Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What do you wish that you had left at home? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-do-you-wish-that-you-had-left-at-home-213348/)

Vita May 4th, 2002 05:18 AM

What do you wish that you had left at home?

There have been a couple of threads asking people to list things they wish they brought on their trips. I'm curious to know what you realized that you really didn't need when you got there. <BR><BR>I went on my frist solo trip last year and I realized that, when I travel on my own, I really don't need a lot of dressy clothes. I brought two pairs of dress slack and a pair of dress shoes and never used them. For my next trip, I'll bring one pair. I also won't be bringing a first aid kit on this trip.

mpprh May 4th, 2002 06:20 AM

Hi<BR><BR>I'm going to be killed for this !<BR><BR>My wife !<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

sandra May 4th, 2002 07:06 AM

I am with Peter the first trip to PAris was with my husband .. He wouldn;t go to the D'orsay or the loure or anywhere I wanted to go. Instead was forced to top of eiffel towere in November Freezing and A day at Euro Disney

elaine May 4th, 2002 07:10 AM

didn't need the flashlight that I packed once, but no more.<BR>Had visions of using it in dimly-lit churches and such, but it was too weak to do any good and the churches had coin-operated light meters anyway.<BR>Now if I go spelunking instead...

Mel May 4th, 2002 10:15 AM

First trip overseas - my hair dryer. Learned quickly that most hotels have them and, if they don't, it's less hassle to buy one there and leave it in a drawer for the next person.<BR><BR>Same goes for converters. Many hotels will give you one (big, heavy, ugly, but usually has two outlets) for a deposit--they never advertise it, but I've gotten one when asking in 3 out of 4.

Jessica May 4th, 2002 01:37 PM

extra pair of shoes

Mike May 4th, 2002 05:13 PM

Money belt. Not that they're not useful, but I found it to be too cumbersome for my own liking. My pants had a secure, inner zipper pocket, so I kept money/credit card/photocopy of passport in there. Never used the money belt once.

Maxie May 5th, 2002 08:10 AM

Too many shoes! Need two pair of walking shoes and one pair for evenings. That's it. Also agree that no hair dryer is necessary.... especially if you got to Scotland, Ireland or Amsterdam... it will rain on your head anyway.

Carole May 5th, 2002 08:43 AM

Peter, you beat me to it. I was going to say my husband - but I was only kidding. I did pack a hair dryer but never had to use it since the hotels had theirs.

xxx May 7th, 2002 04:34 PM

topper for Jim

Mrs. Bickers May 7th, 2002 04:48 PM

Rex

Danna May 7th, 2002 04:52 PM

We came right home and bought wine stoppers... my husband was embarrased that the B&B or Guesthouse staff saw our leftover wine in a baggie with a hair tie (clean mind you!)... this won't happen again! Cheers!

Danna May 7th, 2002 04:53 PM

oops... thought this was the "wish I had along" thread... nevermind :)