Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What Happened to the Sloppy Thread (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-happened-to-the-sloppy-thread-497829/)

StCirq Jan 23rd, 2005 05:41 PM

What Happened to the Sloppy Thread

What the heck happened to the thread about whether Europeans or Americans are sloppier? Did it get axed (why?) or can I just not find it?

indytravel Jan 23rd, 2005 05:53 PM

I guess the Fodors Fashion-istas are out in full force.

It was started by Giselle and it's gone. Did it get that ugly that fast?

I turned my head for a second to bid on Priceline and it's over. The story of my life. :-)

kybourbon Jan 23rd, 2005 05:56 PM

Was that a Boston GTG bid?

indytravel Jan 23rd, 2005 06:01 PM

Nah Lara, I've had the hotel@mit locked down on Priceline since the middle of December. $65 a night isn't too shabby for Boston though it is winter. :-)

indytravel Jan 23rd, 2005 06:02 PM

BTW we better mention travel or this will get axed too.

Hmmm Boston GTG. No that won't work. That's US not Europe.

Ummm I was bidding for rooms in Europe when the neighbor's ostrich reared it's ugly head and made me think of Australia. :-D

OK this thread is really doomed now...

kybourbon Jan 23rd, 2005 06:24 PM

Wow David! How great to get the GTG hotel although not as funky fun as the Marlowe.

dln Jan 23rd, 2005 06:31 PM

David, what's this about bidding on hotel rooms in Europe? Where to now? And when? France again or ????

indytravel Jan 23rd, 2005 06:32 PM

It seems like cosmic fate Lara until you find out Bob planned it that way.

I got the hotel bid. Bob checked it out and liked it so we ended up at the hotel's Sydney restaurant. Our own room, Bob says it's a great looking brunch menu. OK it really was fate.

I really was hoping for the funky Marlowe. Something about that fake fur throw at the end of the bed was calling me back. But since it was Priceline I'll take what was awarded and enjoy it.

The hotel@mit is just a couple of block's from cigalechanta's so I can swoop by and feed her chicken noodle soup to help her recover.

Yeah right! Mimi's back in full force and will be pouring wine faster than I can drink it. I can't wait! :-)

Patrick Jan 23rd, 2005 06:33 PM

Well, I must admit I responded to that post as well, but let's be honest here.
How valuable is a post from someone asking "why are Americans sloppier than Europeans?" And then answering her own question by saying "or am I generalyzing too much?" Huh? Of course she was. What possible good could come out of such a thread? I didn't see the later responses, but my guess is they were just what was being asked for -- generalized insults about people.

indytravel Jan 23rd, 2005 06:43 PM

Patrick you're so right. Snowed in today I saw that one early and refused to respond to it. It looked like a train wreck waiting to happen.

Jeez, all you have to do is walk by the Innocents Fountain near Les Halles in Paris and you can see the sloppiest, baggiest, skate boarding-est attire you'd ever want to.

Hey dln! Nice to be reading about you and Marcy having such fun. I wasn't really bidding on European hotels with Priceline. I travel a little obscurely for them. I was bidding for downtown Indy. Got the Radisson for $46 a night for 3 rooms the first of March. Nieces, nephew, Dad, me, a cast of thousands. We'll have fun in downtown then move on. :-)

I leave the middle of March for 10 days in Reims, Nancy and Metz. It'll be my curvaceous beaux arts tour.

dln Jan 23rd, 2005 06:49 PM

Well then, David, if you're going to be downtown in March you may as well give us a call and we'll join you for a quick drink. I am envious of you going back to France in March. So is Marcy! I think I might not get back unti September...seems like such a long time to wait.

I didn't see the sloppy thread but I can tell you that my newphew who lives in the UK looks just as sloppy as my son in the US. So what's the point? Kids are kids.

tondalaya Jan 23rd, 2005 09:56 PM

UK kids dress sloppy but so do the adults.

Giselle Jan 23rd, 2005 09:57 PM

Patrick, no, no, no. It came about because I was talking to a neighboor. He is a college student and his wife is a teacher. The student said he went to school in his PJs once. He said his wife (young 20's both) went to Wal-Mart in her PJs. I was...er, shocked. I told them PJs were inappropriate, i.e. tacky and to consider in Europe people dress more formally, that we are known as slobs sometimes by their standards.

It was all in an attempt to get some good backup material about clothing norms for this situation with the young couple. Sorry it got ugly! For mods, I guess it wasn't all that travel related. (Bows head.)

ira Jan 24th, 2005 04:01 AM

Back in my college days, when there were no coed dorms, many of the students would just make it to the dining hall before the close of breakfast by throwing a raincoat on over their PJs.

At least once a week, some girl would forget and take off her raincoat.

((I))

Patrick Jan 24th, 2005 05:19 AM

Giselle, some Europeans think Americans are slobs. Some Americans think Europeans are slobs. Some Americans think other Americans are slobs. Some Europeans think other Europeans are slobs. Any reasons for any of these thoughts are, of course, generalizations.

Some Americans dress more formally than some Europeans. Some Europeans dress more formally than some Americans.

What college kids wear to breakfast, or what some harried housewife wears to Walmart, could be true in Europe or the US. Some people are different than others. Some Americans are horrified to see an overweight German middle aged man out in public in short shorts, black socks, and sandals, just as some Europeans may be shocked to see an American woman in Paris in white tennis shoes with her nice black dress. So?

I still fail to see any purpose in trying to peg groups of people into such generalized categories as "slobs". Trust me, no good can come of such a discussion. Maybe your curiosity was aroused, but I agree with indytravel that the thread was a train wreck waiting to happen.

cmt Jan 24th, 2005 05:27 AM

Some of the posts on this thread=
http://www.dwtoons.com/Horse/Horse1.htm