Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What do you wear to beaches in the S. of France & Italy???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2003, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering what some of you have worn to beaches in S. of France and Italian coast. I remember being surprised the first time I went to the beach in Europe. Fortunately, I was v. young so I chose to do as the locals.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 09:00 PM

We saw an unacceptably high proportion of middle aged guys in speedo type mini-trunks, sandals with socks, and gold chains. The Italians sporting this look tended to be chubby and hairy. The Germans chubby and pale.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 09:16 PM

Looked pretty much like an American beach to me. More men in Speedos, but some were in regular bathing trunks. I did not see any men in those huge baggy things the younger fellows wear in the states.

I wear a navy one-piece and didn't feel out of place. There were a lot of bikinis on the younger women. This was in France. I haven't been to Italy yet.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 10:29 PM

Well, Calamari, last year in the south of France I wore a plunging one piece suit. I think I am past the topless in public stage of life and wish others would do the same. I saw some sights in Cap Ferrat that I wish I hadn't seen, you know how it is, as women we remember the fashion mistakes on others more than the good looking ones.

I remember reading a thread here a while ago about men wearing lifts to look perky in their suits. I wonder what happened to it, it was one of the first threads I had read here.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 03:00 AM
ira

Hi Calamari,

I wear white, summer-weight flannels; a striped white-on-white shirt; rep tie; striped, summer blazer; loafers and a boater.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 03:53 AM
sandi

Calamari -

Wear whatever you're comfortable wearing. If it's a 1-pc, 2-pc, or bikini.

If the question is topless or not, well if you've got perky tat-tas, go for it, if not, then don't - and even if you don't and still feel comfortable topless, go fot it.

Boys and men check out the girls and women regardless whether they're in Europe where they see topless regularly; or the American men who are "in shock & awe"

As to what men wear on the beach - I check out the bodies, rather than the swim trunks or briefs. A good bod looks fine in either - a far as a bad bod, well, then nothing helps and more is better.

So it's up to you!

Old Dec 13th, 2003, 04:27 AM
Degas

I usually wear ragged cut-off blue jeans with a form-fitting black muscle T-shirt that accents my rippling pectoral muscles. I chose black out of immense respect for European color tradition.

If I want to really blend in, I wear sandels with black knee socks, don't shave my back, and hang a few fake gold chains around my neck that I get at a Pirate Festival down in florida every winter.

As far as jiggling Ta-tas go, I sneak a peek only when the Little Wife is busy applying suntan lotion to her short and very massive legs. The cottage cheese texture always draws jealous stares from all those rail-thin european babes.

It takes a little planning, but we always manage to blend in rather well in Europe.

Old Dec 13th, 2003, 05:24 AM

I didn't go in the water, but had I wished to I would have hired a wetsuit. Mid April in the South of France I assure you neither locals nor tourists in any physical condition whatsoever weren't exposing much.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 05:24 AM

I didn't go in the water, but had I wished to I would have hired a wetsuit. Mid April in the South of France I assure you neither locals nor tourists in any physical condition whatsoever were exposing much.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 06:06 AM

I'm too pale for the sun. I run for cover every chance I get. I wish I had the courage to carry an umbrella in summer sun, like they did in another century.

carnie
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 06:34 AM
ira

Hi carnie,

I'm sure that you meant parasol, not umbrella.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 06:41 AM

Thank you Ira, but I think "parasol" is just too kind and too small. I need my dad's golfer umbrella to cover my entire body.

carnie
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 07:01 AM
Degas

carnie, you better take two golf umbrellas just to be on the safe side. There is nothing worse than wet bulges on a windy day.

Old Dec 13th, 2003, 08:57 AM

I think it depends on if your parts are still perky.

Any perky part can still be shown off, but post-perk - cover them (whatever they or it is) up!

It is so nice if you are still proud and comfortable with your body, but for the sake of the rest of us, be kind, and put some clothes on.

The funniest line I heard on a beach in Nice was by my droll British friend. He was watching some past perk beach denizens on the beach and said, brings to mind the title The Pit and the Pendelum.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 09:28 AM

I am past the skimpy bikini , thongs or toppless stage, therefore I wear a sexy one piece bathing suit..
But anything goes at the beach in France or Italy.. mostly depends of how exposure you want or how brave you are...
Have Fun
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 09:30 AM

should have said how much....
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 09:31 AM

Chardonnay, Chardonnay..You are Funny...
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 10:11 AM

I actually prefer those highly coveted "tents" on European beaches. They cost more but I feel more "secure" in a cave if I want to get naked. It took me a long time to get comfortable with my body. My opinionated family has done much damage. I'm most comfortable in cut-off shorts and a man's tank top if I dare to go near the water. Luckily, some guys like boyish girls. Whatever works.

carnie
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 12:22 PM
dln

In the secluded swimming grotto my husband and I found in Sorrento, I wore my little bitty panties and my other half wore his tighty whities. It wasn't that we were adverse to swimsuits, only that we hadn't expected to stumble upon such a marvelous swimming hole, and we had to improvise! We'd actually have gone skinny dipping as opposed to skivvy dipping, but we weren't up on Italian laws of public decency and didn't want to chance it. Never know!

At a regular beach I'd go as the natives go, but truthfully, I'm not sure I'd encourage my husband to do likewise. I tossed his speedo 20 years ago when he emigrated to this country, and that's the way I like it! (Let's just say his handsome face has aged better than the pysique.)

Old Dec 13th, 2003, 12:57 PM
ira

OH DLN,

When I was much younger, and still in love with my first wife, we found a completely private cove on a beach in Bermuda. It was there that we went skinny dipping and made love on the beach, where the water meets the sand.

We were then given a round of applause.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -