Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What do we look for at the Venice train station, Piazzale Roma?

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We leave Friday for a 13-day cruise and all of the luggage that goes with it. We would like to leave our larger pieces (30") at the train station and just take a small bag with us to our hotel in Venice. I know the signs will not be in English. What should we look for at the train station? Are there lockers large enough for luggage this size or is there an area where luggage can be stored for a short period of time. I would really appreciate any help. We do not want to lug all our luggage onto the Vaporetto. Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:50 PM

Ladell,

Piazzale Roma and the Venice train station (Santa Lucia) are not the same place. Where are you arrving, Piazzale Roma (which is basically the parking garage area) or at the Santa Lucia train station?

If you clarify, someone may be able to assist you.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

We are flying into Marco Polo airport. We will take the bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma. I do not know where they will drop us from this point. We have never been to Venice and are trying to get some idea what to expect when we get there.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 01:13 AM

Ladell - Piazzale Roma is just across the Grand Canal from the station. It's one stop (2 mins) on the vaporetto BUT it's a hike (10-15 mins with luggage) on foot.

If you don't want to take your luggage on the vaporetto and prefer not to walk, I'd suggest an alternative plan:

Take the bus from the airport to MESTRE instead of Piazzale Roma. This bus stops at Mestre station, from where there are trains every 5/10 mins across to Venice (SANTA LUCIA).

In Santa Lucia station follow signs for the left luggage store - 'DEPOSITO BAGAGLI'

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 03:33 AM
ira

Excellent advice from Steve.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 07:41 PM

LaDell, when you get off the trains in Venice at SL, as you walk off the platforms, there are signs for "Left Luggage". It is off to the right. You check your bags there, pay for the first day, then pay for the rest when you pick them up. It was 3E per bag per 12 hours (so basically 6E/day). Well worth it, and we didn't have any problems with anything going missing.

Hope this helps!
Anne
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 07:31 AM
ira

Hi all,

I entered "left luggage office" at www.freetranslation.com and got

l'ufficio di bagaglio sinistro

Which, when translated back to English, became

the left office of luggage

Look for a sign that shows a picture of a suitcase.

Old Aug 1st, 2004, 08:28 AM

The baggage storage area at the Venice train station (SL) can be found on the train platform vs in the station ticket/waiting area. When you walk in to the station, go through the station/waiting area through the doors to the train tracks. The luggage storage area is on the left side (in the corner) of the train platform. I am not sure of the hours of operation. Perhaps someone else could assist with that.