What do you guys think about Angers?

Apr 19th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

What do you guys think about Angers?

I'm trying to decide where I should go for a French language program. I heard Paris is flooded with tourists in the summer. Angers was recommended as an excellent place to learn the language. Annsy looked interesting also. I think Angers might be best for language and population, in terms of integrating into the culture easier. Any advise will be much appreciated. thanks.
Apr 19th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

(sorry I meant Annecy)
Apr 19th, 2007, 12:04 PM

I think you'd better repost with Annecy in your title if you want to get the maximum number of helpful responses.
Apr 19th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Sorry once again. I did want to know what people thought about Angers. Annsy=Annecy
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:02 PM

Angers is not exactly unknown to tourists!

It's a very pleasant city, and seems to me to operate at a more easygoing pace than does Paris. Yet it also has a good buzz about it, a brightness of lifestyle -- perhaps because it is a university city.

In general, I find the French spoken in the Loire valley relatively easy to comprehend, something that is probably good for one learning the language.
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:31 PM

I think Angers is a pleasant city, but love Paris and wouldn't go to another city to study because of tourists. But I like big cities and what they have to offer. The French spoken in the street in either location is not that relevant to a student IMO, as it depends on the teacher who certainly should be able to speak well. All of the French teachers I've had in France have been very well educated. Sure, you may be speaking a little to people in the street, but I don't think that matters so much, especially for a short time.

If you are a student, where tourists go in Paris probably isn't that crucial, actually, as regular people tend to be in different areas. I've studied in Paris five times in the summer (three times language, twice music), as that is the best time for most people to go for those programs, and tourists didn't have much effect on me at all. I wasn't doing tourist things that much nor staying in the general areas where there are a lot of them. Sure, I was a little, and I would visit museums in my free time, but it wasn't a big thing that tourists were there, really.
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

thanks christina that comment was very helpful. I've been to Paris in the winter and I loved it. Anger was recommended but Annecy sounds so charming.
Apr 19th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Hi, moonlope

How long are you going for?

What are your other interests?

will you have transport, apart from trains etc?

Angers is lovely, but you might find it a bit restricting after a while. ditto annecy. depends on if we're talking about a week or 3 months.

regards, ann
Apr 20th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Original Poster

hi ann,
thanks for the interest. I'm going for 2 months. I'm going to be taking an intensive language course and I want to go to a place where I will be able to immerse myself in the local culture. I'm an artist and I also study literature and history. I"m 27 and my life thus far has been "off the beaten path" so to speak. The size of Angers sounds perfect. Paris might be too big to integrate in such a short time period. I've been to Chamonix and I would be worried that Annecy would be similar in that the week I spent in Chamonix I didn't meet anyone from there.
Apr 20th, 2007, 02:28 AM

In the best of all worlds, you would be doing this in some other season. In July and August, most people will be taking four weeks of vacation. There is much coming and going. People's minds are elsewhere, even when they're at home, anticipating trips, etc. This will make meeting people more difficult. Generally, the smaller the place, the harder it is to have anything more than very short, practical interactions. Angers is a nice city. Probably your best choice - on the hunch that more people there may stay put through the summer than in Paris. Just a guess.
Apr 20th, 2007, 03:00 AM

I confirm Paris is large enough to absorb its tourists...

Another thing to take into consideration that Paris can now be very hot in summer, as it it dense and mineral. In Angers, and even more in Annecy, you'll have easier access to outdoor, hopefully refreshing activities such as swimming or boating.

Angers and Annecy are both desirable cities, quite different from each other, and in very diffrent parts of France. Annecy is a bit more touristy than Angers, being in the Alps and on a lake, with great scenary. Having visited Angers last August, I found the city a bit empty, with some businesses closed for the summer break. Annecy gets tourists year-round and will probably be a bit more expensive (at least it is supposed to be one of the more expensive French cities outside Paris in real estate terms). Finding accommodation in Annecy in summer may be trickier than in Angers.
Apr 21st, 2007, 01:26 PM

hi, moonlope-

two months is a long time in one place - the longest i ever spent abroad was a month when i was 17, living with a german family and it felt like quite a long time.

One advantage of Angers I only just thought of is that you could take the train up to Paris if you wanted to. Also Tours, blois, etc. not so easy from Annecy, but you could get to other places from there, I suppose.

Angers is a big student town but they aren't likely to be around when you are. Nevertheless, i think it would be my choice.

What sort of accommodation are you in? if a family, that could help a lot with providing company as well as practice.

regards and good luck!

ann