Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What does your favorite country say about you? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-does-your-favorite-country-say-about-you-948138/)

Aduchamp1 Aug 26th, 2012 07:24 AM

What does your favorite country say about you?

There is a topic about what is your favorite country, but I often wonder what personality traits of yours attracts you to that country?

There are certain countries that people like that would not even make my top 20 and I am sure there are countries I love that others cannot abide. They strike a chord that makes you want to return.

What is that in yourself that strikes the chord?

Cowboy1968 Aug 26th, 2012 07:48 AM

Guess I don't really have just one.

I like Ireland because my friends live there and I got to know a bunch of great people. Also love the scenery.

I like the hinterland of Spain because there is so much to explore and discover with hardly one other tourist crosses your path.

I like Barcelona because it is the perfect mix of a functioning Central European metropolis, spices with some Mediterranean laid back attitude without overdoing it. Best of both worlds. Funny thing is that I am originally from Berlin and many of the people I know in BCN go back and forth between BCN and Berlin as I do, too.

I like Poland because of its people and that mix of vibrant "can do" attitude of Warsaw and the natural beauty of its unspoilt nature. And it probably also helps that one half of my family is from there.

Actually, I could go on and on.. London, Bucharest, Southern France, the Netherlands, Prague, Budapest..

If I got forced to pick one place it would probably be Barcelona.

Cowboy1968 Aug 26th, 2012 07:49 AM

What I don't like is my English spelling and grammar.. Good grief, why don't I ever proof-read..

MmePerdu Aug 26th, 2012 08:09 AM

I often wonder if we're genetically programmed for an affinity with place. I spend the most time in England, do week-long walks in the countryside and never seem to get enough.

My attraction to Morocco is a little harder to explain although maybe I'm a throwback, had ancestors there a thousand years ago. Just prior to visiting for the first time I painted a room in my house a sort of dusty terra cotta color, a big high room so it had a lot of impact. I then went to Morocco and found myself in a town where the majority of the buildings were painted the identical unusual color. I felt like I'd come home.

danon Aug 26th, 2012 08:16 AM

I have to agree with Cowboy about Barcelona... a perfect mix of cultures, architecture,
scenery, friendly people, great food, sense of style, and the " right size" city .

Spain appeals to me for more or less the same reasons......
There is an edge to it I like and cannot really explain.

Having said that, I would not turn down a trip to Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, Sydney,
Prague, Venice, Vienna , New York...etc.

tarquin Aug 26th, 2012 08:19 AM

I am a hedonist and Italy meets all my requirements:

beauty - art, architecture, scenery, the people
delicious food and drink
agreeable climate
shops of interest
intellectual stimulation coping with the language.

Camporico Aug 26th, 2012 10:29 AM

My favorite country is not European; it's Australia. I like the laid-back, no-nonsense, unpretentious people who live there. Those are traits that I would like to say I have in common with the Australians.

LSky Aug 26th, 2012 10:55 AM

Each time I visit a new country, it gets on my favorite list. I love Germany and keep returning.

It's the mountains, the people, the food, it's fun to speak German although mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut.

My husband and I love the modern architecture and art, as well as the old.

Aduchamp1 Aug 26th, 2012 11:20 AM

Very often people have an affinity for the first country where they spent time.

The countries I love are Italy, Spain, Turkey, and Belize. I appreciate many others. There are a few I could care less if I never go back.

The similarities are they all fill the senses and have deep rooted ancient cultures, the people are wonderful, and interesting landacapes. Each fills the senses in a different way and while Belize offers a great deal in term of history and architecture it only partially satisfies my interest in art, literature, and food.

StCirq Aug 26th, 2012 11:22 AM

I imagine it says "Bienvenue encore, Madame."

frogoutofwater Aug 26th, 2012 11:27 AM

I love Barcelona and enjoy many other cities in Spain, but my favourite country would be Turkey. There are so many layers of culture there, such a wide range of landscapes and experiences, the people are hospitable and the food is tasty. Istanbul in particular is extraordinary: so much exotic history in a place that has so much unexpected modernism. And there are great restaurants, museums and shops, too.

I also love the fact that women in Turkey got the vote before they did in some countries that people tend to think of as being more "modern". For example, they got the right to vote before women in France did, and two years before women got the right to vote on the same terms as men in the U.K. (Women aged 30 and over got the right to vote earlier than women in Turkey but the age threshold in the UK was higher than it was for men.)

annhig Aug 26th, 2012 12:35 PM

my favourite country is also the one I've just been to, though i'm mostly drawn back to France and italy.

nukesafe Nov 21st, 2016 09:23 AM

Reporting an obvious first time poster who joined only to hype a limo company!

WoinParis Nov 21st, 2016 11:25 AM

Nevertheless we could take back this thread...

My favourite countries are or were.
- Cuba (lovely people, lovely place
- USA, at least until the President said I live in a hellhole.

Sue81 Nov 21st, 2016 11:30 AM

I think that there may be something to the thought that I seem to like the places that I've been. It used to be Mexico, Merida, Uxmal/Palenque/etc. Then it was Germany, esp Bavaria with the Xmas markets, Rotenburg ober Tauber, Wurtzburg, etc. then Vienna with the great coffee houses,Spanish Riding School, Bellvedere Palace/great paintings, and the Vienna Opera House/Wagner/Ring......Then Italy and Venice with the winding cobblestone streets/canals/Florence and the Uffizi. Then London the Savoy Hotel/nice place/ fish and chips/ and the Crown Jewels at the Tower of London/ then France esp Normandy with the little farms/goats/organic farms/escargot/snail farm....Richard the Lionheart's castle in France/amazing spot, and of course Switerland/Murren with 12 waterfalls in the Spring around my cabin, Zurich and the great beer hall/little boats on Lake
Zurich and so it goes......Sue going again next Summer......

FuryFluffy Nov 23rd, 2016 05:45 AM

Apart from the countries where I was born and lived, which obviously I love more than any other ones, Netherlands and Japan are my favorites. Netherlands for its Orange football (sadly not very prominent at the moment), its sumptuous paintings, its lovely towns and its engineering feast (Maeslantkering and such). Japan for its zen-like scenery, the quirky and honesty of people, and the food!

But I can't say I don't love Italy or Germany either - I've had so many wonderful trips there.

I would really like to go to Cuba or New Zealand next.

bilboburgler Nov 23rd, 2016 08:00 AM

I've liked New Zealand, Syria and the Azores the most.

So out of the way places, though obviously some have seen better days.

tower Nov 23rd, 2016 08:35 AM

I've been traveling far and wide since the 1940's...usually with one of my two enchanting wives, except for my overseas army hitch.

Favorite country out of about 85 remains <b>IRELAND</b>. One word explanation....p-e-o-p-l-e! Driven the entire perimeter including the North, four times...wish I could go again. Alas, not to be. Happy travels to all....

tower Nov 23rd, 2016 08:56 AM

Sue..your mention of the Yucatan and Merida strikes a chord. My youngest daughter and her husband have retired there and love it. I miss them.

WoinParis Nov 23rd, 2016 09:01 AM

I had a row with my wife in Merida.
Obviously the fault of the city.
And the hotel whilst a 4 stars was junk.
And the food was uninspired.
And nothing on the Telly.
All because of the city.
:-)