Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What do you CARRY ON the plane (besides your carry-on:-) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-do-you-carry-on-the-plane-besides-your-carry-on-476746/)

reedpaints Sep 26th, 2004 02:55 PM

What do you CARRY ON the plane (besides your carry-on:-)

Hi everyone --

I'm wondering what all of you savvy travelers carry on the plane with you in addition to your carry-on (if you take one). Do you take a big purse or a tote? Do you take a change of clothes??? Books? Music? More shoes:-)?

Maybe this can turn into a Tips thread.

Please comment if you can!

ira Sep 26th, 2004 02:57 PM

Hi reed,

I carry on my carryon. I wear my jacket and hat and put them in the overhead.

cigalechanta Sep 26th, 2004 03:03 PM

I check my 22" and carry a backparck with a change of clothes in case luggage is lost but mostly, after picking up the rental car, I'll change somewhere off the road.

nibblette Sep 26th, 2004 03:27 PM

I carry my coat/jacket. In my rucksack: my camera, ipod, books, a change of clothes, a small purse, and any special clothes/shoes. I actually can get a little sleep with my ipod. I don't like the music selections on the plane. I also usually have some nibbles as well (chocolate, biscuits/cookies) and a bottle of water.

dee20002 Sep 26th, 2004 03:32 PM

Well, my deal recently (and I replan it each overseas trip) is one backpack with computer, books, camera, etc., and a larger backpack/roll-on (but smallish to fit) with a skirt, pair pants, couple tops, another prshoes, and a complete toiletry kit -- on the assumption I may have to live off what I carry. I wear heavier shoes, heavier clothes, hat if one, jacket, and I use a little waistpack for tickets, money, passport, kleenex instead of a purse.

lyb Sep 26th, 2004 03:39 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned medications....I always carry any medication with me, books, maybe crosswords puzzles, my glasses, saline solution and case for contact lenses, gum, of course, my camera and anything related to my camera, any reservation confirmations, toothbrush and toothpaste, jewelry (though I'll bring a limited amount, but I won't check it)

Maybe the above is what you meant by "besides your carry-on", and if I were to look at it that way, it would be "nothing" I guess.

MelP Sep 26th, 2004 03:53 PM

I guess you mean to have at hand... I usually carry a largish everyday shoulder bag normally, so in that I carry a book and/or magazine to read, a bottle of water, headphones, gum, tissues, maybe a snack depending on the flight, camera, umbrella, a map of my destination and one guidebook (this gets packed in luggage homeward bound), my travel documents, pen and paper, freshening wipes and hand sanitizer, and a small pencil bag with the very basics of toiletries and a clean pair of underwear (only outbound, not homeward), just in case!

Lisa1271 Sep 26th, 2004 03:57 PM

Besides what everyone else has mentioned, I bring a frozen bottle of water. After the 2 hour wait at home airport then the wait at the connecting airport, by the time I'm on my way to Europe the ice is half melted and I have cold, fresh water for sipping throughout the flight. And don't forget toothbrush/toothpaste, towelette and whatever else you need to feel fresh after an 8 hour flight.
Lisa S

cigalechanta Sep 26th, 2004 03:57 PM

Camera, film, resto notes; etc are in my handbag.with other paper work.
I don't take anything medically, but tooth paste, brush, etc. stuff like that is also in my backpack with a pashima shawl(because it weighs next to nothing) as I always freeze on planes.

nytraveler Sep 26th, 2004 04:08 PM

Just my carry on - and my purse. For a longer trip I have a Sportsac purse - with a novel, guidebook or 2, magazines, I-Pod, sweater (in case of cold), bottle of water and a couple of snacks - in case the ever spiraling ghastliness of airline food reaches an even newer low (as well as all the usual purse stuff).

The carryon (a bigger Sportsac) holds all my toiletries, accoutrements, camera/film, mini umbrella, etc - a change of clothes and several pair of undies (just in case luggage is delayed - this has never happened since I started caryying all the extra undies - go figure).

And, if the airline give me any grief - the purse can fit inside the larger Sportsac.

PS - my standard is I need to be able to pick up both of these and run - easily - up a couple of flights of stairs - since - you never know. I don;t use a wheeled carry-on for that reason.

Travelnut Sep 26th, 2004 04:47 PM

We each bring a travel pillow from WalMart - they are at least twice as big as those 'cotton balls' the airline gives you. We might even squish them into the bag later for extra hotel pillow... they eventually get left behind, espec.if we buy goodies, but it's ok, they only cost $2.50.

P_M Sep 26th, 2004 05:08 PM

I bring a change of clothes and shoes, an umbrella, toiletries, Rx, snacks, camera, reading material, and a nice, big bar of soap. I know the hotels provide soap, but I hate using soap bars so small they could be mistaken for a chiclet. I will have to look into getting one of those WalMart pillows.

cigalechanta Sep 26th, 2004 05:14 PM

P_M....LOL we also bring a bar of soap for the same reason and also a pack of paper dinner napkins and we put a few in our handbags for meals when given those kleenex sized ones.

Tiger_Lily Sep 26th, 2004 05:29 PM

A small cabin trolley bag filled with a mini-version of all my stuff in my main luggage bag, just in case it gets lost in cargo. That goes in the overhead compartment. But if I'm heading for home on the flight back, I throw that into cargo...

My basic necessities I carry with me in my LeSportSac bag which I sling across my shoulder (I hear ya nytraveler... It's get to a point that LeSportSac makes me think of travel). Therein lies my must-haves - books, water tumbler cos they never give me enough to hydrate so I get them to fill up my bottle each time it's empty, my ever important pashmina, woolen socks cos my toes get frozen by the cold aircraft a/c and moisturiser...

Jenner Sep 26th, 2004 05:51 PM

Oh boy. Well, a toddler, a car seat, a huge diaper bag (with toys, diapers, a change of clothes for her, drugs in case she won't sleep ;-), wallet and travel documents, etc) a camera bag with two cameras, a coat if the destination requires it. Oh, and I gate check a stroller.

Gadzooks. I usually bring a book in there somewhere but I NEVER get a chance to open it!

mari5 Sep 26th, 2004 07:18 PM

We're all pretty much the same, aren't we? I have a ROLLING sort of backpack on wheels...and I rollup my 3/4 coat tightly and rubber band it for the bottom of carryon, (in Nov and March)...then small cosmetic case, and small medicine case, camera, water bottle, blow up neck pillow, snack/mints, book/magazine, etc...and I always leave room to put in my 3 zippered PURSE,,,so all I have to do in the airports is to ROLL the carryon and not worry about the purse.

l_jackson95814 Sep 26th, 2004 11:32 PM

I bring a backpack with, laptop (wish it could be checked), toiletries, moisturizer (forgot last time, very bad), ipod, magazines, pashmina, water bottle, fruitrolls and energy bars (airline food is not good), medication, business cards and note paper.

nanb Sep 27th, 2004 02:49 AM

Tote; and lots of books, my travel kit with all the assorted flotsam, any meds, glasses, important papers, and definitely at least one change of clothing, camera, film, one or two smallAirline type) bottles of my favorite liquore becasue I dislike only having choice of vodka, rum, whiskey, etc. (Unfortunate I can not find tiny bottles of limoncello in the states yet..... )
Also, travel sized roll of duct tape

Kids carry books,magazines, music, their travel kits, daughter includes her favorite bear in it, snacks, more music, small travel games, and I make sure they at least have a change of underclothing a clean shirt.

Londonholly Sep 27th, 2004 03:29 AM

I take a shoulder or handheld bag containing:
pashmina
book
handcreme and small make up bag with wetones and travel sized shower gel and desinfectant and lotion
T-Shirt and something else to change in case I need it
diary
sunglasses
mobile
purse
umbrella
passport
on my way home I usually have a second (sometimnes third) bag to carry my shopping home...

Londonholly Sep 27th, 2004 03:31 AM

...oh, and medicine and make up as well.
I thought I am traveling light, maybe I have to downsize?