Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What does "Economy Super" mean on the ferry from Athens (Pireaus) to Naxos?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning our Greek trip for September. We want to take a ferry from Pireaus to Naxos and the economy price is 26 euro and the economy super price is 10 euro. I can see that the economy super price is non-refundable and non-changeable, so I'm thinking that is why it is so cheap. Just hoping it doesn't mean that we have to stand out on the deck and possibly get rained on! Have you ever taken this ferry and do you know what economy super means?

Also, do I need to reserve these ahead of time? Do these ferries ever sell out -- assuming it isn't a holiday?

Thanks for any assistance.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 06:08 AM

Greek ferry fares used to be regulated by the government, but most of the restrictions have been lifted, so the operators can offer a greater variety of fares, charging more for popular sailings, and offering discounts to attract people to less popular services. Fares like "economy super" are new to Greek island services, so few people will have any previous experience of them.
I doubt whether any ferries are likely to be fully booked in September, apart possibly from sailings around the first of second weekend of the month.
Which company is this? What sort of ship? What day of the week?
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

This is a Blue Star ferry -- not one of the fast boats. Going on Sept. 23 which is a Sat. and returning on Sept. 27 (Wednesday).
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 03:01 PM

These Blue Star ships have an A-class (first-class) lounge. The rest of the ship, both saloon and open decks, is economy class. The economy super fare is a cheap restricted advance-booking fare, giving access to economy-class accommodation: saloons with upholstered seats, a refreshment bar, etc. Whether you pay 10 or 26 euros, you have the same facilities on the ship.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 05:27 PM

What are the names of the ferries that are high speed? We are having difficulty booking flights that are not late in the afternoon, and want to get the earliest possible start on the islands!

We are looking for the fastest possible ferries from Athens to Santorini. . . . Does anyone know how long the total ride would take? For example, if our flight arrives at 8:30 a.m. in Athens, how long would it take to drive to Piraeus? And, then how long does the ferry take to get to Santorini?
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 12:42 AM

A Greek government web site lists all departures from Pireas:
http://egov.yen.gr/en/yen.chtm?prnbr=29291
The schedules for September aren't available yet, but you can look at the last Saturday of August to get an idea. These are the departures for Thira/Santorini:
0725 SUPERJET;
0725 BLUE STAR PAROS;
0730 HIGHSPEED 5;
1730 BLUE STAR NAXOS;
2200 EXPRESS SANTORINI.
Thus, three competing vessels leave early in the morning, and there is then a ten-hour gap before the BLUE STAR NAXOS. You can check her arrival times and fares on www.bluestarferries.com.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Geoffhamer -- I would like to see this government website but I can't get it to come up. Is there any error in it? Thanks.