What do you think of Eaastern Europe?

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 08:40 AM
Julie

What do you think of Eaastern Europe?

I don't see a lot about Eastern Europe on the board and I'm considering traveling there next summer. Who out there has traveled there and where? I've been to Prague and really liked it. This trip would include Berlin, Dreseden, Warsaw, Rab Island off the Dalmation Coast and Budapest along with some small towns along the way. I've enjoyed traveling through Germany, Switzerland and Austria in the past. The above places would all be new to me. So what do y'all think of this part of the world?

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 08:45 AM
Art

Hi Julie, berlin is a great city. I have not been there since the wall came down, but will spend 1 1/2 days there in a couple of months. I spent 7 days in Budapest 2 years ago and loved it. I think that Budapest is one of the most beautiful cities that I've been to. I will be traveling to Poland and Romania this year and will do a travellog on my return.
Regards,
Art

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 09:42 AM
Linda

Berlin is one of my favorite cities. If you like history, then from ancient ruins to the World Wars to the Cold War, Berlin has it all. The cultural events and friendly people just round it out. Dresden is a nice city and the reconstruction after the war is amazing. Meissen is just a short distance, if you like that porcelein--not much cheaper though. May I suggest that you look to Krakow (with day trips to Zakopane and Auschwitz/Birkenau) as an alternative or in addition to Warsaw. Zakopane is a small resort village in the Tatras Mountains and is a finalist for the winter Olympics. Krakow is smaller than Warsaw but was not destroyed during the war and the old town has not been changed much in centuries. As Art said Budapest is a nice city and has lots to see and do.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 09:48 AM
Art

Julie, go to lonelyplanet. There is a lot of information on central and eastern Europe. Its the only place that I've been finding information on Poland and Romania. Do a search here on Budapest or the pulldown menu select Hungary and you'll find a lot of posts.
Regards,
Art

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 09:54 AM
Jim

Julie,
I agree with Linda. Skip Warsaw and go to Krakow,Auschwitz/Birkenau and Zakopane. I have traveled throughout Poland and would go to Warsaw only if I had time to spare. krakow is only about 175 miles from Budapest. I think skipping Warsaw will save you a lot of miles.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 09:57 AM
jhm

I've been to Hungary, then-Czechoslovakia and various parts of Poland and would be happy to help with any questions you have regarding these parts of your trip.