COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What do you love about Southern Spain and why? From an Italy devotee

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I know this is a personal choice but I need help convincing myself that I should broaden my travel horizons. I have been to Greece 2x, and Italy 4x. I am hooked on Italy because I have family there and am taking Italian classes so it's nice to see how I am progressing. Since we have recently re-connected with our Italian family, probably any trip to Europe would conclude with a week visiting them.

For next June I am considering doing 2 weeks in Andalusia then Barcelona before going to Italy. But, I am stuck on the idea of seeing the next region that I'm dying to explore in Italy, Puglia. Please tell me why a trip to Southern Spain could be or not be just as fulfilling as a trip to Southern Italy. I am just looking for opinions, and I know it's a very open-ended inquiry. I'm probably asking for it with this one, but, I'd love to hear everyone's opinions.

To sum it up: what do you love about Southern Spain and why?
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 03:46 PM

Well, you know I love Italy and have also spent time in Puglia, so I may have some perspective.

Andalusia is different. It is Moorish Spain and the ambiance and architecture reflect that. After 12 trips to italy and 4 to Spain I can assure you will like Andalusia. If we travel to experience different cultures then here is another one.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 03:51 PM

Southern Spain is really very little like Italy. The phsycial setting is very different, the culture and history are very diferent (and fascinating) and the opportunity for a little relaxing but extravagent beach time (esp Puerto Banus - I love those gigantic yachts) is IMHO unique.

Definitely go - you'll love it.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 02:07 AM

I have been to Abbruzzo and Sicily as well as Rome, Milan, Venice and the Dolomites - but I want to see much more of Italy.
However Andalucia is very differennt and very varied within.
If you mail me on [email protected]
I'll send you my notes and URLs.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts. I will e-mail David for his notes. How I will be deciding what to do will probably be that if I can take 2 weeks off I'll do a week in Puglia and a week with my family. If I can do 3, I will venture into Southern Spain.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Another try- I thought I'd get more thoughts on S. Spain!
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 05:43 AM

We visited Andalucia this fall after many trips to Italy. We had a difficult time deciding to expand our horizons beyond our beloved France and Italy but are so glad we did. Andalucia is wonderful - we loved the scenery, the beautiful weather, the flowers, the white villages, the Moorish architecture in the cities, the food. The Alhambra is more beautiful and more amazing than I have heard in the most hyperbolic descriptions. For me, all of Andalucia is a feast for the senses and we have happily added Spain to our list of favorites.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 07:23 AM

Frankly, one reason you may not be getting "more thoughts" is your obvious infatuation with Italy..which is fine..but why waste a lot of time trying to convince someone?
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 09:05 AM

AP - I have been to both Italy and Spain. I love them both! Andalucia has the moorish architecture and influence, wonderful small towns, beautiful scenery etc. You'll get a different cultural experience also - where in Italy I enjoyed a glass (or bottle) of wine before dinner by sitting at a restaurant, in Spain you can eat tapas and drink wine or beer or sangria standing up at a bar talking to the wonderfully friendly Spaniards.

They are different, but both great. Broaden your horizons! Va a Espana!

Karen