Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What do you think of: Sei a Roma Accomodation in Rome's suburb?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello fellow travellers! My girlfriend and I are going to Rome in January 2007. I am thinking about staying at this Sei a Roma Accomodation (www.seiaroma.it). Its location is on Via Flaminia Nuova near the Rai centre (Italian Television), Saxa Rubra. The rate for 4 nights with breakfast is 165 EURO which is cheap compared to the 200+ EURO places I found. From booking.com, it seems that the place is well kept (clean).

Here is the direction from Termini to the B&B:
Take the Metro A line - direction to Battistini - and get off at Flaminio. From Flaminio take the line Ferrovia Roma Nord (the right train is that indicated by an electrical sign ''Servizio Urbano per Monte Bello''on the platform ) and get off at Centro Rai. Remember to request the stop in advance! Exit to the left and walk straight for 700 mt. until our B&B.

Could you please comment on its reputation, location, distance to the city center, etc?

I also found several places to stay around Termini Station. Is Termini a safe area?

If you have suggestions which areas will be best for a 4-night visit (50 EUR/night), I'd appreciate it.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 02:37 PM

It sounds awfully far away to me. I think the Metro A line stops running quite early. And 700 meters walking distance from the nearest public transportation is pretty close to half a mile.

Some areas around Termini are quite safe; others are a little seedy. It depends on the address.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Hi Eloise. Yes, you are absolutely right. That B&B is too far (15-20 mins) from the center.

I've found some good hostels (based on the online reviews) around Termini. Do you know which part of Termini I have to avoid? Here is a map of the Termini area from Google:
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en...21629&om=1

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 09:46 PM

Check out Hotel Aberdeen on Via Firenze. It was 85 euros last January for two with breakfast and one block off Via Nationalze(sp?). It is listed in both Rick Steves and Frommers and you can check it out on tripadvisor.com. Our family has stayed there several times and have really loved it. Great location-two block walk from Termini(very safe area) and the closest metro is Repubblica which is one block away.The staff are wonderful and very helpful, rooms are great with minibar,safe and cable TV and they also have free internet in the lobby.Stay in Rome and really enjoy the city!
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 05:29 AM

Laperaje,

Thanks for supplying the map! As a rule, the streets NW of Termini, up towards the Teatro dell’Opera and the Piazza della Repubblica - such as Via Firenze that Dutyfree mentions - are fine. I would probably avoid the other areas immediately around Termini.

The neighborhood between Via Nazionale and Via Cavour is a safe, very Roman and relatively untouristed one where you might find inexpensive accommodations. It is somewhat less well connected from the point of view of public transportation, but within easy walking distance of most of the ancient Roman sites.

I might avoid the establishment at 58 Via Cavour; it has a somewhat dubious reputation here on the basis of many posts by the owner that have been removed.

Good luck - I hope you’ll love Rome as much as I do.
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Eloise:
For a moment, I was confused which Dutyfree you were refering to in your writing (Hi, Dutyfree!) hahaha..

I have made a reservation for this location: http://www.hostelworld.com/availabil...noBB-Rome-4888
It seems like a nice place to stay within the area that Dutyfree and Eloise suggested.

Well, I'm done with the reservations now. Phew.. I spent two straight days booking the airline tickets (10 EUR/person including taxes for Ryanair from Duesseldorf) and for a place to stay.

My girlfriend and I will surely enjoy Rome as it has been our dream vacation. Thank you again, Dutyfree & Eloise! Happy holidays!