Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What do you carry in your travel daypack?

Apr 15th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Ready to Go

I'm trying to see what I need ON me in my travel daypack as we see the sights.

1)Wallet
2)Passport
3)Camera
4)Film
5)Maps
6)Copies of Guidebook pgs. we'll be using
7)Sunscreen
8)Extra pair of shoes(I have to change half way through the day)
9)Small tube of vasoline for beginning blisters (Fodors recommendation)
10)Hand lotion
11)Addresses and phone #s of places we are seeing and staying at
12)Journal
13)Sunglasses
14)Breathmints/gum

Am I forgetting anything else?

Apr 15th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Monica

This is my list:

*Map
*City guidebook (a small one) or copied pages from a guidebook. When I am done with the guidebook (copied pages from the book), I throw them away. There is no need to bring them home. I do bring my map home with me if I don't have a second one at home. It's good to keep one for future reference.

*Journal/pen/small spiral notebook, which contains various information
*Travel language book
*Packet of kleenex
*Small water bottle that I purchase and later fill at the hotel
*My super light tote umbrella (unless I know the weather report for the day)
*Camera, couple rolls of film per day
*2 sets plastic utensils for picnics or snacks along the way (depending on the day)
*Wet naps
*Contact lens eye solution
*Copy of our passports
*Lipstick or chapstick.

Apr 15th, 2002, 11:10 AM
me too

RTG:
I take:
small packs of tissues
bottle of Purell or similar
aspirin
Immodium
extra socks
camera
extra batteries for camera
wallet
sunglasses
umbrella

Depending on time of year-gloves.

Apr 15th, 2002, 11:25 AM
liz

Hi,
I can't stand tonnage so here is what I would do. I also don't want to carry stuff that other people in the group don't want to carry for themselves.
1. Unless you are going somewhere really out there or plan to cash travellers checks, leave the passport at the hotel. If your pack gets lost or stolen, you lose a day to replace.
2. I only use disposable cameras now, much lighter, and people really only want to see people pictures anyway which come out great with the disposables.
3. Maps are just a way to telling people you are a tourist. I agree with ripping pages out of guidebooks but be sure to check them somewhere other than in the middle of the street. Study maps in your room and be prepared ahead of time, more fun anyway.
4. Don't bring your full wallet, same as #1. Just a single credit card and enough cash for the day.
5. Card from your hotel especially in Asia.
6. Sunglasses, bandaids, kleenex, couple of aspirin. No packages of anything. Store the bandaids and lipstick and a few kleenex along with your glasses in the sunglasses case, and your credit card.
7. Tiny comb and lipstick, any color
Now you don't need a day pack, just a very small purse that you can loop over one shoulder. You just escaped from looking like a tourist and a potential mark to looking like a normal person.

After this I can't stand it. If I want water I stop and buy a bottle. If it rains when it wasn't supposed to, I buy yet another cheap umbrella. No need for sunlotion etc. unless you are really in a hot, hot place. You didn't say beach so I am assuming city. Don't hand your purse, pack or whatever over your chair when dining. I have seen people get ripped off so easily when distracted. Have fun!

Apr 15th, 2002, 11:29 AM
elvira

Lightweight tiny purse contains passport, money, atm & credit cards, any tickets I need for the day

Day tote (not a backpack): camera, 2 rolls of film, map, 1-2 sheets of notebook paper with day's itinerary, one pack of kleenex. My raincoat has a hood (like an evening cape's, not that drawstring variety) so I only take an umbrella if a torrential downpour is predicted.

After years of lugging stuff around, I've got it to a manageable level. Sometimes, I even leave the camera and film in the hotel or apartment....

Apr 15th, 2002, 11:30 AM
elaine

Pretty much what is listed above, plus a couple of bandaids for those incipient blisters.
I don't bring extra batteries because I change 'em all, watches, cameras, travel clocks, before I leave. Just one less thing(s) to worry about.

Add reading glasses or small magnifying glass for the map, if you need them.
Depending on weather, sometimes I add a shawl or light sweater.
I'm assuming atm/credit cards and some cash, plus any tickets or passes needed for the day.
Sometimes I take a small pair of binoculars if I'll be doing any ceiling gazing.
I don't carry the hand lotion, but I do bring some of the hand wipes. Those and tissues also come in handy in under-equipped restrooms. I also carry a one-page grid (spread sheet, excel) of which things are open or closed on which days, and the sites are grouped by neighborhood or metro stop. It keeps me from constantly thumbing through my guidebook, which I do carry with me, but just one.

Apr 15th, 2002, 11:50 AM
lisa

In addition to most of what's listed here, I bring:
1. A couple of tiny single-use capsules of saline eye drops for dry eyes/fussy contact lenses.
2. Addresses for postcards to send to friends & family in case I feel like writing them while sitting in a cafe, waiting in line, riding on the train, etc (all on one piece of paper).
3. Extra camera battery
4. Antibacterial hand wipes
5. small phrase book/menu translator
6. If my hotel doesn't have a safe, I also keep my airline ticket home with me at all times, in my money pouch.
7. Hairbrush and barrette/hair band/hat

Apr 15th, 2002, 11:55 AM
liz

Contrary to the other person, I would NOT carry my airline ticket home with me at any time. It cannot be used by anyone else because of the stringent ID requirements. What a hassle if you lose this, you will probably have to buy another one. Another good trick is to have people's addresses pre-written on sticky labels that you can easily slap onto a postcard when you arrive.

Apr 15th, 2002, 12:17 PM
janis

Liz and elvira have it about right. Pare down and don't carry a day pack. At most, a smallish tote bag is all that is needed (I use full size or compact 35mm cameras so I do carry a small tote bag - If I used disposables I wouldn't even need that).

Remember - many Museums, shops, etc do not allow backpacks of any kind inside. You end up having to check all those "important" things you are carting around - waiting in a line to check it and again to retrieve it. Way too much trouble.

Apr 15th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Sue

The one good thing about a backpack is that your husband may feel more comfortable about carrying it. I have been traveling with a tote bag and noticed after many trips (bit slow on the uptake) that my husband didn't carry a darn thing EVER.

Apr 15th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Karen

Money
Passport
Baby Wipes (great skin freshener)
M.A.C. blot powder
lip gloss
sunglasses
spf lotion
camera
Band-aids
map/guidebook
hairbrush
altoids/gum
Evian atomiser

Apr 15th, 2002, 01:17 PM
xxx

Dear R to G

I'd recommend carrying a moleskin for your budding blisters instead of Vaseline. I've tried everything and moleskin works the best every time. Pick up a packet in any drugstore before you leave.

If your daypack has two zippers, lock the tabs together with a small padlock. My lightweight backpack has several compartments, so I just lock the one with my wallet and passport.

I tuck in a small bottle of water, too.

Apr 15th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Sandy

I don't carry a purse or daypack . . . I always wear a shirt with two pockets and pants that have two-to-four pockets. I carry a credit card, enough money for the day, a tube of lipstick, camera, extra camera battery (have digital camera so don't need film), and copy of my passport in my pants' pockets. I carry a small notebook/pen in one shirt pocket and any torn-out tourist pages in the other pocket or in one of my pants pockets. I hate carrying anything in my hands and I don't have to worry about leaving/losing something. Works for me!

Apr 15th, 2002, 09:03 PM
gary

Travel daypack contains camera, film, kleenex tissues, water bottle, travel umbrella; leave room for jacket depending on weather. Guidebook or map in my hands. That's it. NEVER my wallet, passport, or tickets. Those are securely inside my clothing on my person.

Apr 15th, 2002, 11:11 PM
ja

Money, passport, credit card, traveller's cheques are in my moneybelt with a small coin purse containing a bit of $$ in a front pants pocket, pinned shut. Daybag has phrasebook, map, camera in a nylon 1st-aid case, waterless hand wash, bottle of water,umbrella if in a rainy area, windbreaker folded into a packet,small notebook with a pen, few essential meds in a waterproof container,extra film, few bandaids, CPR mask attached to a penlight, sunblock &/or bug repellent if needed. Mints and lip block in a pants pocket, sunglasses on a cord.

Apr 16th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Nancy

Thanks for the great idea of carrying a copy of your passport.

Apr 16th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Sally

Ja: What is a CPR mask?

Apr 16th, 2002, 07:16 AM
ja

Hi, Sally,
It's a mouth gaurd with a one-way valve that is used to administer rescue breathing when performing CPR. It's disposable(single use) and in a packet about 2-21/2 inches square. I'm an RN, and have had to perform first aid in the most unusual places, so I figured it couldn't hurt to be prepared. Featherweight and tiny, so I carry it everywhere.
ja

Apr 16th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Dick Yeager

My wife had a great idea about address labels for post cards home.

I bought this package of white labels ideal for post cards. They come three to a sheet.

After reading many good ideas on this board I recommended that she pre-address all the labels to whomever we would be sending post cards to. I figured three cards per person maximum, over the course of our trip.

Since my wife is a genius, she filled out only the first label on each page. Figured she can do the others as we go.

Dick