Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What did you do on your first day in Paris?

Aug 29th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

My DH and I are headed to Paris for the first time in mid-Sept. We'd planned to do a Fat Tire Bike Tour the day we arrived, but that plan fell through. We're still doing the tour, just on next day. I think we will spend that first day wandering around the city, just taking it all in without much of an agenda. We're due to arrive in Paris at 7:35 am, so we'll have the whole day.

However, the change of plans has me wondering, what did you do on your first day in Paris?
Aug 29th, 2006, 03:25 PM

We went for a ride on the on the Bateau Mouches,the boat ride on the Seine. You can see most of the major monuments from the Seiene and the breezes keep you awake while fighting jet lag.We didn't arrive until late morning from LAX.
Aug 29th, 2006, 03:27 PM
bellastarr

Others will give better answers than I can.
But my first time went like this.... I emerged from the metro and started on my way to a friend apartment in Monparnasse. I made it only about 50 steps before I was overcome by the smell of fresh pastries, chocolat and...was sucked rapidly into the vortex of the first bakery. When the bakery finished with me, I called my friend and she came to rescue me and we went to a little lingerie shop where I splurged without hesitation on a cobalt blue lace set trimmed with pink satin ribbons and fleurettes.
Then the wandering started. Have fun!

Aug 29th, 2006, 03:28 PM

Were you planning to take the day ride with Fat Tire? You might want to take the night ride instead. It starts at 7pm and takes 4-5 hours. I like staying up late on day one to skip jet lag altogether.
Aug 29th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we were planning for the day tour but waited too late to reserve, so there were no spots. We considered the evening tour, but I am thinking we should go to bed around our normal time (10:30-11:00) then get up early the second day to start hitting the major sites.
Aug 29th, 2006, 03:33 PM

Wander around, drink wine in sidewalk cafes, visit a park or gardens, have dinner, go to bed. I suffer horribly from jet lag and time change so always plan an easy first couple days.
Aug 29th, 2006, 03:36 PM

jb, As I remember we went just a little crazy the first time we went to Paris. It was something like drop the suitcases at the hotel in the 5th. Visit Notre Dame, walk to the Louve, follow the Rick Steves 2 hour tour of the Louve, walk from the Louvre down to the Arc de Triumphe along the Champs Elysees, taking in all the wonderful sights, walk over to the Tour Eiffel and go up to the top for the view and then the looong walk back to our hotel sometime around midnight. The weather was so perfect we didn't want to spend a minute underground in the metro. We must have thought we were in training for a marathon.

I would never recommend doing this and in the years sinse we have revisited all these sites a number of times but at a much slower pace

I hope you discover all the magic to be found in Paris. It is one of our favorite cities. We were there the first time in mid-September and the weather was perfect. I wish the same for you. Deborah
Aug 29th, 2006, 03:59 PM

my first day naturally drew me to the Louvre and the Tuillerie Garden...just walking around and sitting in the park getting over jet lag.

Aug 29th, 2006, 03:59 PM

Last Summer we went on a privately-guided tour of Vaux Le Vicomte at 10:00 AM the first day we arrived in Paris (and we KNOW better but did it anyway!)

I literally fell asleep standing up in one of the rooms at the chateau!

I would not plan anything that first day OR night...just let things happen and get a good night's sleep that night.
Aug 29th, 2006, 04:03 PM

We went on a walking tour and to Montmartre. It was a great day.