Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What else should I see in addition to Normandy beaches to honor the memory of those who suffered in WWII?

Search

What else should I see in addition to Normandy beaches to honor the memory of those who suffered in WWII?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to visit the beaches of Normandy in an upcoming trip to France. I'm not very learned in the "history" of WWII, but my interest lie therein. Are there other places I should visit that would teach me more? I'm particularly interested in the Resistance movement. Thanks!
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 10:18 PM

I don't know about the Resistance movement sites, but I do recommend the American Cemetery.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 10:50 PM
lyb

The Caen Memorial is a must, especially if you want to learn more.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 04:37 AM
rex

Search "Arromanches" here, and read any of a dozen good threads, on the 3 (5? 7?) days' worth of worthy destinations in this 100-mile wide area.

And make sure to make Arromanches itself one (of the many?) centerpieces(s) of your trip.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:03 AM
ira

Hi M,

In Paris, there are:

Across the street from the back of Notre Dame is Place de l'Ile de France. A small gate on the right side of the square leads to the Memorial to the Unknown Deportee (Memorial de la Deportation). Inside are the names of the German death camps where 200,000 French men, women, and children, Jews and Christians were put to death.

The Paris Holocaust Memorial on the eastern end of Ile de la Cite near the bridge to Ile St Louis is small but effective.

If you can get that far, Oradour-sur-Glane, was the scene of a Nazi massacre of an entire village. It has been left as it was in 1944.

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:11 AM

If and when you are in Paris, you could visit the Musee de Jean Moulin and the Memorial de Marechal LeClerc. The are in the Jardin Atlantique on the roof the Montparnasse train and metro station.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:14 AM

Certainly while in Normandy you should not miss the Caen Memorial--it deserves at least 3 or 4 hours.

For the French resistance movement, there is the Museum of the Order of the Liberation (Musée de l'Ordre de la Libération) in Paris. It is located within the Army Museum at Les Invalides.

A good website for more information is Paul Reed's Battlefields of WW2:

http://battlefieldsww2.50megs.com/

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:18 AM

We were in Normandy 2 weeks ago. We took a train from Paris to Caen then rented a car. Used Bayeux as our base.

I would suggest you see "The Longest Day" and "Saving Private Ryan" before you go.

By all means, visit the American Cemetery
at Omaha Beach. Also visit the German cemetery at LaCambre. Quite a contrast.

By the way, the countryside in Normandy is beautiful.