Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What do do when arriving in London at 7:00 a.m.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2006, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be arriving in London next week at 7:00 a.m. - from the United States - staying at Claridges in Mayfair - we have asked for early check in - if this doesn't happen, any suggestion on what to do for the next few hours??
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:08 AM

I have always arrived in London on one of those early hours and just getting luggage, through customs, etc will take up some time. Then however you decide to get into town will put you at your hotel too early. The ones we have stayed at have always had a luggage room where your things can be locked up while you perhaps wandered the neighborhood or got a little start on sightseeing and when you got back to the hotel, hopefully your room will be ready. And often there is a lobby FULL of the folks that just want to wait but best to not waste the time,, look around the territory at least. And it will be noon before you know it. Have a great trip. It will be over only too quickley. Halfpint.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:11 AM

Some hotels allow you to use their gym
to shower and change after the flight.
At least you'll feel a little refreshed
before wandering about the city.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:13 AM

Our flight into London last fall landed at about 7 am. Going through customs took a long time, getting luggage was fast, and we had a car waiting. Still, by the time we got to the hotel, it was mid-morning. Our hotel kept our bags for us until our room ready.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:14 AM

I would go to the hotel even if early check in is not available and drop off your luggage. The hotel should be able to hold it for you in a secure location. By the time you have arrived at the hotel and dropped off your luggage, most sights should be open.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:18 AM

find the first cafe/pub/restaurant that offers a full english breakfast - and get your day started right -with beans, bacon rashers and grilled tomatoes. yum!Then take turns sleeping on eachothers shoulders. I always need a nap when taking overnight flights.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:22 AM

I would suggest instead heading off to the Wolseley for a lovely breakfast (Zagats and Hardens say they do the best breakfast in town) in a handsome setting. Not far from Claridges.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 09:46 AM

We usually just ask the hotel to keep our luggage and we stroll around the neighborhood and get a bite to eat. Time usually goes by fairly quickly and before we know it, its time to check in.

Tracy
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 10:14 AM

Don't worry -- Claridge's will take care of you. We arrived early there once, and they fed us tea and cakes in the lobby until our room was ready. I'm sure they would be more than happy to store your luggage if you want to go out while waiting, and will put your luggage in your room when it's ready. They'll unpack it for you, too, if you request it. Claridge's service is not just good -- it's clairvoyant.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 10:19 AM

Claridge's will furnish your every request (within reason).

However, if you were staying at a lesser property, I'd say go for a walk. Use your imagination!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 10:29 AM

Drop off your bags at your hotel, get some breakfast/coffee if you wish, and head for St. Paul's. It opens quite early...if I remember correctly, perhaps 8am?
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 10:32 AM

I agree with the above. I also suggest that regardless of what time you get your room, DO NOT give in to the temptation to take a nap. Stay up and active until after dinner, and if you can make it, do not go to bed until your normal bedtime at home. In my experience this is the best way to beat jet lag. You will still be a bit lagged the next day but it will be much worse if you nap, since most likely the nap will prevent you from sleeping all night. Have fun!
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 12:02 PM

By the time you get to the hotel it will be almost 10am. There is a reasonable chance they will have had a room empty overnight - or an early check out - and can give you a room right away. (Be sure and mention that you have just come off a long overnight flight - and they will try to get you a room soonest.)

If not - just dump your bags with the concierge and have some breakfast (the hotel may offer this free if your rate includes free breakfast - or if you look pitiful). Then go for a walk (sunlight helps reduce jet lag and stretching your legs will help reduce the pretzel feeling you get on any long flight).

By the time you're back your room should be ready and you can shower, unpack, change and head out to the sights.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 01:23 PM

I pay for the night prior so that I can get into my room when I arrive. Then, I unpack, shower etc. By that time it is time for lunch. After lunch I take a short nap before going out for dinner and the evening.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 02:00 PM

We do the same thing as endo. We travel with our children, so it is much easier for us to know that our room is waiting for us.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 02:23 PM

2nd time today this has been asked - so I'll give my answer again, dump the luggage & get on a tour bus
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 10:18 PM

"I pay for the night prior so that I can get into my room when I arrive"

That's fine when you're staying in cheaper properties, but not when you're simply paying for an entire night that you will not receive. If Claridge's seem obliging about the early check-in - and I'm sure that they will be - then leave it at that.

I'd agree with the other poster who said leave your luggage there and go for a walk around Mayfair - I doubt you'll be in the mood for shopping, so walk down Bond St. ignoring the shops, and then along Piccadilly, and if you wait a bit the Royal Academy will be open.