Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What do you think of this package deal to Paris in February? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-do-you-think-of-this-package-deal-to-paris-in-february-662611/)

bailey6325 Dec 5th, 2006 10:00 AM

What do you think of this package deal to Paris in February?

Please let me know what you think of the following package deal to Paris (it's a group tour):

Feb 15 through 19 (15th and 19th are travel days)
Roundtrip air from D.C.
3 nights hotel at Mercure Paris Opera Garnier (with breakfast daily)
Guided walking tour through the St. Germain area
Paris sightseeing tour including Orangerie Museum
Dinner at Altitude 95 on the 1st floor of the Eiffel Tower

My total price is $560 and companion fare is $1040. The trip is through ACIS - an educational tour company. I went on a trip with them when I was a high school student and they are offering this deal to me to try to entice me to lead a tour with them at some point (with no obligation).

What do you think of the price - is it a good value or would I be better off planning my own trip? I was under the impression that I could probably put together a package for a better price for Feb, but I'm not sure - it looks like the airfare may be more than what it used to be for that time of year. Is that true or should I wait a little bit longer to see if there are some winter airfare sales?

Thanks for the help,
Jen

wally34949 Dec 5th, 2006 10:06 AM

February in Paris--no thanks.

Why is the companion fare more than yours--or is that for the two of you together? Is that Air France?

sandi_travelnut Dec 5th, 2006 10:13 AM

I'd go to Paris anytime. Personally, I don't care for tour groups but you have to ask yourself whether you'd be able to go another time on your own and compare the costs. If $560. is all inclusive it sounds pretty good.

bailey6325 Dec 5th, 2006 10:16 AM

$560 is my total cost and my companion would pay $1060 total. Their cost is more because they're hoping that I'll be a group leader in the future for them, thus bringing them more business. My companion, to them, is just someone coming along for the ride.

Thanks for your input.

WillTravel Dec 5th, 2006 11:08 AM

For three nights hotel with breakfast, for that hotel, is 474 Euros total for two people (based on the Mercure site price). You might be able to find a cheaper hotel on your own, of course.

The guided walking tour - not sure how long it is, but there are good Paris Walks options for 10 Euros each (or maybe it's gone up to 12?).

Not sure what the sightseeing tour is worth - perhaps 30 Euros each?

For dinner, again not sure what the cost is - maybe 75 Euros each?

So I'd put the value of all of that around 750 Euros, which is around $1000. So if airfare would cost more than $600 for the two of you, it sounds like you have a pretty good deal. My main concern is whether it's worth the cost for only 3 nights.

jodeenyc Dec 5th, 2006 11:16 AM

I went to Paris in February last year and it was wonderful. Valentine's Day in Paris - how can that ever be bad?!?

SeaUrchin Dec 5th, 2006 11:22 AM

From the EC to Paris I would do it too, not that long of a flight to recover from.

When my friend and I used to use her Travel Agent Fam rates, we would add the two costs together and then split it so I wasn't paying double what she was.

gracejoan3 Dec 6th, 2006 06:48 AM

Don't know why someone would say no to Paris in February!! I am going in February. I have been in Paris in April, May, Sept., Oct, Nov and December. I would never go in June, July or August and May has too many holidays. Paris will be wonderful in Feb. and a great winter break!!

Put your trip together and enjoy...........

Therese Dec 6th, 2006 07:02 AM

The trip strikes me as too short, and though certainly a reasonable price for you not really that much of a break for your companion.

ira Dec 6th, 2006 07:06 AM

Hi B,

www.mobissimo.com has 1 stop fare for $525 for your dates.

www.kayak.com has nonstop for $668.

You can easily find a nice hotel for about $160 per night dbl w/bkfst.

Dinner for two at Altitude 95 is about $125 or less.

Figure $100 or less for tours for two.

Total about $1755.

Not a great bargain.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

L84SKY Dec 6th, 2006 07:27 AM

Great price for you but if I were the companion I'd keep shopping and meet up with you later.

born2wonder Dec 6th, 2006 07:30 AM

bailey6325,

You and your companion could definitely go to Paris from DC for 3 nights for $1600 and enjoy the same amenities as you explained. I don't see the price as any big deal unless you actually pay only $560, and your dear companion gets stuck with $1040.

djkbooks Dec 6th, 2006 07:33 AM

We went to London over Thanksgiving once.

We were exhausted at the end of the first day, but fine after that.

Just be sure to pack (the ubiquitous layers) so as to be comfortable while out and about. You need more when outside longer than the usual getting back and forth to work, shopping, and running errands at home. But, you also need to be able to peel off clothing if it's overheated indoors.

bailey6325 Dec 6th, 2006 07:40 AM

Thank you all for your responses. I talked to ACIS and was able to get the $560 deal for my companion as well. Before, I thought there was a good chance that I could get us a better deal than what they're offering. Now, it's much more tempting for me - $1120 total.

ellabella Dec 6th, 2006 08:52 AM

That is awesome! I would definitely go.

jodeenyc Dec 6th, 2006 12:23 PM

You will enjoy it! I believe a previous poster mentioned the layers. I would also mention an lite waterproof jacket as an additional layer. I know you're only there for three days, but we had that annoying mist on us while there in February. It still didn't dampen our vacation however!

L84SKY Dec 6th, 2006 02:13 PM

That's great! Now can you get a few more days before you need to take the plane home. With the money you've saved on the companion fare, you can afford a couple more days in a hotel.
:-d

NeoPatrick Dec 6th, 2006 02:18 PM

I too would think twice before doing such a long flight two ways for just three nights there. (Two full days.) Will they let you stay a couple days longer or is that the deal?

Joe18 Dec 6th, 2006 03:12 PM

My first trip to Paris was on a similar package deal back in 1990. I had an extra night but a less fancy hotel. Then my wife and I stayed for another six nights on our own. I'm not sure, but I think our package cost around $500 per person. Getting the same deal today sounds great--and presumably you can extend your trip. I remember the time as warm and sunny (there were crocuses out on the Champs de Mar when we arrived). But my wife always reminds me that in the 10 days, we experienced sun, rain, sleet, snow, and high winds. In fact all the public gardens were closed because tree limbs were falling on people's heads. But I still remember Paris as sunny and warm in Feb. of '90.

born2wonder Dec 6th, 2006 03:51 PM

Wow bailey.

ACIS is wheeling and dealing. They just knocked off $480 dollars for your companion? Maybe you can get a free trip if you go back and tell them you just don't know if this deal is tempting enough!! Maybe they will pay you to go.