Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What foods should we avoid when eating on the trains from Paris france,also going through italy? And what should we eat, and has anyone gotten food posion from eating on the train? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-foods-should-we-avoid-when-eating-on-the-trains-from-paris-france-also-going-through-italy-and-what-should-we-eat-and-has-anyone-gotten-food-posion-from-eating-on-the-train-181263/)

giovanna Aug 26th, 2001 03:06 PM

What foods should we avoid when eating on the trains from Paris france,also going through italy? And what should we eat, and has anyone gotten food posion from eating on the train?

hello it's me giovanna.My fiance'and I were wondering what kinds of foods should we avoid when travelling on the trains from Paris France, and going through Italy? And what kinds of foods should we try? I hope someone can helps us out.And if has anyone gotten food posion when eating train food.

Jody Aug 26th, 2001 03:13 PM

No But we did get it from eating scallops on a sunday in a first class patricia wells recommended restaurant.. Live dangerously, eat !!

s.fowler Aug 26th, 2001 03:23 PM

In a single word -- RELAX.

Melissa Aug 26th, 2001 03:42 PM

If you are concerned about train food, you can always bring your own on! That way you can be SURE you will eat what you want on the train.....their selections are somewhat limited, anyway.

Patti Suttle Aug 27th, 2001 11:43 PM

Last year I did something I usually do not do and that is to eat one of those "pre-packaged" sandwiches-it was on the train from Venice to Florence and it had mayo in it. Needless to say I was sick for much of Florence and finally felt better when we got to Rome. <BR>I kept going though! Did not let it ruin my trip! But, I am more careful now! <BR>Patti

dikjf Aug 28th, 2001 09:34 AM

Oh for heavens sake, use your common sense. I take it that if you're getting married then you are an adult - so act like one. <BR> <BR>All railway food is awful but if you're hungry you'll eat it. Pack a picnic - or better still bring all your food from home if the thought of eating something different scares you that much. <BR> <BR>Sometimes I despair....

ifitlookslikea Aug 28th, 2001 10:10 AM

Giovanna has been posting questions for months about this upcoming trip to Europe, and the questions get more and more bizarre and troll-like. Why would anybody even think of this, except to get some sort of nonsense controversy going? <BR> <BR>Giovanna, just pack some leftovers from your wedding reception for your entire trip. Don't take trains, and you won't have any problems with posion.

hans Aug 28th, 2001 10:25 AM

When we traveled on trains in France, we always packed a "picnic" to take on board with us. There were sandwich shops in or near the train stations that made great sandwiches. I loved the French salami with mayo on a baguette.

giovanna Aug 28th, 2001 04:19 PM

I guess the 2 people on here think that my questions are dum and troll like, They should look at them selves in the mirror,I don't think any questions that I have posted are dum, and there are people are here that would agree with me.No question is dum to ask,Why even answer my questions.you 2 cents me nothing to me. <BR> <BR>giovanna

Areyoupeople Aug 28th, 2001 04:25 PM

Here, from Giovanna's last post on the thread whether she was a troll... <BR> <BR>"First of all learn how to spell.second of all,You must have a really boring life,and third you are probaly a fat loser who has nothing to do all day but be rude and insulting to others on here You are the one that belongs in a Troll Camp.You are the stuipd one who is asking people on here if I'm a troll." <BR>

StCirq Aug 28th, 2001 04:33 PM

Giovanna: <BR> <BR>Given that French and Italian people travel and eat train food on trains every day of the year, your question does come across as not dumb, but a bit strange, as does your implicit assumption that you might get food poisoning from eating on trains as opposed to eating elsewhere. But be that as it may, train food is usually both of pretty poor quality and overpriced, and I try never to eat it. Most train stations will have a place where you can buy fresher, cheaper food to bring with you before you board the train, and that's what I usually do. If I've really got my act together, I'll put together a picnic lunch or dinner for myself (one that doesn't include mayonnaise or anything else that might spoil en route) before even arriving at the train station. Lots of Europeans do this. I remember watching a young girl on the route from Paris to Périgueux last summer: she carefully unwrapped a homemade baguette with butter and ham, then an avocado, which she carefully cut in half with an elegant knife, then scooped out the flesh with a silver spoon, and finally a small container of plain yoghurt, into which she dropped some raspberries from a tiny Ziplock bag. A tiny but lovely performance. And the elderly couple who opened a cooler on the table between their facing seats and emptied containers of lentil salad, sliced baguette, tiny goat cheeses, and cold chicken. If you're worried about train food, bring your own and make it an event.

Fortheunsuspecting Aug 28th, 2001 05:16 PM

St.Cirq et al regulars...If you read others posts before contributing yours, you might realize that you are wasting your invaluable time. Guess our little peon posts are too insignificant to scan over.

TaTaTopping Aug 28th, 2001 05:48 PM

Duped anyone?

StCirq Aug 28th, 2001 05:51 PM

Fortheunsuspecting: I did read all the posts. I'm not convinced Giovanna is a troll - perhaps this is naive, but if it isn't, she at least has some good advice now. <BR>I don't know how you Fodorites ever figure out who is who and who's a troll, personally. I'm used to a much more straightforward, honest system of posting that would no doubt "trample" on the rights of people posting here Hence my answers to possible terrible trolls - sorry.

PleaseDont Aug 28th, 2001 06:05 PM

Jeez...Intelligence level sinking??????? <BR>How could you miss the stupidity? I will take your name off the list of those I consider "credible" or "reliable"

Donot Aug 28th, 2001 06:17 PM

Avoid food. Avoid drink. Avoid train. Avoid marriage. Avoid any and every thing you may come across. Less worries.

For Aug 29th, 2001 05:11 PM

So sorry, one more post to top. The reason...me being blasted for suggesting Giovanna was not sincere..

Curious2know Aug 29th, 2001 05:16 PM

Who blasted you? (You may be blasted enough on your own!)

Sense Aug 29th, 2001 05:24 PM

Haha! I'm planning a train trip from Paris to Italy next summer, and I am totally excited by the every aspect of this experience, including the train food. Hmmm, maybe I'm the dum[sic] one. <BR> <BR>I just happen to have sort of a childlike excitement about the whole notion of traveling by rail. I did it as a child here in the states, and the memories are still very real in my mind - feeling like you were flying through space crossing a bridge with no sides, the blinking lights of distant towns when you'd wake from a night-time sleep in the pullman car, and the changing of trains at unknown stations, holding your cat in its crate, hanging on to mother's hand with the other.... <BR> <BR>Gosh, is it wrong to hang on to this sense of adventure well over the age of consent? Or should I worry more and enjoy less??? <BR> <BR> <BR>

Ed Aug 29th, 2001 05:30 PM

I'm with St. Cirq. Ditsy Giovanna may seem, and to others a bit annoying, but I suspect she's sincere. <BR> <BR>Which is more than others on the forum can say. <BR> <BR>Fodors could control some of this bullshit if they'd move to registration in one form or another. We'd have much less reason to suspect trolls. <BR> <BR>As long as Fodors wants quantity of postings, though, instead of quality, registration will never be a threat to those who don't want their freedom to malign trampled.