What do you think abouth Best Westerns

Jun 12th, 2001, 12:54 AM
Ahmet

What do you think abouth Best Westerns

What do you think about best westerns?

Jun 12th, 2001, 01:41 AM
Cowboy

The ones staaring John Wayne were the best in my opinion.

Jun 12th, 2001, 04:06 AM
pilgrim

Good one, cowboy.

The Best Westerns in Europe aren't like ones in the US. They're a little more "lived in". Stayed in one outside of Paris and was caught there during a strike (had to stay an extra night.) The guy at the desk gave me 3 keys and told me to pick the room I liked best. The rooms were basic, but had character (old building). It was clean and I felt safe staying there.

Jun 12th, 2001, 04:14 AM
elaine

You can't generalize about them, either in the US or in Europe. They are individually owned and operated, at least some are. I stayed in one in
LA once that was an absolute pit--I didn't want to touch anything.

In Europe some of the large hotel chains like BW, Comfort Inn, have taken over small hotels, or a small hotel has joined them. Each one can certainly retain its original distinctions (pros and cons) in architecture, amenities,
decor, services, etc. It just depends on the property itself, and on its local management.

Jun 12th, 2001, 06:31 AM
Alec

In my experience, BW in Europe works more like a marketing consortium than a corporate brand. It seems hotels pay to join BW chain in order to benefit from international marketing and publicity and central reservation, though you can usually book direct as well. So it's very difficult to generalise, as the properties differ so much and there is no uniform standard of facilities, service or comfort. Most fall into 3 to 4 star category within their respective country, and those in cities are big on groups, incentive and conference travels. So you have to investigate each property and not rely on BW badge as a mark of quality.

Jun 12th, 2001, 07:10 AM
Lori

Have stayed in several BW's in Europe, all were fine. They are all individual hotels, generally smallish (20-40 rooms), 3 Star (usually), and belong to the marketing network of BW, hence they can benefit from BW's advertising, toll free resevations, etc. I believe they must meet certain requirements to belong to the network, but other then that they are individual hotels (not a chain, no two alike). Like all hotels, there are probably good and bad ones - just as there are good and bad Hilton's, Sheraton's, etc. so it is hard to judge. We have had good luck with them tho.

Jun 12th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Art

Best left in the west.

Jun 12th, 2001, 07:38 AM
John

Without personal recommendations from folks that have, been there done that BW can be dicey for my taste.

Two good ones in Europe are:

BW in Pasitea South of the Amalfi Coast (Naples, Italy). Great property/rooms with private beach. The price/value there is the best I have seen anywhere, anyplace.

BW Stielbrau in Salzburg, Austria is a relatively run of the mill property, with GREAT service and a SUPER restaurant.

Jun 12th, 2001, 09:22 AM
John

We've stayed at several and it's been a mixed bag. None have been downright seedy, but as I recall there hasn't been a lot on the charm-ometer, either.
Still, if you're planning an unstructured trip, and want to book a day or two ahead so you don't turn up during the middle of fiesta week and find that all the cute rooms in the quaint hotels are taken, leaving you the last "zimmer frei" in Frau Blucher's attic, then the BW network's free advance booking, and their nice color catalog, can be a lifesaver.

Jun 12th, 2001, 09:28 AM
John

An advantage is the cancellation policy.

Jun 12th, 2001, 10:18 AM
xx

Funny to read some of your responses, as I try to stay in a BW when I go to Europe, if possible. Namely the Hotel Canada or the Villafranca in Rome. The Greens Hotel in Edinburgh used to be a BW but is now a British Trust Hotel, which are good as well. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Jun 12th, 2001, 10:07 PM
Kathy

We stayed at the Roxburghe Hotel in Edinburgh two years ago and had a wonderful stay; hotel was old but had been refurbished, rooms and bathrooms were more "American" than we had experienced in London; concierge was great. Turned out it to our surprise it was a Best Western so I guess it just depends.

Jun 12th, 2001, 11:59 PM
Jon

In the U.S. I wouldn't consider BW.

However, in Paris we were very happy at Au Manoir Saint Germain des Pres. It's a reasonably priced 4 star in the heart of the 6th. Great location, nice rooms, spotless bathrooms...everything I look for in a Parisian hotel.

j.

Jun 13th, 2001, 01:57 AM
Greg

The poster that said that the Euro Best Western's were more lived in than the American Best Westerns was probably right.

I also think that the atmosphere is probaly more typically European, at least based on my experiences using Swiss Best Westerns. I've stayed in several over the years. The hotels are usually moderate in price range and do not always have an American patronage.

I stayed in one in Saas Fee that had no other Americans other than myself staying there. The staff could speak English about as well as I could could speak German, which meant that we made many sign jesters trying to get each other to understand each other.

I like the Swiss Best Western Hotels

Jun 13th, 2001, 02:08 AM
Ursula

Linda: You should take a room, also if you have the layover during the day. 16 hours is looong. A lot of larger hotels have special rates for that.
Enquire with the Zurich Tourism Office at
www.zurichtourism.ch
Good luck!
.. and yes, go for a boat ride. Very relaxing and nice after hours on a plane.

Jun 13th, 2001, 02:10 AM
Ursula

Fodors: What is this? Do you mix answers now? I posted about BWs here....

Jun 13th, 2001, 08:27 AM
Charlie

I've stayed at two BW in Paris, one the Bradford Elysee, very close to Rue Fabourg St. Honore. Small, clean, good bathroom, central air conditioning and great prices. Walk to Champs E. and to Arc de Triomphe, best bakery in Paris, Julien, is around the corner. Also, the Etoile Ferdinand is good and in a similar location.

Jun 13th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Thyra

It's true that it's a very mixed bag with Best Western properties, I wouldn't seek them out particularly, however when we visited the island of Ischia off the coast of Naples, the best deal I could find was on a Best Western Owned property,,, Regina Palace, which was actually more like a resort... spa, charm, location, friendly staff, 4 star restaurant... it was weird, definately NOT like a Best Western in So. California. But as mentioned I believe often times some of these established "American" chains buy out older European hotel properties and take them over, though they are under the Best Western Francise, they are still old European hotels with all the flavor that entails.

Jun 13th, 2001, 09:13 AM
Andrea

Best Westerns in Madrid are all great-they seem to be hotels that were a good deal before but are even better now as part of BW!

Jun 13th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Rosenatti

I stayed at the Santo Domingo, a BW, in Madrid and thought it was charming. My suggestion: Just pick the hotels that appeal to you and ignore their chain affiliation. In Europe, every BW is different.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO