Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What gifts should I bring from the US to the Netherlands? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-gifts-should-i-bring-from-the-us-to-the-netherlands-776081/)

m_anne17 Mar 30th, 2009 03:54 PM

What gifts should I bring from the US to the Netherlands?

Hi everyone! I know this is kinda last minute, but I'm leaving for Amsterdam tomorrow evening and I'll be meeting up with my aunt while I'm there. I can't think of anything to give her from here. Doesn't have to be expensive, but I would like to give her something that she can't easily get in the Netherlands. Care to share your ideas? Thanks so much.

Cimbrone Mar 30th, 2009 04:18 PM

A coffee table book on the architecture of your part of the country would be nice.

BaltoTraveler Mar 30th, 2009 04:31 PM

Where do you live? As Cimbrone notes, something distinctive to your area is usually best. A food or drink item, for example. How about a cookbook of local recipes (with metric measurements if possible).

Passerine Mar 30th, 2009 04:59 PM

Is she Dutch or American? If she's American, perhaps some of her favorite treats or little items she likes but can't get easily in the Netherlands.
If she's Dutch, something local that's high quality and either edible, useful or attractive (and compact).
FWIW, the Dutch people we've met really like barbecueing. So perhaps a bottle of a "gourmet", hard to find barbecue sauce. And a bottle of good American wine for a small producer.

Passerine Mar 30th, 2009 04:59 PM

FROM a small producer.

julies Mar 30th, 2009 06:33 PM

Can people in the Netherlands buy brown sugar? Extended family in Lithuania can't buy US style brown sugar, so that is a frequent item brought there. Perhaps a bag of brown sugar and a package of chocolate chips with the recipe on it, and then you could make them a batch of good old US style chocolate chip cookies. Everyone from abroad seems to love these.

zeppole Mar 30th, 2009 06:52 PM

If you traveling with only carry on, remember you will not be allowed to have liquids in your bag.

I would be more tempted to bring spices if your aunt is a cook. I live in Italy, and it not easy to find things like cumin or chinese five-spice -- or popcorn!

lynnalan Mar 30th, 2009 06:54 PM

What about pancake mix and maple syrup?

jetsetj Mar 30th, 2009 08:09 PM

Im from Seattle so I like to bring things local to my area.

salmon
jellies
chocolates
coffee

m_anne17 Mar 30th, 2009 08:26 PM

Thanks everyone for the good ideas. I forgot to add that she has 2 young daughters (aged 6 and 9 I believe) and I don't know too much about my aunt. I haven't seen her since I was very young. I was thinking of getting easter themed american candies like m&m's and jelly bellies for her daughters. It doesn't need to be extravagant or anything. But anyone else who reads this, please don't hesitate to add your ideas.

ileen Mar 30th, 2009 08:48 PM

You should visit Target and see all the wonderful goodies they have for kids for Easter. Not too expensive either. The flavors of candies are different from the ones in Europe, thus whatever you buy will be appreciated. The packaging is different too. But do not buy Lindt or Cadburys because they are same everywhere.
From the grovery store you should get a couple boxes of fruit roll ups too. Kids love them.
Poppycorn packages are fun too as the flavors are different and kids like to taste new items.
Good luck. Do share with us what you finally decided to buy. Have a good trip.

jetsetj Mar 30th, 2009 09:01 PM

I thought the Cadbury (Fruit and Nut)
I bought in Paris tasted different (better) than same in USA

globetrotterxyz Mar 31st, 2009 12:31 PM

I hope it's not too late for my reply and that you haven't left for your trip yet.

My suggestion is to give them something that's a specialty of your local area. One time I brought my brother-in-law and his wife some macadamia nuts that my husband and I had gotten from Hawaii. They had never even heard of them before and were crazy about them after they tasted them.

For their kids, we had personalized license plates made with their names on them ... something like this: http://www.nycwebstore.com/detail.as...T_ID=AG-LP67LA

globetrotterxyz Mar 31st, 2009 12:38 PM

I guess I should have mentioned my in-laws are Dutch :)