Milan, where a lady came running after the train screaming and crying as it pulled away from the station….certainly hope her children were not on there without her.
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 07:53 PM

You can do that if you miss a connection with TrenItalia but that's not what the OP is asking. Doing that with Italo you risk getting fined. Or at least paying the full walk up fare .
Old Feb 28th, 2023, 11:40 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick
I'm not sure what exactly you're asking.

If you're asking about missing a train then it depends on your ticket. The cheaper tickets will be worthless.

If you're asking about the offer to catch a later train IMHO the better option is the move up offer.

https://www.italotreno.it/en/the-train/fares

Service
Leave Now

Anticipate your travel time with the new Parti Ora service.

Thanks to the Leave Now service, at a cost of only € 10, on the day of departure you can choose to anticipate your trip up to 2 hours before the booked time. The service is active on some trains and only on the day of departure: select Leave Now from the menu and check if it is available for your trip.*
*Service subject to availability. The cost is per passenger.
Basically the suggestion is to buy a ticket late enough that even if your plane is late you'll make. If your plane is on time you pay the €10 and take an earlier train.
Service

Extra Tempo

If you have missed your train, find a seat on the first available train.
If you miss your train, you have 2 hours of “Extra Tempo” to find a seat on the next train asking to the in station Italo Staff or calling Italo Assistenza at +39 06 89371892 (subject to availability)*.
*In addition to the 20%, a charge equivalent to any difference between the current offer price in the ambience chosen and the original ticket price paid will be applied.
That's the offer you asked about. It would be 20% I assume of your original ticket PLUS the difference what you paid and the walk up. The walk up is €50. If you factor in that route can often be bought on sale for little more than €10 you'd be better off buying a ticket for every hour and only using one.
Thanks, Traveler Nick. Through Trenit, I found this:
[img]blob:https://www.fodors.com/66891bbf-8ed5-48ce-b07f-27fcf384a54f[/img]
I believe Frecciargento is Trenitalia. So do you think if I book the 3pm train, and arrive on time (08:40), and arrive at Termini early enough to make the 1pm train, the change would be free? The problem is still not being sure if I can get on it. Mind you, this is following my 24 hour journey from Australia, so I was hoping to be on a train within 2-3 hours after landing. Thanks again.
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 12:25 AM

It's not showing up.

In general don't book with third parties. Book direct with the train company. Changes are only free usually if you buy the most expensive rides. But it can be cheaper to buy multiple cheaper tickets on that route.

I'd do that instead of buying the most expensive just to get a free change.

You arrive at 9. Let's say you're in the train station at the airport by 10. 11 you reach Termini. Buy the 11.30,12.30 and 13.30 rides on Italo when they go on sale . It'll likely cost you less than just the full price with TrenItalia.
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 01:40 AM

What makes you think that the Rome-Milan trains are as crowded as the Milan-Rome trains departing in the early morning? Unless you arrived at the track at 8 AM, I doubt you actually had to wait 3 hours to find a seat on an high speed train going south. Most probably you had no idea there are 2 competing companies running high speed trains.

If you were actually forced to wait 3 hours, the reason is that all high speed trains call at Rome after Florence and the Milan-Rome morning trains are always full of businessmen who want to be in Rome before noon. It's not the same when going in the opposite direction, from Rome to Milan (via Florence) at different times.
You don't have to trust me, I have just checked on the official sites. All trains departing today to Florence in the next 4 hours have seats available.
There are many seats on the Trenitalia high speed train that's departing in 16 minutes, and I mean seats in the cheapest Standard class, not only in 1st. Same for Italotreno's 11:55 train to Florence, there are seats for sale in all classes.

Last edited by Falcio; Mar 1st, 2023 at 01:42 AM.
Old Mar 1st, 2023, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

Rome to Bari

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick
It's not showing up.

In general don't book with third parties. Book direct with the train company. Changes are only free usually if you buy the most expensive rides. But it can be cheaper to buy multiple cheaper tickets on that route.

I'd do that instead of buying the most expensive just to get a free change.

You arrive at 9. Let's say you're in the train station at the airport by 10. 11 you reach Termini. Buy the 11.30,12.30 and 13.30 rides on Italo when they go on sale . It'll likely cost you less than just the full price with TrenItalia.
Hi Nick. I resolved the issue by staying overnight in Rome on arrival. Originally I had planned to fly to Bari, but the ITA schedule did not suit, so I decided to take the train. Walking to and from a hotel in Rome to Termini is a lot different than the trip into the city from Fiumicino and going back to the airport the next day, so Voila! Problem solved. I don't know what Falcio's problem is; he's very aggressive. I don't know how long ItaloTreno has been around, but admittedly, in 2017 I was only familiar with Trenitalia. Perhaps I waited unnecessarily to get to Florence from Milan. Thanks for taking the time to assist.