Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What do you enjoy observing most in Europe: the people, scenery, shopping, or culture?

Search

What do you enjoy observing most in Europe: the people, scenery, shopping, or culture?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 02:44 AM
Vance

I was looking at some old posts about Europe and a number of posters were almost screamed at for observing the differences in people. We were directed (ordered) to stop watching the people and instead enjoy Europe for its scenery and culture.<BR><BR>What is the most interesting aspect of traveling to Europe? People, scenery, culture, shopping, or ?

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 02:57 AM
Sheila

People and culture are so intertwined you can't separate them. That's the big joy for me, seeing both.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 03:26 AM
Rex

It's fairly difficult to move outside a "shell" of people who work in the "hospitality" industry any place you travel. But they too reflect the culture. Sheila's comments are right on target. If culture means the "big" cultural "icons" - - churches, museums, department stores, tourist attractions, then many travelers get more familiar with those, than with people (epsecially outside the "industry").<BR><BR>But you can get familiar with a culture through many different ways. and the more ways you try, the better.<BR><BR>Nice question. Hope it becomes a nice thread.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Pauline

I'm a people watcher from way back.<BR><BR>I love taking in the splendours of ancient sites, churches, museums, etc but sitting at an outdoor cafe, people watching, is a great insight into the culture/attitude, of the inhabitants of that particular city or town. imho.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 05:23 AM
xxxx

Vance, are you talking about the same post I saw? I saw one where people were actually saying that the most important thing in traveling is observing the other travelers there -- it started as a thread about the various visitors to Washington D.C. I was one of the people who "screamed" at them, saying what other "tourists" there are at a site is not as important as the site itself. Sorry, if you think that's wrong. The thread never started about observing the locals and their customs which I think is a worthwhile activity -- but was about observing what other tourists there are there and how much that tells you about the attraction or site itself. Hogwash!!!<BR><BR>To me the most important things are the culture (which of course includes the people who live there) and the scenery and architecture. Food and wine would be next on my list.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Sheila

People and culture are so intertwined you can't separate them. That's the big joy for me, seeing both.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 06:14 AM
t

the hairy armpits on beautiful young woman and their scent

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Betsy

You know what traveling has done for me? Its made me a better US citizen. When I travel, I've discovered I'm more open to differences, more accepting of different kinds of behavior, at least different from what I'm used to. The more I become aware of this as I travel, the more I remind myself to bring it home and practice.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Dina

I think the original poster is referring to threads where some posters took offense at others who remarked on the behavior of people of different nationalities or ethnicities. <BR><BR>Some of those remarks or observations were condemned as bigoted, racist, disrespectful, or chauvinistic.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 12:04 PM

top<BR>

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 12:52 PM
one

I've always loved learning French, cooking French dishes, reading about French culture, but this spring will be my first trip there. It will be very interesting to see the art, architecture, scenery and people in action. Shopping is really fairly far down on my list.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Paul

one ([email protected])<BR><BR>hope you aren't disappointed, the frogs can be some of the most aggravating people on the planet at any time, but it seems they really have their noses out of joint with this country (and the brits) right now! if this turns out to be the case while you are there don't let it spoil your opinion of the rest of europe!

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Nancy

I think Betsy hit the nail on the head. I have always considered myself a non-prejudiced person but travel has confirmed it and made me even more tolerant, if that's possible. I truly enjoy seeing other cultures and find the world filled with wonderful, kind people. Sure there are some jerks as at home but they're to be overlooked and enjoy the positive. I'm sorry for my friends that do not travel, mainly thru prejudice and fear. I hope that we who enjoy it keep it up.