Reload this Page >

What do Londoners want for Christmas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Malena

Hi there,<BR><BR>I want to bring my cousins who live in London (and Brussels) some gifts from the US that may be difficult to obtain over there. Ideally, these gifts will be easily transported in my luggage.<BR><BR>Any ideas?

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 06:32 PM
John G

Malena, my London relatives, for some strange reason, love American Christmas ornaments. Don't ask me why. All I know is that when any of them come to visit me, I have to take them to Target or Hallmark where they proceed to buy every Christmas decoration in the store. It has something to do with the variety of Christmas ornaments I guess. I think they said that you can only get the standard "ball and tinsel" -type ornaments over there. Another thing they absolutely love, again I don't understand, are lawn ornaments-like gnomes, little windmills, and ESPECIALLY those plastic pink flamingos. My Aunt Pat found a pair in South Carolina, had them shipped over, and now they are in her garden, and she says all of her neighbors are green with envy. Go figure?

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 06:54 PM
Malena

Wow, John, thanks! The first one sounds great. I don't know about the second, though, those cousins of mine are definitely on the snooty side if you know what I mean. <BR><BR>Do the kids like clothing from American icons like the Gap or those kinds of places?

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 10:59 PM
amy

malena,<BR><BR>don't bother with the gap-we have tons of them over here! however,there aren't any old navy's-and while i know that's not a snooty store-i know several brits here who like to have something american that no one else can get.<BR><BR>also, there is a thread about american gifts to italian relatives which might help you out. it talks about food ideas-mostly typical new england foods-don't know where you are from but some of the suggestions were clam chowder, etc. perhaps you could bring some regional stuff. if they live in london they do get oreos, old el paso, and other american things-any more questions, i'd be happy to reply.

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 04:06 AM
Malena

Thanks, Amy that is very kind of you. I have to find things for a snooty couple, a cool couple, and 5 kids ages 18(boy), 14(girl), 6(girl), and 4(girl and boy). The younger ones live in Belgium. What do you think?

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 07:21 AM
Hermione

Apparently the Lego Hogwarts set is almost unobtainable here.. Harry Potter fans would be your friends for life!

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 08:28 AM
Becca

Hi,<BR>I will tell you what I sent to my host family in Finland, if that might help a little. Two parents and four kids - boys 18 and 16 and girls 12 and 8.<BR><BR>I got all of them a piece of WI/Badger clothing. A jacket for my dad, a sweatshirt for my Mom, long sleeved tees for the boys and tee-shirts for the girls. (TIP: anyone who likes WI and can get to Madison, there's a really great store named Steve and Barry's where the stuff is really cool and cheap!)<BR><BR>Then I got my mom a bottle of Victoria Secret's lotion and some pumpkin room spray and potpourri. I bought some really good hot chocolate mix for my dad. I got one boys a hard-topped cd holders and the other boy english dictionary daily calendar.<BR><BR>The girls got some funny plastic 'jewelry' from Old Navy and some other cute things, like a mini-picture frame.<BR><BR>I sent my friends in Finland sprays from Victoria's secrets (they LOVE those!) and lip glosses from the Gap.<BR><BR>Hope this helps and good luck!

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 01:10 PM
amy

malena,<BR><BR>happy to help. okay-for the older kids-if you can guess well at their sizes i'd suggest either some cool tops from old navy or sweatshirts/t-shirts with an american sports team logo-i see more brits wearing yankees hats over here than you can imagine! if you don't know sizes, baseball hats would work well. perhaps for the teenage girl, some of the accessory items that old navy sells would be a good idea-like a purse/backpack type thing from old navy and/or some of the hair things they have. by the way-they really like brands over here-and again, despite the fact that it's not upmarket, it is exclusive to the u.s.-so it's considered special. i've also heard people wonder where they can get abercrombie and fitch stuff they've seen on tourists-so if that suits you better for the boy-go for it, but i think the old navy extras are perfect for a teenage girl. <BR><BR>the little ones: i know they don't have g.i. joe over here-don't know if that interests you-i haven't seen slinkys over here-which would be really light to travel with-and good for both the ages and sexes. we get legos over here and most other toys. slinkys are prob. the best bet. we get dr. seuss books, etc.<BR><BR>i would also highly recommend bringing some sweets-kids love them. we don't get hostess or drake cakes here at all and anything with peanut butter is considered uniquely american. you could bring a jar or reese's pieces/cups. belgian chocolate is considered the best in all of europe so i'd stay away from hershey's and only go for something peanut butter since they really don't use it over here and it will be different.<BR><BR>now, the hard part-those couples. <BR>just some ideas: not sure where you live, but i'm from the east coast and while i don't love the homey look of them, i do love the scents of yankee candles and i've tried to find similar ones here but none are even close. while a big one would be heavy, you could do a number of small votives with matching glass holders. might be good for the snootier couple.<BR><BR>while the candles would work for the cool couple, they might also really enjoy the regional food thing. i don't know if mexican foods are avail in brussels-but you could do things like salsa & flour burritos, clam chowder, bisquick and maple syrup (that is VERY<BR>expensive over here in london), perhaps some cajun spices, apple butter, you get the idea-sort of a 'round the u.s. food-wise. i realize this could be cumbersome-but might be a cool gift as well. <BR><BR>on the same front-we have snooty brit friends over here who fell in love with williams-sonoma last time they were in the states. for either couple ws might have some uniquely american kitchen supplies (muffin pans and a recipe book about these things)-if either are into cooking. (muffins are considered 'american'). barbecuing is also still very american, though they do it here as well. i know ws has a grilling cookbook and sells grill accessories. <BR><BR>one last idea-the snooty folks we know also liked pottery barn-especially some christmasy item with reindeers as votive holders-which i think they still carry. while it'd be a bit too holiday-ish for me, folks here can be very traditional and something like this might work merely because it's something no one else will have if you are coming near the holidays.<BR><BR>i hope some of the above mentions will strike you as suitable or convenient-sorry i couldn't provide more about the little ones-perhaps you could get regional here too-if you live in nyc-maybe you could get a little ny taxi car for the boy?<BR> <BR>let me know how it all worked out and good luck!!!!<BR>

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 01:15 PM
amy

p.s. one more idea-if you are from a touristy area: i.e. la, san francisco, new orleans, etc. you could do touristy t-shirts or sweatshirts for the little ones. my 5 yr old nephew in the states loves these.

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 03:22 PM
Malena

Oh my gosh, I cannot believe all of the wonderful ideas that y'all have given me!!!<BR><BR>Thank you so very much!

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 05:26 PM
Brenda

I brought maple syrup and pancake mix to my upscale friends in Wiltshire and they were thrilled. Of course, I brought other stuff like homemade preserves and maple candy, but the pancakes and syrup were the big hits.

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 02:40 AM
kavey

Most of the above ideas are fabulous.<BR>I like the idea of Harry Potter merchandise if you can log onto some UK site and see what we have and then find something we don't.<BR><BR>Candles and food stuffs excellent though in UK, particularly in London we can get Mexican stuff such as flour tortillas without any problem at all.<BR><BR>The only idea I didnt like was the Tshirts or sweatshirts with University or State names on them. I am sorry but I can't be the only person who hates those. I think some Brits really go for those, but a lot don't. I doubt your snooty friends would wear them, but then again, I dont know, they might love them. So it's just my opinion.<BR><BR>Maple Syrup is available here and not desperately expensive (cheaper there I am sure but only a few pounds a bottle here anyway).<BR><BR>I think the Xmas ornaments are the best idea. I LOVE those shops when I come to the US. Try not to go too glitzy, go for the more traditional and tasteful ones. It would help to know if they have a colour themed tree but it doesnt really matter. I love the handmade ones, like a little moose stuffed and dressed in tiny clothes all wintry and cute. And a very very thin enamel heart in a wire edge which has my husband and my name written on with the year. I love that and keep it up all year round.<BR><BR>And lastly, I strongly believe its the thought that counts... I hope they are gracious enough to be pleased with whatever you choose.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.<BR>Kavey<BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 08:14 AM
Marian

Hello Malena. Used to live in the US and what I really miss is L L Bean's Blueberry Syrup. It's the best. Not too sweet, like some other types. In fact it goes beautifully with crepes. You can buy French crepe mix in the supermarkets here in Belgium.<BR><BR>I'm afraid I'm another one who misses those great Christmas ornaments - I used to collect the Hallmarks Can't seem to get them in Europe. I also miss stores selling general Americana, New England type ornaments.<BR><BR>Have a lovely trip!

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 10:06 AM
amy

kavey-<BR>you seem quite critical of my efforts to offer some suggestions to malena so let me explain the thought behind those ideas.<BR><BR>i live in london and would like to know where you buy maple syrup. my stores charge 3-5 pounds ($5-7) and in the states it goes for less than $2. that seems like a lot more to me.<BR><BR>the mexican food was a suggestion as part of a regional idea if she is from the southwest and can get more authentic stuff than the old el paso line which i am well aware we have more than enough of here.<BR><BR>and the t shirts/sweatshirts-i know kids over here that do like that stuff-they are not adults. further, if you look around london and see all those yankees hats you'll notice 90percent of the people wearing them aren't american.<BR><BR>i have no problem with us all making suggestions, but i don't think it's necessary to criticize them quite the way you did.

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 10:07 AM
amy

kavey-<BR>you seem quite critical of my efforts to offer some suggestions to malena so let me explain the thought behind those ideas.<BR><BR>i live in london and would like to know where you buy maple syrup. my stores charge 3-5 pounds ($5-7) and in the states it goes for less than $2. that seems like a lot more to me.<BR><BR>the mexican food was a suggestion as part of a regional idea if she is from the southwest and can get more authentic stuff than the old el paso line which i am well aware we have more than enough of here.<BR><BR>and the t shirts/sweatshirts-i know kids over here that do like that stuff-they are not adults. further, if you look around london you'll see loads of yankees hats. i wouldn't wear one, but then again, 90percent of the people wearing them aren't american.<BR><BR>i have no problem with us all making suggestions, but i don't think it's necessary to criticize them quite the way you did.

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 11:09 AM
mediator

REAL maple syrup is about $4USD a bottle here too. the fake stuff is what costs $2USD. I can't actually tell the difference between the two though. <BR> <BR>I also noticed a plethora of NY Yankee hats in London while there in March. Please, do us all a favor and take your friends some Boston Red Sox hats. Many thanks.

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 11:50 AM
kavey

Amy<BR><BR>I certainly didn't mean to offend you, which is why I made it clear my opinions were my own and would likely be different from the next persons.<BR><BR>I am answering as a Londoner but only as one Londoner, I can't answer for others.<BR><BR>I take your point about the cost of Maple Syrup, my feeling was just that for the sake of a couple of dollars it didnt seem such a good present, when it WAS available here, and that, personally, I thought something more unique would be better.<BR><BR>The sweatshirt T shirt thing again is just my opinion. Some Brits love them and pick them up on their annual florida trips. Others think they are the height of naffness and wouldn't be seen dead in them. No big deal, just thought it was a more risky choice given that there was some talk of snootiness. <BR><BR>The Mexican is a lovely idea, again I was just pointing out my own personal opinion, I can only go on what I personally would feel given those gifts and to be honest, I tend to ask people not to bring anything anyway, and am grateful for the thought behind it whatever.<BR><BR>I think the flour tortillas available here are pretty good, I dont tend to use the other el paso stuff much but your idea is nice, and perhaps they would appreciate the more genuine seasonings available.<BR><BR>I really wasn't trying to put your suggestions down, just offer my own opinions on things, which i thought would be interesting just coz I am a fairly typical Londoner, born and bred.<BR><BR>Please forgive me if I have made you feel uncomfortable about making suggestions, it really really wasn't my intention.<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 03:10 PM
American Mom

I was skimming over this thread and thought I would add my 2 cents about what to buy for 6 and 4 year old girls... Why not something from the American Girl doll collection? You can even get matching clothing for the doll and child. VERY American and VERY snooty (IMO) and they would probably love it. You can check it out at www.americangirl.com and you will see what I mean.

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 11:04 PM
me

Hello<BR>I saw in a thread a while back that some people in Great Britain loved our Ranch Dressing and that it was hard to come by in London. Is this true?

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 01:06 AM
amy

re: ranch dressing-yes, that is true-i think it can be found in certain places but definitely don't think it is a mainstream item-so it would be different and american.<BR><BR>re: boston red sox-love the levity!!!<BR><BR>kavey,<BR><BR>thanks for your reply. i appreciate your views, i guess it just came off a bit harsh to me but i am glad you clarified your position. <BR><BR>upon looking back at my original post i noticed that my mexican reference was to the couple in brussels, not london, since i don't think they get the same stuff we have here. regardless-i have no problem with your opinion-again i think it was just the tone that set me off....and sorry for accidentally posting twice!<BR><BR>