Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What do you know about the ice hotel in Sweden?

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 12:58 PM
Beth

Hi all -

I'm trying to convince my husband, who refuses to travel abroad (unbelievable, I know!), to travel with me just once. The only place he has ever really shown an interest in is the ice hotel in Sweden. I've heard of it, but I need more info. Where in Sweden is it located? Has anyone actually stayed there? Do they have a website?

I'd love to hear from anyone who has stayed there. Did you like it? What exactly does it feel like to sleep on a slab of ice? What is the area like? What else is there to do in the area?

Thanks for your help.
Beth

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 01:14 PM
SharonM

Beth,
sounded neat so I did a web search and here' the website:

http://www.scantours.com/ice%20hotel.htm

Otherwise, can't tell you much as I've never been there.

sam

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 01:16 PM
elvira

beth: brought a couple of old threads to the top for you, including "Copenhagen, etc. in February" with info

Old Nov 22nd, 2000, 03:08 PM
Lidija

official web site

www.jukkas.se/frameset_eng.htm

also in case he wants something a little closer we are getting an ice hotel in Canada www.icehotel-canada.com.

I'm trying to convince my boyfriend we should get married in the chapel at the ice hotel in Sweden. Saw the picture on the jukkas site and fell in love with it.

Old Dec 15th, 2000, 02:50 PM
nancy

Topping

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 06:57 AM
rlk

Think I heard the ice hotel was just 'built' and has opened up for the season ---since we've got two threads running about it, there's some curiousity about the place.

If no one's actually been there, can we nominate someone to check it out ???
I'm not a cold weather gal; and it seems we're talking REALLY cold for where this place is. But I've intrigued by the idea of an ice hotel.

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 07:03 AM
rlk

--
Don't know what I'm so captivated by the idea of an ice hotel. Like I said, I don't like the cold, but I plugged in the website (see Sharon's post above w/URL) and here's some of the info about the place.

=====

Well, there is such a hotel; the Ice Hotel, situated on the shores of the Torne River, in the old village of Jukkasjärvi in Swedish Lapland.
10 000 tons of crystal clear ice from the ‘ice manufacturing plant’, the Torne River, and 30 000 tons of pure snow generously supplied by Mother Nature are needed to build the Ice Hotel every year. The hotel sleeps over 100 guests, and every bedroom is unique.
Covering more than 30,000 square feet, the Ice Hotel includes an Ice Chapel, the hotel itself, an ice art exhibition hall, a cinema and last but not least, the world famous ‘Absolut Ice Bar’.

ICE HOTEL
Accommodation
Our guests inevitably have a few queries before tucking themselves in their sleeping-bags in one of the stylish ice suites. Our igloo guide will be happy to explain everything you need to know about sleeping in the Ice Hotel.
You will be supplied with a specially made sleeping bag (made by Fjällräven who know a thing or two about sleeping in the Arctic) complete with a sleeping bag liner. In the morning a hot drink will be brought to you, after which you can enjoy an early morning sauna followed by breakfast.
The temperature in the Ice Hotel varies between -4 and -9 degrees centigrade, depending on the temperature outside and the number of overnight guests.