Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What great travel related gifts did you recieve or give this year? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-great-travel-related-gifts-did-you-recieve-or-give-this-year-666321/)

Ralstonlan Dec 27th, 2006 06:04 AM

What great travel related gifts did you recieve or give this year?

I got the English translation of the Italian bible of cooking, "The Silver Spoon". I can't wait to start cooking!

What wonderful travel items did you give or receive that you can't wait to use?

carolyn Dec 28th, 2006 01:24 PM

I got a book by Patricia Schultz called <i>1,000 Places to See before You Die.</i>

AnnMarie_C Dec 28th, 2006 01:38 PM

I gave DH a travel clock. It had been a few years since we were last in Europe and forgot not everyone believes in clock radios or just a plain clock. Fortunately, our watches have alarms but they're not always reliable.

TRSW Dec 28th, 2006 01:46 PM

I received 2 great books from my sister. One on Greece the other titled &quot;200 of The Worlds Most Beautiful Places&quot;. Just what I needed, now I am even more confused as where to go on my next trip.

I gave framed photos from my trip in October.

Tom

CarolJean Dec 28th, 2006 02:06 PM

I got 101 Beautiful Small Towns in France, a beautiful book. CJ

dorkforcemom Dec 28th, 2006 02:07 PM

I gave my husband a map of Provence - in anticipation of being there in April.

jody Dec 28th, 2006 02:16 PM

I gave my husband 2 tickets to Billy Elliot for our March trip

IrishEyes Dec 28th, 2006 02:46 PM

I got &quot;The Feckin' Book of Everything Irish: A Gansey-Load of Deadly Craic for Cute Hoors and Bowsies&quot; by Colin Murphy &amp; Donal O'Dea. It gives new meaning to the use of plastic cling wrap...among other things!

Two DVDs of &quot;Father Ted&quot;. Makes you want to visit Co. Clare Ireland and search for Craggy Island.

Bazonia Dec 28th, 2006 03:12 PM

I received, among other things, an odometer for my bike.

suze Dec 28th, 2006 03:19 PM

I bought my sister a beautiful new suitcase (she'd asked for one), plus luggage tag and TSA lock.

karentoft Dec 28th, 2006 03:20 PM

TRSW: I bought &quot;200 of The Worlds Most Beautiful Places&quot; for myself as a holiday gift! We are planning a family trip to Europe in early Jan. and I am looking forward to visiting some of the places in this book. I have a son who is studying abroad this academic year and has done quite a bit of traveling already over there so it is also fun to look up some of those places.

BikerScott Dec 28th, 2006 03:42 PM

I got a few travel-related gifts this year - my brother gave me &quot;101 Beautiful Small Towns in France&quot;, my parents gave my wife and I a gift certificate for a weekend at the Pacific Sands Resort in Tofino, on the West Coast of Vancouver Island, and my wife had all my pictures and my trip report from our recent 3 week trip to France bound in a professionally-printed coffee table book - it's amazing!
I've made out like a bandit this Christmas!

Susan33 Dec 28th, 2006 03:47 PM

I gave my husband a street map of Rome and &quot;1000 Places to See Before You Die&quot;. We will use the street map in October.

ElendilPickle Dec 28th, 2006 04:15 PM

Our daughter got us the Michelin UK road atlas for our trip in May.

Lee Ann

Brockbank Dec 28th, 2006 04:26 PM

Our son gave us a gift certificate for Wagamama restaurants in the UK. He said we might like it for an informal, quick bite to eat while we're in London.

yellowbyrd Dec 28th, 2006 05:01 PM

We gave L.L. Bean personal organizers this year. They are great for holding all of the toiletries you need when you travel. We also included a quart-size baggie with travel size shampoo, toothpaste etc. for a young friend going to Bangladesh for a month during the winter semester break.

lemidi Dec 28th, 2006 05:28 PM

I received the book &quot;French Women for all Seasons&quot; and my yearly Provence Calendar.
I sent an aunt and uncle in France an America the Beautiful calendar particularly because he has no desire to come here thinking it is all like New York I guess. I wanted him to see how beautiful it is here.

christieCA Dec 28th, 2006 10:05 PM

I also got the English translation of &quot;The Silver Spoon&quot;. I can't wait to dig into it this weekend! In addition, I got a travel journal and I gave my MIL the 6 day museum pass for Paris.

Maudie Dec 28th, 2006 11:59 PM

Ok, what I gave my hubby are quite boring but nevertheless useful.
European adapter, Samsonite hanging toilet bag, Coolmax shirts and socks, Sukodu book for the plane. And I got an Ipod.

Went light on the pressies this year - more to spend in Europe!

h2babe Dec 29th, 2006 03:20 AM

I got the book by Patricia Schultz (1,000 Places to See before You Die), which came in handy for my plane ride to Nigeria and back.