Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What European City Should I Travel To? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-european-city-should-i-travel-to-477776/)

airo2x Sep 30th, 2004 11:19 PM

What European City Should I Travel To?

Im thinking about taking my first solo trip this December. I have been to Paris, Florence, Rome and Zurich previous with a friend. I loved Paris' romantic feel, Loved florences size, and Loved Zurich's scenery, shopping and overall "feel"... I want to see a city that i have not previously encountered. In addition i would like someplace where my lack of other languages(besides english) wont be too big of a burden. What i like to do when travel is wander around a facinating city, look at landmarks, coffee in cafes while absorbing the culture, and simply just enjoying the change of scenery. Does anyone have any good suggestions? Also, i am partial to canals, lakes, rivers.. Thanks for the suggestions in advance. Also, tell me what in particular you liked about the city your are suggesting! Look forward to reading the comments.

WillTravel Sep 30th, 2004 11:22 PM

Is climate a concern to you?

airo2x Sep 30th, 2004 11:25 PM

Climate is not too big of a concern. I was in the swiss alps in Jan and that was pretty cold but i still loved it..

WillTravel Sep 30th, 2004 11:48 PM

I haven't been to Copenhagen in the winter, but based on my summer experience it would fit the bill for what you describe.

airo2x Sep 30th, 2004 11:54 PM

funny u mention copenhagen.. it was one of my top choices.. THanks .. Anyone else have any suggestions??

parisandelle Oct 1st, 2004 03:07 AM

I lived in Geneva for a year and I can tell you it offers everything you are looking for. You will find lots of nice cafes and great shopping. When I lived there I was surprised that the winter was quite mild (I am from Chicago originally). You have the beautiful Lake Geneva to enjoy as well.

Two other cities I adore are Prague and Vienna. Vienna is such a romantic city and filled with loads of famous cafes. In Prague you will find the locals are extremely pleasant, good food and a beautiful backdrop.

cmt Oct 1st, 2004 03:10 AM

VENICE (But get some feedback from those who've been there in December)

ira Oct 1st, 2004 03:15 AM

Hi airo,

Try Amsterdam.

Kate Oct 1st, 2004 03:17 AM

Venice is nice in December - not too overun with people.

Amsterdam also has the canals you favour, plus great coffee, plenty to see and easy to walk around. Plus zero language problems.

I loved Salzburg in December - great scenery, a river, lovely Christmas feel with light snow and decorations everywhere - also small enough to walk everywhere and very safe for a solo traveller.

Have you ever considered Prague?

cheryllj Oct 1st, 2004 08:18 AM

Amsterdam and Prague both come immediately to mind.

Both are beautiful places, and extremely easy to navigate for English-only speakers. It's rare to encounter anyone in those cities who *doesn't* speak English.

suze Oct 1st, 2004 08:56 AM

Venice or Amsterdam fit what you describe (I've visited both solo and only speak English).

If Geneva is of intestest include the nearby towns along the lake of Lausanne, Vevey, and Montreux.

rach Oct 1st, 2004 09:39 AM

Alsace France. Strasbourg or Colmar!

john44 Oct 1st, 2004 10:17 AM

The obvious choice is LONDON it is the best city in the world, it is vibrant, multi cultural, it has more Theatres, Museums, Restraunts, Tourist Attractions, Shops than anywhere else, It has endless sporting venues, exibitions etc.

If you can only go to one place it must be London

welltraveledbrit Oct 1st, 2004 10:26 AM

I'm not sure how much time you have but perhaps you could visit more than one city/area.

We were in Venice this year in early January and it was lovely. Long cold days but not freezing, lots of Italian tourists...I highly recommend it in the winter.

We visited Prague before Christmas (on the same trip) and spent Christmas with my family in England. Prague was very pretty at that time of year with a nice Christmas feel but even in December it's thronged with tourists. It also has some of the romantic feel of Paris. I liked Vienna but prefered Prague.

If you haven't been to London it is a great city and there is so much to see...it's always thronged with shoppers both before and after Christmas for the sales.

Hope that helps!

Bill_I Oct 1st, 2004 11:17 AM

For me, Oslo was the city I thought of in your description. When we went it was June though & don't know how that would be in December. To a lesser extent, also thought of our visit to Stockholm, & Copenhagen. But Oslo is the city I want to return to. It is a smaller large city, with all the great museums a short hop away at Bigdoy(SP). Being a port city, there is plenty of water scenery, & the fiord.

Grasshopper Oct 1st, 2004 11:47 AM

How about Lyon and Geneva?

Or London and Edinburg?

john44 Oct 1st, 2004 12:50 PM

Forgot to say London has Lakes, Rivers and Canals.

bob_brown Oct 1st, 2004 12:51 PM

London. It is expensive and crowded, but there is never a dull moment, unless you want to be dull -- or are dull.

airo2x Oct 1st, 2004 01:44 PM

Thanks for all of your replies.. i was thinking along the lines of prauge or copenhagen or Austria.. So i was glad to hear that you guys thought of those places as well.. I would love to go to london but i hear its so expensive there... For those of you who said prague what was your favorite thing about it ? Also what are some of the highlights to see in both prague and vienna... Let me know some details.. Thanks for the help!

airo2x Oct 1st, 2004 01:48 PM

by the way ill look into salzburg, venice and amsterdam too.. :)