Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What does a 19 year old "geek" wear to a nicer restaurant in Paris and Vienna?

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Liz

Our son will be traveling with us. His usual attire is teeshirts and khakis, and he's always warm. I found a cotton "travelers" jacket in a catalog that I'm thinking could dress-up his usual enough to work. Does this sound good? Or too "old"? I'm hoping somebody younger than I will give me their opinion. He doesn't care about clothing, but will take advice. I'm thinking of restaurants a level below jacket & tie.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:37 AM
akidofsomeone

Um, "mom", you realize that you've called your son a geek? That isn't complimentary, you know.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Liz

He's the son of geeks, and we wear our geekdom proudly, thank you.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:59 AM
MomsOf

Dear mom of geek from mom of another geek*<BR>Our son wears a shirt that he especially likes that is grey with snaps instead of buttons,but still looks crisp and nice with a tweed sort of sports coat.Otherwise,he will wear a sweater with the cut of a tee shirt and a jacket if he absolutely has to wear that jacket...he is much happier in his tee under a shirt with a regular all weather jacket, which in this case would be no good.<BR>I would send him to Banana Rep or somewhere where the jackets and shirts are youngerstyled but still good enough for a Paris resto.<BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Jess

You don't say where you are from, but I'm guessing the US. If so, take your son to a Banana Republic and pick out a pair of dark pants(thye have some very stylish cargo-type ones that look like Hugo Boss pants) and a dressier short sleeve or lightweight long sleeve shirt. They have a nice selction of polos right now with a more formal fabric, not just cotton. That way, he won't have to wear a jacket, which will probably make him feel uncomfortable. This is how my boyfriend dressses pretty much all of the time. He's 25 and wears those close when traveling also.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Rex

Liz,<BR><BR>I am not younger than you, but I would recommend a lightweight black sweater and black pants; to add just a tiny bit of preppy touch, the sweater could be orn over just the collar of a white dress shirt showing.<BR><BR>I think this will get minimal resistance from a 19 yr old geek, and short of an absolute strict coat'n'tie place, this look will garner no raised eyebrows from restaurant staff, nor other patrons.<BR><BR>This is not how I dress, but I think it is a serious answer to your question. Ordinarily I would never answer a question about clothes on this forum. I am certainly not a fashion expert!<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Grasshopper

Haven't you heard? Geeks are in. They are the coolest thing now, whether in Paris or San Francisco or New York. And the geek look is not far from other cool young looks. Let him go with the t-shirt look but make sure the shirts are black, a little tighter than he wears at home and doesn't have "stuff" on the front (unless it's stuff about a hot new group). Instead of a jacket, a big shirt (neutral color or black). Khakis are good (haven't you see the "bon pantalon" commercial?) Remeber, a geek is the richest man in the universe.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Ahem

The richest man on YOUR planet.<BR><BR>Just had to set that straight.<BR><BR>God<BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 09:46 AM
xx

don't forget the hair. Black clothes will be fine, but to really fit in, he needs to learn how to wear lots of hair gel. Preferable to get his hair up into lots of little spikes. If he's willing to dye the tips of his hair a flame red, purple, or white/gold, that's cool too. If he's going to carry a daypack, get him one in Europe, the best brands for his age are Mandarin Duck and Kipling. <BR>A jacket and tie would be the absolute last thing he should wear!! Black or grey sweaters, NEW, well fitted jeans or casual pants. Button down shirts, either white, light blue or French blue, worn WITHOUT a tie, go over well almost every place. No golf shirts unless they're from a top brand, like Paul and Shark. And get him some good sunglasses for lookin marvelous at the outdoor cafes. Details always count with Europeans, and if he needs a new watch, get him one from Technomarine. <BR>Timberlands, or any comfortable shoe that's not a white sneaker, will be fine.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 10:01 AM
Liz

I think things are getting a little off-track. I don't want to give him a make-over, he's happy with his no-look look, and so am I. I just want the minimum thing to make him presentable in a nice (but NOT coat & tie)restaurant. I'll look into Banana Republic. Thanks for the advice.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 12:41 PM
annie

Liz:<BR>I laughed when I read "tee shirts, khakis and he's always warm"!<BR>Sounds like my SO!<BR>We bought a baseball style jacket (I think it was JC Penney) in dark blue silk to wear in nicer places. Wears nicely with khakis, dress slacks or jeans. Plus it was not too "warm" Have a great trip!

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 12:20 PM
ttt

to the top<BR>

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 01:10 PM
r

Liz; if he's the son of geeks then what's the problem? You can be the geek family going here and going there. Really. Frankly, I'm not sure what a geek is, but I think I usually like them. They are themselves. Especially at age 19. Let him be himself now while he still can; before the world makes him conform. We have a 19 yr. old "geek" as you put it. Even when we got him khakis and a decent shirt he still looked like one. Besides I agree with Grasshopper the look is quite in these days. I hope you all have a great time. It's fun to travel as a family.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 01:55 PM
dad

Even a geek would know better than to wear a baseball jacket to dinner in Paris.Slacks and a shirt with a jacket won't kill him and he might as well get used to knowing how to dress when he goes out in the world.We all had to learn.