What did I eat???

Jul 23rd, 2004, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

What did I eat???

The current thread on the nature of French food has reminded me of a starter I had in Sarlat in the Dordogne a few years ago - I never discovered what it was that was presented to me, but I feel icky thinking about it.

It was a small bowl with a white substance in it, similar in consistency to cottage cheese, smelled foul and tasted (deep breath) as I would imagine scrambled brains to taste like! (Don't ask me why I thought it tasted like this..)

Anyway, I never found out what it was? Any ideas?

Anyone else never found out what they ate?
Jul 23rd, 2004, 02:16 PM

Have had several mystery food experiences...and probably do not want to know the details!
Jul 23rd, 2004, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Judy - do tell more! Where were these gourmet treats and what did they taste like?
Jul 23rd, 2004, 02:20 PM

Was the white stuff of a dairy nature do you think?
Jul 23rd, 2004, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

taggie - sort of dairy in nature but chewy - very chewy. Have you got an idea?
Jul 23rd, 2004, 02:26 PM

Sorry, bbib, no idea - but I'm getting nicely grossed out. This thread will prove very helpful in decreasing my appetite so I can stick to my diet!

This is one of the problems I have with French dining... I'm not adventurous with food, don't like mystery things and I have a very active imagination. So I get an icky feeling very easily. I don't get the full "French experience" when dining over there because I am so tame with my choices.
Jul 23rd, 2004, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

taggie - I know where you are coming from, but I like to try to be adventurous when I am feeling brave enough.
The meal in Sarlat was a set 5 course dinner and with the exception of the mystery starter, it was a fab meal. The best choc dessert I have ever had!
Jul 23rd, 2004, 03:20 PM

Yummm... of course I have no problems with desserts in France!! Even if I don't know everything that's in them.

I thought this thread would turn out to be pretty entertaining and would get more response!!
Jul 23rd, 2004, 03:27 PM

Maybe it WAS brains. They eat calf brains in France.

Or maybe sweetbread NOT to be confused with sweet bread. (For those of you unfamiliar with sweetbread : http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/inde...?date=20010222)
Jul 23rd, 2004, 03:33 PM

Yeah, sweetbread is a misnomer if there ever was one.
Jul 23rd, 2004, 04:53 PM

George Carlin once described an aged, foil wrapped, brown substance found in the back of his refrigerator. Unable to identify it, he claimed, "Could be cake...could be meat."

Last Saturday we ate at Le Belga Queen in Brussels. My main course was Cabillaud. The English (my wife requested the English menu after about 15 minutes of struggling with the many raw-bar selections listed in French) translation was Cuckoo. Thinking I was getting a type of foul, I was suprised to see my plate arrive with a beautiful filet of a white-fleshed, codlike fish. When I arrived home, I Googled Cabillaud to find that it is a popular poisson in Europe...not so much in the US.
Jul 23rd, 2004, 05:00 PM

hi, Cabillaud is a codfish.
Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:04 PM

are you sure it wasn't halloumi cheese (greek?)
Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:15 PM

Halloumi would never ever, ever, ever be served in Sarlat. I can't imagine what it was. Was it really white? Did it really smell foul? What DID it smell like (sweatbreads don't smell and are quite delicious). Was it a cheese, do you think? Cabécous (a delicious goat cheese often served as an appetizer with walnuts and greens)?

I bet it was cabécous. If so, My Lord! you missed out on the opportunity of a lifetime - best cheese in the world. Yes, it smells, but of earth and sky and life itself!
Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:15 PM

Poison and poisson are French for fish. Josh, I didn't quite get the point of your story.
Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:21 PM

Put Your Faith in Cod !!!
Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:50 PM

If you haven't ever tried sweetbread(s), try to keep an open mind- they really are delicious!

(but I'm pretty sure that was not what bbib was served.)
Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:07 PM

bbib, ALWAYS ask what the dish is that you do not like, to be sure you do not order it again and waste your money.
Was it a amuse Buche? That freebie they give you at the start of the meal?
Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:29 PM

As a starter to a 5 course meal in France what you had was most likely a pâté en terrine. This can have almost anything in it. The meat, fish, or fowl is minced and mixed with egg, spices, and whatever and baked. It is served chilled with a garnish of lettuce, a sliver of pickle, sprig of parsley, etc..

Cheeses are served after dinner and patrons are normally given their choice of 3 from a large platter.

Sweetbread is the thymus gland from the throat area of calves and lambs. It is delicious. Brains are also delicious. I wonder what they do with these parts in the USA. The butcher probably keeps them to himself because I have never seen them in a market.
Jul 23rd, 2004, 08:45 PM

..not to comment on the "icky white stuff" but rather on your last point "anyone else never found out what they ate". I had the perverse "pleasure" of institutional food for a number of years when at school. the identity of the meat (or that is what we assumed it was) at dinner to this day remains an unknown. the various proteins (i would hate to term them meat) were always served with 1 of 5 colored jellys so the meats were identified by the color of the jams. i am still living to tell the tale. I must say that i have interest in almost any new eating experience (providing it isnt still moving) and have a cast iron stomach both of which are legacies of the school dining hall.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO